I must be nuts...getting rid of my beloved Citation amps and Lexicon MC1...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

I must be nuts...getting rid of my beloved Citation amps and Lexicon MC1...

Last week, I sold my MC1 and one of my Citation 5.1 amps. My 2nd 5.1 amp is going to a friend later this month. I am replacing this wonderful combo with: DC1 version 4.0, Rogue Magnum 66 tube preamp with HT unity gain bypass, Parasound 2200II 250x2 amp, and Parasound 1205A 140x5 amp. For just a couple of hundred bucks more, I think I got noticebably better 2 channel gear for my NHT 3.3s, and did not lose much for HT. The 2200II is a John Curl design and has dual 1.2kVA power transformers :LOL: Both parasounds are coming next week.

The Rogue sounds totally amazing. Huge soundstage, warm, lush, detailed. My normal music listening is around 80 dB; I sometimes feel the urge to play louder. And that's with the lowly dacs in my Panasonic RP91 dvd.

The DC1 sounds pretty close to the MC1, but has less resolution and is not as smooth (which is not always a bad thing, as some may say the MC1 is toooooo smmoooooothhh). DC1 has only four digital inputs and 3 s-video inputs, which is just enough for my DVD, DSS, VCR, and XBox. I was told the DC1 has a DC trigger; does anyone know what kind of cable I need to buy?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Wow! 8O

Ricky, I can't imagine wanting to get rid of an MC-1 and two Citations, much less actually doing it. That new system's sound must be off the charts. Sorry, but I can't really be of help on the cable question.

Congratulations on the new equipment. Keep us posted on the results, okay?

Also, welcome to the forum! Kick back and stay a while.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Oh Ricky Ricky Ricky, what have you done, lol. Well, I see your point, taking the investment value of the MC-1 and converting it to somewhat of a best of both worlds scenerio. If 2 channel is really important, maybe that was the right decision!

Congrats on the new acquisitions. I don't use my MC-1 for music now. It could well be that I could get by with a DC-1 about as well. But I will keep the MC-1 for now.

See Club Harman for details on switching for the DC-1......

Welcome. Sorry about the circumstances, whatever's going on there...

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Great choice in a new preamp! The Rogue is one terrific preamp, I was contemplating doing something similar myself. Came very close to buying the Rogue with the idea of switching interconnects between it and my Casablanca. While contemplating the decision I tried a Granite Audio tube CD player in my system and liked it so much I went with that instead. Using the analog direct inputs I can bypass the DACs in the Casablanca and don't have to switch out interconnects.
        I think the Rogue is almost as good as a Hovland at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Sounds like a logical approach myself. I know you've been through a lot of gear (even more then me 8O ) so you know what you should have a good feeling for what you want by now...enjoy the music

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

Lex,

I started reading this forum before DT went down for a few days. I see we both now listen to 2 channel music via a nice 2 channel preamp. How do you integrate the Classe preamp with the MC1?

Bob,

Thanks, the Rogue is amazing...someone please help, I can't stop listening to music! btw, my unit has the optional $100 HT unity gain bypass. So when I use the DC1's logic7, I just press a switch, and the Rogue (and its volume) is made invisible.

Andrew,

I think I did the right thing. Alot people need more than the DC1's 4 digital inputs and 3 s-video inputs, I don't...so the DC1 works great for me (sonically too!).

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Well, glad to have you start reading Ricky. I tried to tell ya, lol.

Yeah, 2 channel has definitely became more important to me. My separates system started, specifically for the ability to test XLR cables. Let's cover the system make up in 2 channel. Sort of keeps focus over there where topics are generally needed. I will start a thread there in a few.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"