X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Lexicon RV8 With 804s

Anyone have any experience with this receiver? I am putting together a new 5.1 HT system and think this may be one of the few receivers which could actually handle the load. Using 804s for L and R with a HTM3s in the center, not sure about the rears yet.

Thanks, Ed
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Lex Rocks!!!

Bullitt,

I don't have experience with Lex running B&W, but I'm quite familiar with the Lex line, and you should have absolutely no problem. I believe the RV8 is a mixture of the Lex MC-8 and the CX-7 power amp... And that's an awesome combo.

Plus, for you HT (I'm assuming that's why you're considering the Lexicon), it's an amazingly flexible tool. And Logic7 is just a wonderful illusion. Plus, they have a lot of extras in there, like a mode called Panorama, which, in just 2 channel mode, not using the center channel at all, gives you the illusion of a HUGE soundstage in front of you. There are some very convincing modes in there.

My only suggestion is this: If budget allows, try for the MC-12 (used on A'gon or Ebay) with the later s/w versions. There's an issue going on with Lex, where they've kind of been caught in the middle of the HDMI thing, so their older MC 12's (without the HDMI compatibility) can be had for almost a quarter of the price they were new. And pair it up with the LX series amp. Not only will this definitely handle the load of the speakers, but also give you even more flexibility (bass management, extra zone, Room EQ, Auto Calibration) than the RV8. I think you might be able to set this up for a grand or so over the price of a new RV8... Only, you'll have to spend time looking and it'll be used things.

If a receiver is what you want, then the RV8 is a GREAT choice. Be sure to confirm that the latest software is loaded onto it.. I think they're shipping with version 2.0 right now.

You can also ask around at www.smr-forums.com. They have quite an active Lexicon forum.

Good luck, and welcome to the Lex community... It's a really happy place.

Fauzi

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
      • May 2004

Originally posted by bullitt731
      Anyone have any experience with this receiver? I am putting together a new 5.1 HT system and think this may be one of the few receivers which could actually handle the load. Using 804s for L and R with a HTM3s in the center, not sure about the rears yet.

Thanks, Ed
      Hi Ed,
      I am not familiar with that particular receiver, but my local B&W dealer just started carrying Lexicon and has had some problems. In one demo room, they had 803d's hooked up to a $12k lex processor and a seperate amp. Now sure of models. They could not get the 803's to sound right. They had the Lexicon rep come to thier dealer to calibrate, still off. They returned the 803d's to B&W for research, speakers were fine. Turns out it was the Lex amp. No matter what they did, it just did not sound as good with other amps they carried. Even the Rotel sounded "better".

I am not knocking Lex and have never used them. Thier rep is strongest in the processor side more than amp side. Perhaps this was a fluke. Good luck
      Steel

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"