X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank
    • Jul 2002

RDC-7 and HDTV..Great!

I finally purchased extra Canare component cables and have run my DVD and Hughes E86 thru the RDC-7. Excellent results. To bad the on screen display does not work thru the component output. HDTV looks better going thru the RDC than direct to the TV, however, this may be the result of the new cable rather than the junk that came with the box.

This situation really makes me appreciate the unit. I was able to assign different a different optical input to a component input rather than juggle everything around in the back. Then I labeled video 2 HDTV on the display.....coool!!!

Frank

Frank
    Frank
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Frank -

Thanks for that report -- glad to hear that RDC-7's component switching is working so well with your HDTV. I'm guessing your theory about the cables being the reason for a better picture is correct. I'm assuming you didn't run the HDTV signal through the RDC-7 prior to the THX Ultra 2 upgrade, so the improvement in the picture now would not be attributable to the increase in bandwith in the RDC-7's component switching.

If the cables that came with the box are not true 75 ohm video cables (like they might have cheaped out with 50 ohm audio cables) while the new ones are, then that would make a signifcant difference right there. Of course crappy video cables compared to good ones can make a difference too.

As far as I know, the RDC-7 does not "processs" the video signal. What we really want for it to do is pass the signal "as is" without degrading it or "enhancing" it. Sounds like that is what it is doing.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Frank
      • Jul 2002

Burke,

Did the Ultra 2 upgrade increase the bandwidth over the orginal 45mhz? I may have missed that but the more the merrier.

Frank

Frank
      Frank

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Frank -

I've only heard about an increase in video bandwidth (reportedly to 60mhz) secondhand -- not from Integra Research directly (although that is supposed to be where the information originated).

Since no one I've communicated with who used the component switchng with HDTV prior to the upgrade reported any signal degradation, I would assume if they actually did increase that value, it was due to THX Ultra 2 requirements rather than customer complaints.

However, on their website under features for the RDC-7, they now list "THX Ultra2" but still proclaim it to be "HDTV-Ready with 45-MHz-Wide Video Signal Path". Whether that is an editing oversight or is still a valid spec, I don't know. But the bottom line is, the RDC-7's component video switching works fine with HDTV.

Burke

Comment

• Jon SS
          • Oct 2002

I got an e-mail from Onkyo last month:

"Bandwidth, is 60MHz, yes, it will be enough for all HDTV, signals."

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Jon -

Thanks for that info. Looks like they need to update the site.

Burke

Comment

• Razvan
              • Jan 2002

It's not clear though if that's the bandwidth for the RDC-7 version 2 only or if it refers to upgraded RDC-7's too. I don't recall anyone mentioning that the RDC-7 upgrade included an increased bandwidth. It's also possible that the RDC-7 version 2 might have other improvements over an upgraded RDC-7 like newer/better DAC's.

Razvan

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"