X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob
    • Feb 2001

Output level settings

Hello,

Im curious as to what other MC-1 owners set their output levels at?
    Mine are:
    left front -1.5
    center -1
    Right front +.5
    Right side -6
    Left side -5
    Right rear +3.5
    Left rear +4

Using a SPL meter I calibrated everything at 71DBs, except the rears at 77DBs. I feel comfortable with the rears at 77Dbs, but does this seem to high?

My other equipment are B&W 804N, 805N, HTM1 center an 601S2 for my sides.
    Thanks in advance,

Rob
  • DanB
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

Hi Rob...

Your settings are a little different than what I'm used to seeing. I run Paradigm Reference speakers, in a 18 by 25 foot room, and my settings are all in the +1.5 to 2.5 range. Of course, your settings will depend on your distances from your speakers, how your room is configured, amplifier output etc.
    I have found, personally, that my MC-1 sounds better and more natural with everything calibrated to 75 dbs. I also saw a illustraton from Dolby Labs showing how to properly calibrate a 5.1 system. I had originally set up my system with the trusty RAT SHACK meter, sitting in my seat, meter held as directed. I found out the PROPER way is to stand BEHIND your seating position with the meter held at ear level OVER your seated position. This added anywhere from a .5 to a 1 db increase in the sound measurements.
    FWIW.
    Dan

Comment

• Rob
      • Feb 2001

Thanks Dan,
      I tried calibrating all speakers to 75dbs, but could not distinguish the rears from the other speakers. I guess Ill have to experiment a little.
      Thanks for the advice on how to calibrate.

Rob

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

You know, I am due a calibration, so I can't contribute except to say, all +0's, lol.

I will recalibrate this week, I hope.

Lex

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"