Do I buy a RDC7 or something else and if so what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darrylp
    • Aug 2004

I'd decided on a RDC7.1 before learning it's a vapour product!

I'm currently using a Denon 5803A as a preamp but have been told to buy a dedicated preamp/processor with balanced outputs for better performance.

Do I buy a RDC7 or another product and if so what?

Darryl
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Welcome to HT Guide Forums and Club Integra. Thanks for posting your question.

Heaven only knows when the RDC-7.1 will actually be released. (If anyone at Integra Research really knows, they aren't letting on.) The RDC-7 is a fine pre/pro and I am still quite pleased with mine after a little over three years of use and two upgrades (possibly one still pending, although that is up in the air too). I am continually impressed with its sensational two channel music performance in addition to superlative surround sound capabilities and flawless video switching.

If you buy an RDC-7, there is a rumored, remote chance that Integra Research may offer a trade-up program at a future date to the RDC-7.1. But since that is so "iffy" I wouldn't count on it. If the RDC-7 (without the .1) satisfies your connectivity requirements, it should more than satisfy your need for an excellent sounding, easy to operate, pre/pro for an extended period of use, pending introduction of the 7.1 notwithstanding.

Another option might be the Integra DTC-9.4, which has most of the performance of the RDC-7 at half the price or less, and even includes a few more recent features like up converting S-Video component that the RDC-7 doesn't offer. Integra Home Theater separates

Other brands and models worth a look and listen include Anthem AVM 20 or D1, B&K Ref 50 and units by Rotel, Arcam, Classe and Bryston. In a much higher price class, Lexicon, Meridian and Theta may have what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• darrylp
      • Aug 2004

Thanks Burke

As it doesn't make sense to me that I purchase a preamp that I know will be replaced sooner rather than later I've bought a Meridian G68 which will be installed on Monday.

Kind regards

Darryl

Comment

• gargamel
        • Aug 2004

I will tell you my case. Perhaps you will find it useful.

The thing with the RDC-7 is that it was overpriced and had the disadvantage of coming with a “must buy” amp. I had a sunfire so I didn’t need the amp. But with the release of the new model in the horizon and the lucky chance that it was changing from retailer in my country I managed to get an upgraded demo unit without the amp for very little money (around 2000€) given what I was getting, and this is the thing, there is nowhere near any other processor for the money I paid that came not even close to it in quality. It has the apogee clocks and some really cool DAC’s and has all the latest software refinements that I need. The only thing I found missing was the fact that it doesn’t have a firewire port, but that is to be addressed in the future, although nobody knows when.:cry:

From the moment I first heard it I knew it was way better than my former system, and I know this is common sense but just remember that whenever you upgrade it, it is to say the least a good sign that you actually notice the upgrade.
        I hear it is not going to be compatible with SACD, but given the material that is currently available on that format that is not really a problem for me right now. :Z

So it is not future proof but you are getting something really cool at less than half the price it was but a few months ago:
        1-you are getting a processor that sound as well or better than any other processor well beyond it’s price
        2-You get almost all the latest surround options that matter (frankly I never use dolby prologic so the fact that it doesn’t have DBPL IIx isn’t an issue to me)
        3-It’s performance in music is as outstanding as it is on cinema.
        4-You get balanced outputs, which in case you have an amp with them, like my sunfires, comes really handy.

The greatest inconveniences that I find on it are the fact that you can’t see the menu via component out, that’s odd and a bit frustrating but not really a big issue. And the fact that you don’t have individual crossover settings.
        Many people talk about meridian in this forum but you got to have in mind that it is much more expensive than integra and the fact that meridian is intended to be a complete system. to work In order to get the most of it with you need to have dvd,pre,amp, and speakers, all from meridian. Those two things alone are great drawbacks.

So just to recapitulate:
        1-You will get an awesome processor by today’s standards.
        2-The price you get will determine if it was a good buy or not. I consider mine a good buy even when I knew that the new processor was coming. In my country is going to be around 7000€ and you will get “almost” the same thing that you will be getting with the RDC-7 so there really nothing more to say about that. Get a second hand unit in good condition and you won’t regret it. I know because I won’t, just be sure you get the unit with the latest upgrades and get ready because this thing rocks! :T
        8O "If all the planets and galaxies were to be lined up together at the moment of birth, that would matter infinitely less to the child, than if the matron was fat or thin" 8O

Comment

• darrylp
          • Aug 2004

As I said in an earlier post I've bought a Meridian G68 and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm noot using it with any other Meridian equipment and the sound is just amazing.

I agree it costs a lot more but then it gives a lot more too e.g. an equalizer and analyzer etc.

Darryl

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"