X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

USB to Serial Adapter

Has anyone ever tried to connect to the Rotels to update the firmware using a USB to serial adapter? I'm looking to buy a laptop and not all of them come with a serial port anymore which might not be a problem if the converters work properly.

• jeffst
    • Feb 2003

Andrew,

I don't have a direct repsonse to your question but have read some posts on other reflectors where people are trying to get COM port capability to talk to extrernal equipment. As you say, COM ports are becoming quite rare on laptops. From what I have read, people have had success with USB->COM adaptors. But their success seems dependent on the laptop (and version of WIN) as well as the application they are running (some are trying to run older DOS applications on WIN98 machines).

So I think you can get there - it may just take some tweaking. Possibly a better (more robust?) solution is to use a PCMCIA-COM adaptor. They too can be found.

I think the moral is to but the adaptor locally and be prepared to return it for another!

Good luck,

Jeff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

FYI I ended up with a Dell laptop that didn't have a serial port so I bought a Targus Port Replicator from Dell. I don't know if that would work with the Rotel or not but it didn't work for my pronto so I'm returning it. I ended up with a Keyspan USB to Serial adapter and it works great for both the pronto and Rotel

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"