X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Natural1
    • Jul 2009

Idea - sell the 600 series online?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new user here but have been lurking since 2007 before I bought my 600 series speakers. This has always seemed like a very civil group and I thank you all for that! With that in mind, please understand that I am not looking to get into any arguments on this topic.

Ok, this post is way too long so if the title doesn't interest you, please go no further...

Also, I searched the forum and did not see any similar topics, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

When I realized yesterday that the only Magnepan dealer in the Atlanta area had closed, it really struck me as obvious that the manufacturers are going to have to re-think their business strategies in order to survive.

When I was looking for speakers in early 2008 I really wanted to check out the Monitor Audio RS series, but not one dealer in Atlanta had any RS series speakers on the floor, and only one had an actual store front (they have since closed as well). The others were all custom installers with no inventory. From both the manufacturers and consumers point of view, this is a fundamentally bad situation. Here you have a metropolitan area of over 5 million people with whoknowshowmany potential customers that cannot even see your product. Even worse, the custom installers with no inventory also have no return policy. Basically, you are screwed if you want Monitor Audio speakers and you live in Atlanta.

This is a B&W forum and I have B&W speakers, so I'm obviously going to use B&W as the basis for my suggestion. However this would apply to other manufacurers in similar situations.

It's simple - allow the sale of 600 series speakers, and only the 600 series, online or by phone.

As the manufacturer...
    - You greatly increase your potential customer base. Consider folks in smaller towns and rural areas that are over 100 miles from the closest dealer, and add to that the demise of so many local shops in the larger cities. From the manufacturers point of view, if you don't have a problem now you certainly will soon.
    - You retain your brand exclusivity by limiting online/phone sales to the introductory series. I think Paradigm has done this already. I know Paradigm has a larger number of speaker series, but I really don't think that matters. As someone who would like to move to the higher end B&W speakers in the future - personally I can't see that selling the 600 series online would diminish the perceived value of the bigger stuff or make me want it any less. Maybe that's just me...
    - You further protect the brand by setting a UMRP similar to what Era/Peachtree Audio has done. Again, this would only apply to the 600 series. The dealers would have the same freedom to "deal" on the higher end speakers.
    - You protect the dealer network by limiting sales to the existng dealers and keeping the same basic rules that exist now in order to become a new dealer - in particular make sure that they all still have store fronts and are not online-only outfits. Add to that the fact that there is no price competition and the dealers should be fairly well protected.
    - You make sure the dealers will all accept returns on the 600 series. All the customer has to do is pay the return shipping. Maybe even offer flat-rate return shipping subsidized by the manufacturer? Turn this into marketing material. "We believe in our product, we know you will too!" etc..

That's the basic argument, but there's one more item that I'd like to throw in there specific to the "next" 600 series...

Get rid of the vinyl covering while keeping everything else basically the same. Maybe make a few small internal improvements here or there so you can talk about it, but keep the manufacturing proces as close to what it is today as possible. So, you re-use as much of the existing manufacturing line as you can, keeping costs down, then you replace the vinyl with a proper veneer. Many other companies have proven that the finishing process can be done properly, beautifully, with real wood, and all while keeping costs reasonable.

I would not profess to understand commercial manufacturing, but I'd be willing to bet that by doing this B&W could get away with a very small percentage increase in the dealer cost. And, because they are now selling all 600 series speakers at list price - not the current typcal 10-15% discount - the list price might not even need to increase beyond current levels. More marketing material -> better speakers, no price increase!!!

Ok, so now you have a new 600 series with nice looking veneers, marketed and sold to a larger audience than before, and with a minimal, if any, price hike.

Ok, so where's the downside? The only thing I can think of is a small chance of a hit to the perception of brand exclusivity and therefore diminished sales in the higer end series. But with all the safeguards in place I really wouldn't expect that to be an issue. Forget the stuff about the real veneers and apply it to the current 600 series if necessary. It still seems like a winner to me. I can't see how this would not help sales.

What do you think? Where does my theory not hold water? What is it that I do not understand? Maybe I'm just plain nuts

- and as I said in the beginning of this gigantic post, please don't think that I'm fishing for an argument here. I just think it's an interesting topic and would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks for reading!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I read your post twice... but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you trying to venture into a new way of dealing???
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Polk tried that. Failed miserably. Once you cross that line, its hard to go back. They are doing things close to that though. The Zepplin iPod dock is reaching far beyond normal dealers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Natural1
        • Jul 2009

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure what the rules for B&W are in Japan, but here in the US B&W dealers are limited to in-store sales only and cannot sell the products over the phone or online. Due to economic realities many US audio dealers are closing which is impacting the ability of US consumers to purchase many of the specialty brands that are only available in store.

This post is nothing more than a concept and a few questions... should B&W (or other manufacturers with similar restrictive policies) allow sales of their lower-end series online in order to foster growth? Would that work? If not, why? Is there a better idea?

That's all

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Well... one could always write B&W directly and ask them why they don't allow the sale of their products (even the lower series) over the phone or internet. It's the best chance to get a real answer. And it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• kmcheng
            • Jan 2008

Official reason: They have handpicked their dealers who have proper set-up, training, knowledge, etc. about their various lines of products. You can only do a proper audition if you are physically in a sound-treated room.

Unofficial reason: It is easier for you to get caught with upgraditis if you physically visit the store and see all these tweeters on top and the marlin heads.

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

Originally posted by kmcheng
              Official reason: They have handpicked their dealers who have proper set-up, training, knowledge, etc. about their various lines of products. You can only do a proper audition if you are physically in a sound-treated room.

Unofficial reason: It is easier for you to get caught with upgraditis if you physically visit the store and see all these tweeters on top and the marlin heads.
              Ain't that the truth!

Actually, I think there are some dangers in getting too loose with the sales & distribution options. For one thing it seems to lower the sense of "prestige" associated with the brand. Warranty issues might become a lot trickier as well, at least compared to the current situation.

Personally I don't have a problem with the way they are doing business: as pointed out, the Zeppelin (clearly a much more mass-appeal product) is more readily available than the speakers. But I don't know that they'd gain very much if they allowed on-line sales of their speakers. The time may come when they have to offer this, but it seems to me that it might create more headaches than are worth it.

I suppose in theory, when you buy from an authorized dealer you are not just buying the speakers, you are also "buying" support, advice and possible upgrade pathways. You have someone who is trained to take care of you (to some degree) if you have problems or need repairs. So rather than every consumer with a question or problem contacting B&W directly, they can go to the dealer who (if they are smart) will be happy to help you out. It's a system that, at least for me, works well.

Comment

• sunshdw
                • Sep 2008

SO let me get this straight. You think the 600 series should be sold online through B&W or should the dealers be able to sell them online?
                Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• Natural1
                  • Jul 2009

Interesting, thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Comment

• emig5m
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
                    I suppose in theory, when you buy from an authorized dealer you are not just buying the speakers, you are also "buying" support, advice and possible upgrade pathways. You have someone who is trained to take care of you (to some degree) if you have problems or need repairs. So rather than every consumer with a question or problem contacting B&W directly, they can go to the dealer who (if they are smart) will be happy to help you out. It's a system that, at least for me, works well.
                    Yea, my dealer will let me borrow stuff (within reason) to try at home. Borrowed a set of stands for the 685's last week without having to put a penny down. When I got my first set of B&W's I traded back in a couple times no questions asked. I had purchased the demo pair of 683's and had them past the in-home trial period and was still able to give them back for a brand new pair no questions asked. I'd also hate to see a finer speaker like B&W at someplace like Best Buy. I agree with having a hard time to go and hunt down a place that sells the finer stuff but looking at B&W's dealer locator there's actually quite a few B&W dealers near me. Next problem is finding what you want in stock...

I think the vinyl covering on the 600 series is fine... I'd like more color options if anything as I don't really care for most of the colors in the 600 series now. Real wood veneer would be nice though... even my old $600 radio shack speakers came with real wood veneer, heh.

Comment

• Natural1
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sunshdw
                      SO let me get this straight. You think the 600 series should be sold online through B&W or should the dealers be able to sell them online?
                      My thought was only via the dealers. Keep a tight leash on them as they do now - but let them sell the 600 series (and only the 600 series) online/by phone.

Comment

• wgriel
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Natural1
                        My thought was only via the dealers. Keep a tight leash on them as they do now - but let them sell the 600 series (and only the 600 series) online/by phone.
                        That's certainly not a bad idea: I suspect the big obstacle to this is the way that B&W gives dealers a region in which they are authorized to sell in. As far as I know, they don't allow two dealers to overlap.

I suppose a dealer could sell on-line just in their region, but really, the whole point of having regional dealers is to get people in the store. But we'll see what the future brings: there may very well be a time when you sell on-line or close your doors.

Comment

• Natural1
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by wgriel
                          That's certainly not a bad idea: I suspect the big obstacle to this is the way that B&W gives dealers a region in which they are authorized to sell in. As far as I know, they don't allow two dealers to overlap.

I suppose a dealer could sell on-line just in their region, but really, the whole point of having regional dealers is to get people in the store. But we'll see what the future brings: there may very well be a time when you sell on-line or close your doors.
                          Yea I thought about the "sell online just in their region" idea too, assuming that there was a limit on the number of dealers in a particular area or something similar.

In my area there are quite a few authorized dealers for the primary (600-800 series) products. However, I think only one (maybe 2) has an actual store front where you can go and have a look/listen. I'm pretty sure the rest are just custom installers - which would seem to go against some of the assumptions that folks have put forth?

Of course it should be noted that I have absolutely no clue as to the actual requirements B&W puts on its dealers. This is just an observation from using the dealer locator and looking at the information/websites of those local dealers.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"