X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizedean
    • May 2006

Harmon Kardon AVR 435 vs. Integra DTR 7.6

am in the process of buying a new home theater system. I have decided on a Pioneer Elite Pro 930 HD as my TV. I am going to use B&W 600 series S3 speakers. I need to decide on a reciever. I have been touted on 2 different products.
    The B&W salesperson is pushing an Integra DTR 7.6 versus a good friend who is singing the praises of Harmon Kardon AVR 435.
    The HK is less money and seems to be coming down in price (I m not against saving money).
    I have read that the DTR 7.6 does not convert composite, S-video or component video to HDMI. Which is inconvenient at best.
    I have also heard the HK AVR 435 does not function properly in surround sound unless you are operating in 7.1 ( I am planning to get started in 5.1).
    I am a novice and am not sure which of these issues is really important.
    I do listen to alot of 2 channel audio also. Can anyone help me straighten out my confusion?
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Hello,
    No current receiver I know of can convert anything to HDMI out. There are many that can upconvert composite and S video to Component out.

As far as receivers go, between those 2, I would go with the Integra. There very well built, have nice features and sound pretty good. I personally perfer them over Harmon Kardon.

But I would suggest a better sounding receiver for B&W speakers if a receiver is what you want. Rotel rsx1067 would be killer or a nice B&K avr507s2. If money is an issue Denon avr3806 or Pioneer Elite vsx74txi.

Good luck with your purchase.

Dan

Comment

• hhcan
      • Mar 2005

I would have to disagree on the Denon and Pioneer if money is the constraint. The HK is a better choice. However, if you have to choose between that and the Integra, I would go for Integra as dmantis said. HK, Denon, and Pioneer don't do thing right in surround mode regardless of 7.1 or 5.1.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hhcan
        I would have to disagree on the Denon and Pioneer if money is the constraint. The HK is a better choice. However, if you have to choose between that and the Integra, I would go for Integra as dmantis said. HK, Denon, and Pioneer don't do thing right in surround mode regardless of 7.1 or 5.1.
        Remember these are opnions. I don't know what your talking about with Denon and Pioneer Not doing the right thing for surround. I have setup hundreds of Denons and Pioneer Elite receivers and can't figure out what your saying. I also have setup many HK receivers and they worked fine as well. Can you explain?

Dan

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"