What else could we possibly need? (Brainstorm our upgrade wish list)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

What else could we possibly need? (Brainstorm our upgrade wish list)

Owners of the RDC-7 generally agree that the unit sounds fabulous and has enough features and input/output options to satisfy virtually all of our HT and music system requirements. And the cake got a little more frosting when the first upgrade was actually delivered at a reasonable price and included useful extensions to the capabilites, not just "bug fixes" like some competitors' "updates" seem to be mostly. However, even as good a job as Integra Research and its associated development partners did in putting together a pretty comprehensive package, there still must be a few areas that could still stand some attention, both to keep the current owners in "state-of-the art" territory, and to help entice new buyers.

So let's put our heads together and come up with a list of items that we think they should address in future updates or as enhancements to be offered as options. We're brainstorming this to get started, so any idea is welcome -- we'll debate the merits and figure out a strategy to persuade IR to implement sometime later on (although it wouldn't hurt to explain upfront why an item might be useful).

First and foremost "update" in my way of thinking would be more flexible bass management. More than just the THX-standard 80 hz -- perhaps variable from 40 to 160 hz? Selectable by individual speaker? Many of us have speakers that are either capable of going below 80 hz, or in my case, have a center that cuts off way above that figure. Flexible bass crossover would make the integration of the sub into the rest of the system lot less "iffy" -- or at least a lot less arbitrary.

NOT having some more flexible bass management options has cost the RDC-7 -- both in accolades it really deserves otherwise (such as The Perfect Vision knocking it down a level in its recommended pre/pro ranking) and in potential buyers looking elsewhere for a pre/pro that does have it (almost killed the deal for me).

Second (but way far down the list as far as importance to me) would be HDCD decoding. I'd be willing to give up one of the surround DSP modes ("TV Logic" springs immediately to mind) to get this. I have a lot of CDs that were encoded with HDCD. And I'll be listening to them for a long time before I ever buy into SACD or DVD-Audio. I'd like to be sure I really am hearing them optimally by having them properly decoded.

Third -- I sure as heck don't expect this as an update to MY unit, but how about more than one finish option for the front panel? The pewter finish is classy, and I like the way it stands out it in my component rack, but I've overheard others ask "is it available in black"? :>) It should be, shouldn't it, without having to get out the masking tape and a can of matte black Rustoleum. :>)

Fourth, (you start filling in here)...

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Leslie
    • Sep 2001

I have to add a STRONG second to Burke's first wish: more flexible bass management. This was the one element that gave me a lot of pause prior to actually buying the RDC-7. To make my final decision, I devised a spreadsheet to compare/contrast the various options available on a number of preamp/surround processors (not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything ). While I didn't figure out a statistical weighting system on the options, flexible bass management was very important to me. In the final analysis, though, partly due to Burke's guidance, I bought the RDC-7 despite its lack in this area.

I really hope they will reconsider and give us this option. I think their prompt response on upgrades to DPLII and Neo:6 were what ultimately pushed me into the purchase. I've seen too many companies fail in this regard and/or refuse to respond to potential buyers.
    Leslie

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

OMG Leslie, not a spreadsheet to determine buying considerations, lol. I usually just press a few buttons, and see how it sounds and performs.

Welcome to the Guide too, I presume you came for Club Integra. Kewl.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jimmy
        • Sep 2001

Hey gang:

Here are a couple of things that I can think Integra Research could modify:

1. Variable bass crossovers for each individual speaker. This would be a high priority for me.

2. More flexibility in speaker setup. The menu forces you to set the left and right speaker at the same distance. It is not always possible to have both speakers the same distance away in some rooms.

Also, if you set the left/right surround speaker for small, then you are forced to set the rear center speakers to small as well. My surrounds are smaller speakers, but my rear center speakers are floorstanding. Ideally I would set my surrounds to "Small" and my rear center speakers to "Large" or vice versa, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

• Leslie
          • Sep 2001

I'd like to second Jimmy's request for more flexibility with respect to speaker setup. I ran into the following problem: currently I'm using only two MartinLogan Cinemas as my rear surrounds. I have a problem mounting anything for side surrounds, although I expect to solve the problem in several months. However, when I tried to set up my speakers, I was not allowed to have ONLY rear surrounds. I had to input that I had side surrounds FIRST. That setting must remain in place. I couldn't set the rears and then delete the reference to the sides. All my speakers are full range, so I use the large size setting. I hope I'm not losing any sound by this problem.

I love the sound output by the RDC-7, but really would like more flexibility on speaker setup and on crossover settings.
          Leslie

Comment

• alupats
            • May 2005

What about dynamic setup? It would be great to pop in a CD or DVD movie and based soley on the identification of the media, setup the entire system to the last setting used for that particular title & media type. My DPS-6.5 remebers position up to 100 titles. Just a little more advanced information stored for each title, everything from source, mode, crossover, speaker levels, the gammet. Maybe something like this already exists? Any thoughts?
            Last edited by alupats; 01 June 2005, 02:11 Wednesday. Reason: clarification

Comment

• ton1313
              • Mar 2002

I love the sound of the unit.

That being said, Along with all of the suggestions above... the only real complaint I have is with the display dimmer. You can dim the display, but the push butons stay quite brite. I think that they should be on the same dimmer as the display.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"