X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenh
    • Sep 2000

MC-1/2

Ok, why are the reviewers and people giving the lex a bad rap on the their two channel reproduction of music, I'm I missing something here? although i would really like to see them give there new processor ( who knows when) a two channel bypass
  • Ken McDaniel
    • Aug 2000

Personally, I don't think they need to change this American Bad-Ass one bit. Analog pass through's are nice ...... if you use an analog source. I don't think there are that many people that run analog sources (cassette, vinyl, or reel2reel) through this particular processor. Usually people that picky about their analog sound use a dedicated 2-channel analog processor. They few times I've heard 2-channel reproduction on this unit I've been blown away. I'd have to question the other components in the reviewing system to see if they are a good match for the processor.

Ken
    Ken

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Kenh, I think one of the reasons it gets the 1/2 mark is: Expectations. The fact is that the DC-1 got such BAD reviews for 2 channel, that I really believe that the reviewers to some extent at least, have allowed their psyche to be influenced by this fact. Therefore, they subconsciously expect the MC-1 to perform like the DC-1 did. So many times in fact, it does as far as they are concerned.

As far as a new processor from Lexicon? For my needs, I am not sure that there really would be enough difference to justify a large financial expenditure. First off, not sure that I would be able to financially. Second of all, the MC-1 does a wonderful job for me! I almost hope that this produce is not introduced for quite some time really. To remove the temptation, lol.

Now, back to the evaluations. I do believe that the equipment you surround any processor with, (no pun intended), is key to the MC-1's performance. That because, it is a system we are talking about. The product cannot perform by itself. In fact, for my system, I can't say that the Lexicon is "the" product that gives my system it's great sound. In fact, it is the synergy of several very good products that interact to bring me very good multi-channel, and yes, 2 channel audio. So, I give the MC-1 an 8 of 10 across the board. I knock it a little for the remote, which I have never liked. Also, the less than "rugged" not so great looks of the MC-1. It is spectacularly ordinary in that regard. But as far as the audio? I don't think I could fairly rank digital processor much higher than the MC-1 scores in my system. Also, the ease of operation and configuration are outstanding. So, I think Ken was right. Question the other components in the loop or speakers, if your not getting desired results.

My solution to the reviewers? Buy one, and write your own damn review. I maintained from the first evening I spent with the MC-1, that the reviewers were way to hard on the MC-1. It is in the end, what your ears think that matters most.

I have found that the MC-1 performs as good as the source material auditioned. At times, that even includes movie DVDs but particularly true for CD playback.

Lex

Comment

• MRWILLL
        • Aug 2000

I agree with Ken & Lex, surround all components with good components. I ran one set of my analog outputs from my Pioneer DV-09 to my Onkyo power amp with Variable inputs with seperate L/R volume controls, and the other set into my Lexicon DC-1 (vers.4/upgraded to 24-bit DAC's).

I invited my buddies Gary (Meridian) and James (DC-1) over to hear the difference, if any. I adjusted the volume using my SPL meter. Neither one of us could tell any difference in sound. I am very happy with my 2/ch sound. When I do listen to 2/ch, I use my sub as a very slight roll-off. I know that there are better 2/ch dedicated pre amps out there, but I'll take 7.1 movies and 7.1 music surr anyday. Multi-channel listening is my cup of tea. I'll be looking for a Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player. I hope my buddy will be able to modify it like he did his. I heard this player at his house against his big Krell (forgot model no) CD player. I couldn't believe my ears. I'll ask him when I get the player.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
        STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• John Beavers
          • Aug 2000

The issue with the MC-1 and two channel playback is only apparent if you are use a high end pre-amp to make the comparison with; and the same amp of course. My system is set up to where I can do just that. I have a Plinius 8150I Integrated amp. My MC-1 is connected to this integrated. I can switch off the pre-amp in the 8150 by flipping a switch. This allows the pre-amp in the MC-1 to control the Plinus amps. The Cal Audio CD player I have is connected to the MC-1 via a digital out. The Cal Audio player is connected to the Integrated via the R/L outs. I've also connected it to the MC-1 via this method also. In extensive tests with the same CD material I've found that the CD/Integrated combo produced a more detailed, punchy sound than the MC-1/Plinius amp combo. Not that that combo was shabby sounding, it was just was more lively and solid sounding on the CD/Integrated combo.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"