X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

RSX-1056: 7.1 analog input for Blu-Ray

Hi,

I've been running a 1056 with a 7.1 speaker setup for a couple of years now, and started watching Blu-Ray movies from a PS3 80GB model last year. The PS3 is connected to the 1056 with digital coax and component.

Since my current setup is limited to 5.1 and 6.1, both of which I believe are sent by the Rotel to all 7.1 speakers, I'm wondering what I'm missing out on by not having the latest Blu-Ray 7.1 audio formats. The PS3 can only output them via HDMI (which the Rotel doesn't have), and the 1056 can only accept them via its 7.1 analog input, I have to either upgrade the Blu-Ray player or the receiver to get full 7.1 support.

From what I've read, getting a Blu-Ray player with a 7.1 analog output will have the issue of needing the bass level boosted, and there may be potential issues with speaker level adjustments and crossover selection, both of which are done by the Rotel in the digital domain. It is unclear to me as to whether the Rotel will convert the signals coming in on its 7.1 analog input into digital or not. Here's an excerpt from the Rotel manual:

NOTE: Normally, the RSX-1056 converts analog
    inputs to digital signals. All of the digital
    processing is available including bass management,
    digital crossovers, speaker level and
    delay settings, and a number surround mode
    options. Alternatively, there is an analog bypass
    surround mode that routes 2-ch and Multi
    Input analog signals directly to the Volume control
    and outputs, bypassing the digital processing
    entirely for pure analog stereo.

This sort of reads like it would convert the signal unless one were to engage the "analog bypass surround mode", but then a little later in the manual it reads:

A set of RCA inputs accept up to 7.1 channels
    of analog signals from a DVD-A or SACD
    player. There are inputs for FRONT L & R,
    CENTER, SUB, REAR L & R, and CENTER BACK
    (CB) 1 & 2.
    These inputs bypass all digital processing in
    the RSX-1056 and are routed directly to the
    Volume control and outputs.

Should the latter be the case, I'm concerned how I would be able to adjust for lipsync problems and crossover settings. Apparently some of the better Blu-Ray players provide for this, but I'm not willing to spend more than $500 on a player, and the Oppo 83 that everybody is raving about does not have streaming video from PCs, NAS devices or services like Netflix (which I'd like to have).

The second option is to sell the Rotel and buy another processor/amp combo (no more receivers for me, processor changes too often) - any idea what the going rate is on the used market?

Finally, I can just leave the audio alone (and maybe get another projector instead) IF
    a) the new formats aren't that much of an improvement over the simulated 7.1 mode of the Rotel and/or
    b) not many Blu-Ray discs support these new 7.1 modes

Any advice is appreciated!

Regards,
    Frank
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

I don't have a Blu-ray player, SACD or DVD-A, so my RSX-1056 is only used for 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS. But I can comment on two items.

Originally posted by fvoelling
    A set of RCA inputs accept up to 7.1 channels
    of analog signals from a DVD-A or SACD
    player. There are inputs for FRONT L & R,
    CENTER, SUB, REAR L & R, and CENTER BACK
    (CB) 1 & 2.
    These inputs bypass all digital processing in
    the RSX-1056 and are routed directly to the
    Volume control and outputs.
    That is correct. Using the 7.1 "Multi" input on the RSX-1056 is pure analog only, and the only function that affects the signal is the volume control. All speaker levels, crossover settings and delay settings would have to be performed within the Blu-ray or universal player.

The second option is to sell the Rotel and buy another processor/amp combo (no more receivers for me, processor changes too often) - any idea what the going rate is on the used market?
    I have toyed with selling my RSX-1056 so I have been watching Audiogon for the past 6 months, and the going price seems to be around $500. One just sold for $475 (presumably, you never know the actual finalized price) with a missing plastic IR cover on the remote. Although it's a decent well-built unit, the RSX-1056 used price keeps going down as $200 mass market receivers have basic HDMI switching and $350 mass market receivers have Dolby True HD and DTS-HD decoding.

Steve

Comment

• hurin
      • Sep 2009

I'm wondering what I'm missing out on by not having the latest Blu-Ray 7.1 audio formats.
      Not much, nearly all bluray movies come with 5.1. I recently 'downgraded' from 6.0 to 5.0 and rearranged speaker placement, since after i got bluray I found, I had no real use of the back channel.

If it works like my 1069, you have to manually select analog bypass, as the unit will use digital processing by default, so there should not be a problem.

I recommend getting the Oppo BDP-83 SE, from what I heard and seen it compares with Denons top model, that cost twice as much.

Comment

• Armbender
        • Jul 2005

This is a great question!>..I have an Oppo BDP-83 that Im hooking up for Xmas and would definately like to have some information on how to set the 1056 up in the menu to allow for best results....
        Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• fvoelling
          • Jul 2004

Thanks everybody! I'm still on the fence, but here's a question for those of you who own the Oppo. Does it do a better job in terms of VIDEO quality than the PS3 for upscaled and/or Blu-Ray movies, and if so, could that be seen on an older projector (1024x768 ) or do you need a full 1080p projector to appreciate the difference?
          Last edited by fvoelling; 08 December 2009, 10:52 Tuesday. Reason: resolution displayed incorrectly

Comment

• fvoelling
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Armbender
            This is a great question!>..I have an Oppo BDP-83 that Im hooking up for Xmas and would definately like to have some information on how to set the 1056 up in the menu to allow for best results....
            Armbender, seeing that you also have the Emotiva XPA-5, you must be toying with the idea of buying the UMC-1!? Those two would be my top contenders as replacements for the 1056 if I were to replace it (already own an RPA-1 and BPA-1, love Emotiva gear, wish they made a Blu-Ray player).

Comment

• Armbender
              • Jul 2005

Armbender, seeing that you also have the Emotiva XPA-5, you must be toying with the idea of buying the UMC-1!? Those two would be my top contenders as replacements for the 1056 if I were to replace it (already own an RPA-1 and BPA-1, love Emotiva gear, wish they made a Blu-Ray player).
              im actually leaning towards the Classe SSP-600..but the UMC-1 looks very interesting...
              Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• fvoelling
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Armbender
                im actually leaning towards the Classe SSP-600..but the UMC-1 looks very interesting...
                Wow, what a beauty! But the price tag, ouch, and no support for Dolby/DTS 7.1 formats? Maybe it's the XMC-1 for you.

Comment

• Armbender
                  • Jul 2005

Wow, what a beauty! But the price tag, ouch, and no support for Dolby/DTS 7.1 formats? Maybe it's the XMC-1 for you.
                  possibly...but ill run analog multi-ch for the ssp600

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"