X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Scalers/Video Processor Question

Does a scaler/video processor like the IScan HD+ or a Lumagen offer much better picture improvements for DVD Video versus just using an upconversion DVD player to a projector (or sending an analog component signal from a DVD player to an upconverting projector)? I noticed that projector reviewers always seem to use these outboard video processors for testing projectors.
    Adz
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Scaler/Video Processors were important to have when CRT was King, but todays newer digital front projectors and HDTV sets seem to have pretty darn good internal scalers and the new dvd players that upconvert seem to be quite good, too. But I really can't say whether or not an outboard would improve things any. In my book, it would have to be an awful big improvement to warrant the extra cash outlay.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

For CRT projectors an outboard scaler is necessary to get the most out of the projector, by scaling the image to the PJ's most optimum scan rate and number of lines.

Digital PJs and plasmas have scalers built in. Some are better than others. Cheaper units often have sub-par scalers and can benefit from an outboard scaler set to the PJ's or plasma's native resolution.

In some cases the issues with PJ's internal scalers is not the scaling but with the deinterlacing (when fed a 480i interlaced signal such as a non-progressive DVD player or a cable/satellite box). The Faroudja DCDi chipset is one of the best deinterlacers around, and more PJs and plasmas are using it now. If your PJ has DCDi, you may find that you get better performance with your DVD player in interlaced mode rather than progressive, especially for video sourced DVDs such as concerts and TV shows on DVD.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Kevin is correct regarding the Faroudja DCDi chipset. I have this in both my NEC HT1000 and Yamaha 510 projectors and they look best with an interlaced signal from my dvd player.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
          In some cases the issues with PJ's internal scalers is not the scaling but with the deinterlacing (when fed a 480i interlaced signal such as a non-progressive DVD player or a cable/satellite box). The Faroudja DCDi chipset is one of the best deinterlacers around, and more PJs and plasmas are using it now. If your PJ has DCDi, you may find that you get better performance with your DVD player in interlaced mode rather than progressive, especially for video sourced DVDs such as concerts and TV shows on DVD.
          Let me understand this better. I have Denon DVD player that has I believe DCDI/upconversion and a have a DLP projector with DCDI. Right now, I am running a DVI cable from my Denon out to the DVI unput in the projector. So, I assume that means I am using the Faroujda upconverting chip in the Denon and not using the DCDI at all on the projector? Alternatively, I can use the component out from my DVD player to the projector and that's when the same DCDI will kick in but this time at the projector? Any idea which should be better? Now, if I were to insert a Isca HD+ into the picture, would anything noticeably improve? Sorry for all the questions!
          Adz

Comment

• Charl
            • Apr 2004

Hi Adz,

I have a 42" Sony HD Plasma and the Marantz DV-8400 dvd player in my setup. I recently bought the IScan HD+ for the specific purpose of upscaling all source video material to the plasma's native resolution of 1024x852.

Yes the plasma does have a built-in scaler, but after seeing a demo of the HD+ (connected in my setup for a true A/B demo) I could see a noticeable improvement in PQ of lower res video material.
            This was most obvious with a satellite TV feed (<480i, via component), and I did not see much improvement from the DVD picture (720p, via DVI).

Nevertheless, the improvement on the satellite PQ was enough to convince me to buy the unit. That being said, it was a rather expensive ($2,000) 'tweak' and if I was only concerned with the DVD picture, I would not have bought the unit.

I need to mention that the person doing the demo was not all impressed with the results, and said he saw a much bigger improvement on his (good quality) PJ.

As always, it would be best to demo with your equipment...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"