X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjt444
    • Oct 2009

Integra DTR 5.3 w/ KEF sub question

First post - apologies in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

Current setup: Integra DTR 5.3/DPC 7.4 with KEF PSW 1150 and the KEF HTS 2001.3 satellites (eggs) as wall mounted surrounds. My fronts are B&W DM303 and the matching LCR3 for center. I just purchased the DM 303s from craigslist so I could timbre match the front three. I'm now trying to tune the overall setup and integrate the sub.

My questions: I have the crossover set to 80 on the DTR - any higher and the sub dominates the sound. On the sub itself, I have the phase at zero and the crossover turned all of the way up. The KEF sub has a slope switch for 12db or 24db. Does this switch make a difference or does the Integra simply cut over the sound at 80? What should I hear differently between the 12 and 24 settings? Overall, the sub is quick to sound muddy or simply too loud. I've played w/ the volume on the sub and the DTR levels, but am never quite happy with the sound for long. The sub is sitting on the bottom shelf of a bookshelf, but it is front firing. Opinions on the KEF sub in this setup?

Thanks for any guidance or opinions. Finally, when the sub is tuned just right the system sounds great. Should I need to revisit the sub settings every time I watch a movie?
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Your sub placement is less than ideal and is likely contributing to "muddy" bass. You should keep the crossover on the sub turned all the way up and let the receiver handle it. The slope switch is not important if the receiver is doing the bass management, so if it has a neutral or "off" setting, I would use that. If not, then set it to the steepest slope (24 dB) as that will minimize upper frequency "bleed-through".

If I were you, regardless of settings, I would try to find another place for the sub (out of the bookshelf).

Comment

• mjt444
      • Oct 2009

Thanks for the reply. I'll try moving the sub.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"