X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phasor
    • Mar 2004

Need upgrade recommendations

Hi all,

This is my first post, but I have been browsing this forum for about a month. My current Rotel equipment consists of RSP-980, RDA-980, and RDA-985. I use Vandersteen speakers with two 2w subs stereoed with the main speakers, and a Vandersteen V2W for the sub channel. The center is a Vandersteen VCC-1 and the surrounds are Vandersteen VSM-1's. I want to get a new processor so I can get rid of pre-pro, Dolby digital decoder, and DTS decoder. I just don't know which processor to upgrade to. Since my Rotel equipment is fairly old...(but it has served me well), I would like to know the major differences between the 1066, 1068, and 1098. Do they have the same audio signature...or is there a marked difference in quality between the three? I am staying 5.1 for awhile as all the wiring is in the walls for 5.1.....I also use Rotel amplification...RB-990 for the mains, RMB-100 monoblock for the center, and RB-980 for the surrounds. The Vandy subs have internal 300 watt amps. My video system consists of a Runco 510 DLP projector and Stewart Luxus deluxe screen. So any info that you can provide on the processors would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Phasor
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

I assume you already know the 1066 is the oldest out of the three. Then came the 1098 and then the 1068.

My understanding is that the 1098 has far better DAC's and processors which really improve the sound quality. Many owners of the 1098 who've owned the 1066 as well say that it's a well worth upgrade. Of course there's also the screen on the 1098 which allows you to preview things before playing on your display. I'm sure other more knowledgeable members here will expand on this.

The 1068 is supposed to have the same DAC's and processors as the 1098. Of course it doesn't have the 1098's screen.

Okay everyone else please jump in now and correct any mistakes I have told.

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection

Comment

• Phasor
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for the info...I guess now I am looking more for the audio differences between the 1068 and 1098...is there more than just the TFT screen?

Thanks, Phasor

Comment

• mpauline
        • Dec 2003

Phasor,

I was in a similar position a month ago. I listened to the 1068 and the 1098 using the same speakers, dvd player, dvd, etc. In my opinion the 1098 was the winner. Was the 1068 inferior. No I would definitely not categorize it as that. It was an excellent pre/pro for the money.

I went with the 1098 because I thought that the soundstage was more airy, open, less compressed. Again I reiterate that the 1068 sounded very good. For me after listening to the Lexicon MC8, Krell Showcase and Anthem AVM20 the winner was the 1098. Bang for the buck it was the best performer.

Now maybe for you the 1068 will be the best bang for the buck. The reality is that it does not quite sound as good as the 1098 and should not given the fact that it is less money, otherwise Rotel would have made a marketing mistake. But as with anything else there is a diminishing returns issue to deal with.

I wish that I had just bought the 1068 and never listened to the 1098 because I would have bought it, been very happy, and saved money. Once I listened to the 1098 there was no choice for me otherwise I would be upgrading again within to short a time span.

When I purchased the 1098 I did it NOT FOR the screen. That being said in my theater application it is very handy because my gear is not in the same room as my monitor and screen. This way I can cue up a movie in the other room before even turning on my projector.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

How's about the 1066? I am in the same boat as Phasor also (with identicle pre/pro) and I see that the newest version of the 1066 can be had for around the 1K mark. Are the 1068, 98 far superior? Or is it features? I listen to about 75% tunes and the rest is movies, dtv and dvd. Would one even bennefit by going to the 7.1 channels? I allready have 8 channels of power but wouldn't mind sprucing up the front end.

Comment

• Phasor
            • Mar 2004

I guess that I am going to have to go and try and listen to the 1068 and 1098..however, the nearest dealer to me doesn't have any in stock. He can order them, but I would like to be able to listen and check features with music and movies first. So.....it looks like I will have to try and locate a dealer that has them in stock and go give them a try...thanks for the info that has been provided....

Phasor

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Soundhound,

I upgraded from the 1066 to the 1098 and I considered the upgrade well worth the money (have not tested the 1068). I then upgraded to a RB-1080 for front channel duties (upgraditis), okay so now I can utilize 7.1. Initially, the upgrade to 7.1 was pretty good, not overwhelming. Then comes the DoProIIx upgrade, I'm excited, I recalibrated my speakers and voila, I am indeed now overwhelmed with acoustical bliss, (of course I also upgraded my center back speakers to compensate, the upgraditis bug strikes again), this is just in reference to HT, I am currently still tweaking the benefits of Music playback, but 7 channel stereo is much better after the upgrade.

In summary if you have the room for 7.1 it is definitely worth it. Your mileage of course may vary.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Yes it does Azeke, Thank You, I am 8 hrs from the nearest dealer so listening prior to buying is not really an option. I am relying on what I read in the different spots on the net to go ahead and make my plunges. Most of this Rotel gear holds its value so if I "buy" to "try" a $50 loss is not going to make or break me. Dont get me wrong, 50 bucks is 50 bucks, but hey, I have pissed away more than that on much worse hobbies. Yes, thanks to all for their input.

Comment

• Phasor
                  • Mar 2004

My local Rotel dealer is getting a 1068 in next week, so I will at least be able to give that one a listen and viewing...I will probably have to go to Denver to see a 1098...anyway, if the 1068 impresses me alot over my RSP-980...then I might not even want to go hear the 1098... :roll: ...might save some coin to spend elsewhere....

Phasor

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"