Lexicon RV-8 receiver, or are they coming out with a updated model?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Lexicon RV-8 receiver, or are they coming out with a updated model?

hello all,
    I'm considering trying out Lexicon. Over the years I have been very Impressed with there performance, built quality. I have read about but not heard first hand this Rv-8 receiver. I owned the B&K avr307 and felt it was ever bit as good as most lower end seperates with being all in one box. McIntosh and Sunfire also have receivers that sound like seperates. I also felt the Rotel RSX1065 could be in there as well. These receivers standing way out in a musical way past the Denon,Yamaha,Integra,Onkyo,Harman Kardon,marantz,Pioneer Elite,Sony Es,etc of the world.
    McIntosh I did a side by side with Sunfire and Rotel. the McIntosh receiver sounded better the both seperates. Shocking but not really. Considering McIntosh has always been a extremely musical pproduct and favored by many, them building a receiver with the same kind of love I excepted.

I sold my B&K avr307 not because of it's sound quality but due to the fact to upgrade it, I had to send it out and wait to be upgraded. Or I could buy the new avr507 at that time. My experience with Rotel being an Installer installing it, I really started to favor it due to the sound quality vs price ratio. Mated with Dynaduio speakers, It blew me away. The combo I installed many many times and was shocked every single time. Audience series with the Rsx1065 receiver and others with the rsp1066 and rmb1075. I felt there was a very fine line between them both.

After much research and the want to get into "seperates", I made the move to Rotel seperates. I own the rsp1068 and the RMB1095. I sold my Polk Lsi speakers to get into my long loved Dynaudio Audience series. At first I was very happy with the system. i was waiting for the break in period, I noticed a higher level of detail but the system has always been alittle harsh. I figured again I'll wait for the break in period to pass.Well after months and months of waiting, It never got better, actually it got worse. I devoloped a Hiss/crackle/hum in the highs and I never really had good seperation in the instruments like I did with the B&k/lsi system. On paper I made a nice upgrade. To my ears I think I messed up.

I have been for the last few months trying to put my finger on my sound quallity problem. I'm a wire freak so I use very good quality Wire. I use all Kimber kable. In my last system , it made everything just sound incredible. My not saying wire is my problem, but it is the one thing thats differnt from all the systems I have Installed with Rotel and Dynaudio. In those systems I installed Transparent cables. Wire makes a difference but I don't believe it can break a system to the point that mine is in. I believe I have defective gear or I'm just not a fan of my sound. I'm having a hard time with that.

Sinse I have had seperates, I have not been happy. At first I beleive it was the excitement of owning what I wanted, then when I sat down and really listend, I was not. My last system used to make me laugh with joy, this system makes me angry and I turn it off.

For movies, I kinda like it better due to the dynamic range of the rmb1095. When action happens the amp is really dynamic. Better then the avr307 was. but still the warmth and more natural sound I had is gone.

At one time I thought it was easy to fiigure out what was the weakest link, now I'm very confused. Building a system around your favorite speakers seemed to be the way to go. I also wonder if Dynaudio is what I'm not totally digging.I have so many theorys on what "IT" could be. Another one is my Pioneer Elite Dv47a that I use for cd, sacd, dvd audio and watching dvd's.But that player also was in many of the systems I have Installed and didn't find flaws then.

On a last note on my rant, I know accustics make a big difference. but I have heard my system in so many different rooms, some less Ideal then mine and loved every single systems sound quality for both music and movies right out of the box brand new with no Break in other then the time the system played during install.

I'm not way into starting over once again.And I never heard Lexicon and Dyanduio together. Kinda the point of this thead before I started to rant. So
    to the Lexicon owners out there, what do you think about the Rv-8? the reviews are stellar on it. I know how good there seperates are. I don't think I want to go seperates again. I kinda like the "box" and staying in it.One less area to fail meaning the ground problems that can happen with seperates, the interference with the IC's between them.
  • hhcan
    • Mar 2005

I didn't listen to the RV-8 in music mode. I listened to it many time in movie mode at my local B&K dealer and it's really awesome. Sunfire and B&K in movie mode can't match it. However, according to my local dealer, in music mode, it performs a little bit below the B&K ref. 50 which comes at a suprise to me considering the B&K is $4000 less. And also according to him, there is no processor out there which processes surround sound in movie better than the Lexicon. They choose the Lex to drive their top notch theater with around 40 seats (they have a nice cinema theater settings using the HD Runco projector inside their big store).

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

WOW. I'm really intrested in a new piece that can do movies as well as high quality 2 channel. The B&k never failed me there. B&k in my opnion is very musical .

I really need to hear it for myself.

Anyone else with experience?

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Lexicon has never had the sterling 2 channel reputation, but they have gotten some better in this area. I have not had experience with their receivers, only DC-1, MC-1, and MC-12 myself. But I do love the Lexicon "way". I have no plans to change my MC-12, well, ever.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Lex
          Lexicon has never had the sterling 2 channel reputation, but they have gotten some better in this area. I have not had experience with their receivers, only DC-1, MC-1, and MC-12 myself. But I do love the Lexicon "way". I have no plans to change my MC-12, well, ever.

Lex
          This can't be right?? how can you go on record to say ever? Upgrading is what we do, it's what we live for, it's in our very souls. I understand not needing to upgrade from the 12, but they will better it, yes they will.

mantis

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I hit the wall on investment Mantis. Trust me, after getting my butt in a crack more than once overbuying, I've learned my lesson pretty good. I built a theater for the ages, and I do plan to enjoy it as is for a very long time except for minor changes like new DVD formats or such. In new retail value, my speakers total around 20 grand, the MC-12 was close to 10, a 10K amp, plus 8K in additional amps, a 4500 sub, Samsung DVD that upconverts to 720P, or 1080i, 2 projectors, plasma, I'm bought out for a long time, lol. Yeah, I might look at an upgrade, but I'd look long and hard first.

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
              I'm not way into starting over once again.And I never heard Lexicon and Dyanduio together. Kinda the point of this thead before I started to rant. So
              to the Lexicon owners out there, what do you think about the Rv-8? the reviews are stellar on it. I know how good there seperates are. I don't think I want to go seperates again. I kinda like the "box" and staying in it.One less area to fail meaning the ground problems that can happen with seperates, the interference with the IC's between them.
              My dealer let me use the Lexicon RV-8 while I waited for my Bryston SP1.7 and Bryston 9B SST. I loved it for movies and enjoyed it for music. I don't feel its bypass mode competes with my SP1.7, but that is why I went with the Bryston separates and not the RV-8. The dealer stated it well when he said, (paraphrased) there are two exceptions to the rule of integrated receivers/amps not being as good as separate components, Lexicon and McIntosh. I was tempted to buy it after having used it for two weeks while I waited for the Bryston gear, but music playback was much more important to me than HT and I wanted separates for easier upgradability. I don't see how you could go wrong with the processor in the RV-8.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

After the Holidays I'm considering taking it for a test drive. maybe a In home demo would be much better. If at least maybe I will bring my speakers to the dealer and hear the 2 together.

Music is high on my list as well. Not really wanting a 2 channel system, using the Home Theater system for 2 channel serves my needs. if the Lexicon is more musical, I may keep it.

Dan

Comment

• Movieman
                  • Sep 2005

I’ve had the RV-8 for about 8 months now and think its fantastic especially for movies, using 2 channel by pass for music it sounds excellent, detailed and open. My brother runs Naim equipment and the RV-8 being fed by my rega planet CD player sound just as good if not better. Go for it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Nice theater movieman, very artsy feeling too.

I can see the appeal of a single box setup. So, this receiver looks like the pre-pros huh? Sweet.

Doug
                    Doug

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

BTW, Rotel is known for sounding harsh when under heavy scrutiny, so perhaps that is the problem you are having. Lets face it though, it isn't high end gear, it is mid-fi, though high on the mid-fi list for quality, but none the less, mid-fi. Oh, BTW, I have heard it mentioned on epinions and other sites that there is a problem with some Rotel gear with hissing/static type sounds. It seemed to be a problem with the cheaper of their new multi-channel amps. I'm not sure if it is true or not but it was on the audio review site somewhere I think. I remember reading about it because I'm trying to put together a cheap system for a friend and that amp would have been perfect for the system I am building him. Oh well...

Here is a link to that site in case you want a good spot to look up equipment by user ratings: Audio Review Site

Good luck! :T

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Thanks for the replies.
                        I don't have there cheaper amp , actually I have there top of the line RMB1095. I figured out my problems and now everything is working great. My cablebox's ground(go figure I have a brand new house) was a the problem. I also removed any matalic connection between the cablebox and my gear. I now run straight HDMI to the tv and a Optical cable to the preamp. I use a Panamax Max5500ex power center with all upgraded powercords on all my gear. I shortened up alot of the power cords and this also seemed to help out alot. My system is very quiet now.

Thanks guys,

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"