X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan
    • May 2004

Newbie Ref 30 upgrade question

I'm new to the site. I have a two year old Ref 30 and a 7250 amp. I do not plan to go beyond 5 channel in the foreseeable future. Is it worth it to upgrade to a Ref 31 (the ref 50 software in the same hardware)? Your honest input is appreciated.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Dan,

What price at they quoting you for the upgrade (it will influence the answer)

Geoff

Comment

• Dan
      • May 2004

I was quoted $500 plus shipping and advised to take a vacation (it would take two weeks or so). If it helps I have a Ref7250 amp pushing Vanderteen 3A signature mains, Vandersteen VSM1 Signature rears and VCC1 Sig center and two Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofers (they each have a 300W amp) and Denon 2900 universal player. I watch on a 50' plasma and split about 50-50 between music and HT on the system. I also still listen to a goodly amount of vinyl.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Dan,

I thought so. Only you can decide. A new 7 channel B&K Ref 50 is about US $2000 and a Rotel RSP 1068 arrount $1500 for the right dealer. Then there is the 7 channel Outlaw 950 for about $900.

It comes down to do you like the B&K Sound a lot....

Otherwise my money would be on waiting a little while then the Rotel....

But I'm biased

Geoff

Comment

• Dan
          • May 2004

Thanks Geoff. My question was should I do a software upgrade which does not entail trading out the box. I don't plan on trading out the pre/pro entirely. I think what it may boil down to is: Is it worth it to move up to Dolby Pro Logic II from DTS and DPL I?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Dan,

DPL II does nothing for DTS or DD 5.1 etc - its focused on taking 2 channel sources (stereo and DPL) and converting them into 5.1 sound. It does a great job on DPL sources in particular - so your Cable / Satellite / Free to Air TV shows and movies will all come alive in DPL II Cinema mode ... Some people also like the DPL II Music mode...

I loved DPL II Cinema (and loved DPL IIx even more for my 7.1 system) but it will depend on your listening habits whether you want to spend that much for it...

Why not try the local store and listen to a DPL II reciever (they can all switch back to DPL Emulation Mode so you can A/B the sound processing modes and decide for yourself?

Geoff

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

The ref30 already does 7.1.I don't fully undersatand the question or reason to upgrade.

Comment

• Ziggi
                • Nov 2004

Reference 30

I also have a Reference 30 that has the popping noise and all. I was thinking of upgrading to the Reference 50 but it looks like they have the same problems also. For what I could sell my Ref 30 for and then add the extra $500 + $70 S&H it would have been worth it to just get a 50 but now I am not so sure I want to do that. Maybe Rotel is the answer??

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"