X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hhcan
    • Mar 2005

B&K price drop

B&K ref. 50 series 2 was released on Nov. 2004. Does anyone have any idea as to when they would drop the price on the series 2 preamp? In addition, how long would it take them to release the new model after the price drop?

Will they also drop the price on their amplifier too? say the ref. 200.7 series 2?

Thanks.
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

Care to restate this in a manner in which I can understand what you are saying? Your question is confusing at best the way it is phrased.

Comment

• hhcan
      • Mar 2005

Sorry about the confussion. My questions are:

1. When will B & K drop the price on the reference 50 series 2?

2. Will B & K drop the price on the reference 200.7 series 2?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

hcan,

B&K are not like your typical mass market reciever manufacturer with a new range every 12 month devaluing the price of the old range... It is not uncommon for B&K amplifiers to be sold unchanged for 5-10 years and processors have lives of 3-5 years...

So I wouldn't be holding my breath for them to drop the price... When they do it (most likely) will be becuase they have a better product. If you like the B&K Models you want - I'd shop arround a little and you will get a good price anyway...

Geoff

Comment

• Hoopofficial
          • Dec 2004

If you buy now, go online. Personally, I try to find a custom installer who are factory authorized to sell B&K. I have found them to be the cheapest around. Hands down.

Comment

• hhcan
            • Mar 2005

Thanks for the response.

B&K did say that their preamp has an 18 months cycle. It was true for ref. 30 to ref 50 and they did drop the price 6 months before the new model came out. I would expect a price drop soon.

There is no internet authorized dealer for B & K. You can only buy used. New products are not manufacture warranty. I did look and for some authorized dealers, they say that I can't buy them online. I have to walk in the store. I do have some authorized B&K dealers in my area so it's not a problem. I already bought the B&K amp and waiting for a price drop on the preamp. Maybe I have to wait for another year?!

Comment

• Hoopofficial
              • Dec 2004

Try CinemaSource.com. Custom Installer, very competive prices and factory authorized.

Comment

• Bachelor
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by hhcan
                I already bought the B&K amp and waiting for a price drop on the preamp. Maybe I have to wait for another year?!

What price are you waiting for that's keeping you from a great processor today???

I know it's not worth the amount of money to wait another year for a price drop, but that's just me.

Comment

• hhcan
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bachelor
                  What price are you waiting for that's keeping you from a great processor today???

I know it's not worth the amount of money to wait another year for a price drop, but that's just me.
                  The reason I'd like to wait is that it has been out for a year. My thinking is that if they have an 18 months cycle, they will drop the price on the preamp soon just like they did with the reference 50 (from $3000 to $2000). I don't expect a $1000 drop on the series 2 though so maybe if it goes down to $1800, I'll buy it (I know that I'd get around 11% off from my local dealer too).

I know this is a great preamp for even at full price but my receiver is only 1.5 year old so it gives me a strong reason to wait for a price drop. I'll wait until the end of the tax season-around April 2006 maybe?!

Comment

• RenoReno2
                    • Jan 2005

you can get it at that price from an authorized dealer. Just have to call around to different dealers.

Comment

• Bachelor
                      • Jun 2005

That was the point I was trying to make. Your receiver will have a better resale value now then 6 months down the road. Sell it and get the Ref 50.

I just can't bare to see you so close but so far away.

Comment

• BobD207s
                        • Jun 2001

I second Cinemasource as a great source for all things home theater - they are a B&K dealer . Plus Cinemasource is a supporter of HTG and great folks to deal with. Kevin P and I have been buying all our gear for our installs from them for a couple of years now.

603-893-8615 ask for Gator

Bob

Comment

• bimmer528
                          • Sep 2004

My brother in law paid 1600 for the ref 50 II and 1300 for the 125.7 II from a guy out of state. He is by far the best price as my bro called many. I think Tweeter wanted over 2k for the ref 50 ii and 1700 for the amp series ii

Comment

• hhcan
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bimmer528
                            My brother in law paid 1600 for the ref 50 II and 1300 for the 125.7 II from a guy out of state. He is by far the best price as my bro called many. I think Tweeter wanted over 2k for the ref 50 ii and 1700 for the amp series ii
                            I want an authorized dealer. I believe that B & K authorized dealer can't sell product through mail or internet order. You have to come into the store and buy it.

Tweeter in California is no longer B & K authorized dealer. I am supprised that they carry the series 2 products. Maybe they'd get it for you if you want it but they don't officially offer B & K products via ads.

By the way, is cinemasource.com an authorized dealer? I can't find their zip code any where on their webpage.

Comment

• bimmer528
                              • Sep 2004

B&K is the most widly used for guys working out of thier house doing home automation. Probally 5 times more then at retail shops. They are authorized dealers dispite even if out of state.

My brother in law called and ordered his stuff, he accidently said 125.5. The next day realizing it, he called back and the dealer called b&k directly and swapped it for a 125.7 at no extra cost.no questions asked with my bro on the phone.

I dont think there was a a sales tax or a shipping charge either coming from NY to Chicago.

well dont take my word for it, call him and ask him the questions you need to. You can get the info from my brother in law. He posted in this tread and his name is RenoReno2

Comment

• Hoopofficial
                                • Dec 2004

HHCan, Cinema Source is a custom installer that sells retail as well. Trust me they are an authorized dealer. I have first hand experience as I had issues with my Ref 50 and Ref 200.7. Both pieces were replaced by B&K. The Ref 50 had a DD audio drop issue and the 200.7 blew a muting circuit. To top it off, B&K sent me a S2 Amp as a replacment.

Gator at Cinema Source was phenominal and he orchestrated the whole resolution with B&K with no additional cost to me. I'm sure their prices aren't the cheapest as compared to internet chop shops but Cinema Source is factory authorized. I highly recommend them. Ask for Gator and tell him that Ron from MA sent you. Goodluck

PS. I also bought a Denon 3910 and a Salamande Triple 20 AV rack from them as well. Guess what, the Denon had an issue too. Unbelievable bad luck during my most recent upgrade but that was replaced under warranty as well.

Comment

• hhcan
                                  • Mar 2005

Thanks guys for the great info. I didn't know that custom installers are B&K authorized dealers. Come to think of it, it makes perfect sense since they may take business out of state too. These guys work across the border so the manufacture must cut some deal with them.

Comment

• bimmer528
                                    • Sep 2004

I just sold all my rotel pieces and i am in that darn audio period of making up my mind between the anthem avm 30 and the ref 50 II. My bro's is just phenominal but I know the avm-30 won the shootout vs all the them, even the showcase. To bad the avm-30 cost double the ref 50.

Comment

• bimmer528
                                      • Sep 2004

o sorry for double post but I think my brother is selling his 125.7 for 1k. IT is only a few months old but I know he wanted to buy the 200.7 and is the reason for selling.

Comment

• RenoReno2
                                        • Jan 2005

Well it wasn't really mail order I think they get around it by talking to the customer on the phone. I had to call the dealer to do any form of a transaction. The theater room size has changed that my brother in law and I are building so now I'm thinking I'll be better off with 200.7 than the 125.7. Initially we were thinking somewhere near 14 by 13 with 8ft ceilings now it's leaning towards 20-23 by 13 with 8 foot ceilings. eliminating a storage room in the basement and adding an attached garage with storage in the attic.

Comment

• hhcan
                                          • Mar 2005

If you only bought that 125.7 for a few months, you don't have to sell it. Trade it back in for the 200.7. You only need to pay your dealer the difference between the 200.7's price and the price you paid for you 125.7. That's right, you have a full year to do this. For instance, if you paid $1600 for the 125.7 eleven months ago, and the 200.7 is $2800, you only need to give your dealer $1200 and your 125.7 and bring home the 200.7.

That's another reason why I'd like the authorized dealer.

Comment

• bimmer528
                                            • Sep 2004

good point there hhcan, it would be much easier to do it that way. Keep in mind i have yet to find a dealer that will honer at 100% trade up past 6 months for electronics. Dealers will do it on speakers for a year but electronics are restricted some. Adding-if they will even allow you to upgrade to the same line but bk only has one line so that's moot.

For the amount of money saved on both unit's, its well worth it... hell, we saw people selling the series ii of the ref50 and 125.7 used for more then reno paid new. I guess they bought at tweeter. Funny thing too. tweeter is selling the series I for the price of a series II new from out of state.

DOA's should be covered if they are authorized or any warrentee issues and the chances of something happening are slim anyway.

gl and whatever choice you make will be the correct one.

Comment

• bmg1
                                              • Mar 2006

Hi Folks.
                                              I'm trying to move to B&K (from Rotel). I recently heard B&K at a friend's place and liked it. I've been looking around to find a reliable out-of-state authorized dealer when I found this thread. I haven't found anyone who is even close to offering the prices that you guys talked about. Could any of you please point me to the out-of-state dealer who was offering the great deals on the 125.7 s2 and Ref 50 s2 discussed in this thread?
                                              Have a nice day and happy listening,
                                              bmg1

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"