• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

New B&W CT Home Theater Series Speakers

Found this announcement from CEDIA 2007:

B&W Unveils Compact Custom Theater Lineup; CT800-Series Addition

North Reading, MA-September 2007- Bowers & Wilkins' Custom Theater lineup, which brought the world-standard performance of B&W's 800-series Nautilus™ designs to high-end custom-installed home theaters, created quite a stir upon its introduction two years ago. Now the British maker will unveil a new, more widely accessible Custom Theater lineup at the 2007 CEDIA Expo in Denver, Colorado. B&W's CT700 Custom Theater lineup is more modest in enclosure size, and considerably more modest in price than the frankly cost-no-object Custom Theater 800 range-yet it delivers precisely the same kind of jaw-dropping sonic impact, timbral and dialog integrity, and sonic transparency as its larger siblings.
    The CT700 comprises three different front/surround-channel options, 10-inch and 12-inch subwoofers, plus an outboard, rack-mounted subwoofer amplifier of 1,000 watts. All five 700-series loudspeaker elements are finished in a durable matte black, being intended for custom-installed concealed locations behind acoustically transparent screens, in custom cabinetry, or built into custom theater partitions. (To facilitate such designs, maximum depth of all CT700 models is 10.5 inches.)
    The new CT700 models uniformly employ B&W's well-known, proprietary woven-Kevlar® materials technology in their midrange and low-frequency drivers. There, its unique acoustic properties inhibit unwanted vibrations, for impressive freedom from the colorations that degrade transparency and realism.
    To eliminate reflections from projectors or other bright light sources all cones in the CT700 models utilize Blue Kevlar. Similarly, all CT700 models (save the subs) employ B&W's famous Nautilus™ tube-loaded tweeter design to absorb the unwanted back wave from their high-frequency drivers, greatly promoting clarity and detail, as well as its FlowPort™ turbulence-canceling cabinet vents for improved bass definition and dynamic agility.
    There are three options for CT700-series front and surround channels. The CT7.3 LCRS is a three-way layout using dual 8-inch Kevlar woofers, a 6-inch Kevlar midrange, and 1-inch cloth-dome, Nautilus-loaded tweeter. The two-way CT7.4 LCRS employs dual 6-inch Kevlar mid/bass drivers with the same tweeter system, while the generally similar CT7.5 LCRS substitutes a single 7-inch Kevlar mid/bass unit. All three CT700 variants are rigorously engineered for precisely matching timbre and overall transient and dynamics characteristics, so that a system may be freely laid out between any combination of models.
    The 700-series Custom Theater subwoofers are compact, closed-box designs to facilitate installation in cabinetry or partitions. The CT SW12 utilizes a single very long-throw 12-inch driver composed of a paper/Kevlar composite, while the CT SW10 is proportionately identical using a 10-inch cone. Both CT700 subs are intended for use with their new companion, the SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier. This deceptively compact (2U rackmount) unit less than 4 inches tall and barely 17 pounds in weight nonetheless produces an astounding 1,000 watts of subwoofer-range power, thanks to its ultra-efficient ICEpower™ Class D amplifier design. The SA1000 also incorporates extensive crossover flexibility, including equalization custom-tailored to the CT700 woofers, delivering deep-bass extension all the way to 18 Hz (CT SW12). Designers may easily specify multiple subwoofers, using each SA1000 to power as many as two units.
    All of the Custom Theater CT700 models are supplied in matte black finish, with acoustically transparent, magnetically affixed grilles.
    Also at Denver's CEDIA 2007, Bowers & Wilkins will simultaneously introduce a new addition to the Custom Theater 800 series. Like its forbearers, the new CT8.4 LCRS, incorporates the legendary technologies of B&W's 800 Series stand-alone speakers to achieve literally reference-standard performance. The CT8.4 LCRS packs the power to function excellently in front-, side- and rear-channel duties within a complete 800-series custom system. It is also a more compact alternative to the range's CT8 DS side/rear channel speaker for use where space is at a premium. The CT8.4 LCRS' 8-inch Kevlar/paper woofer, 6-inch woven-Kevlar FST midrange, and 1-inch aluminum Nautilus-loaded tweeter yield precisely the same authentically three-dimensional listening experience as its larger siblings.
    B&W's newest Custom Theater models will be available from October 2007, at the following manufacturer's suggested prices:
    CT7.3 LCRS.............................................. ......... $1,500
    CT7.4 LCRS.............................................. ......... $1,000
    CT7.5 LCRS.............................................. ............ $600
    CT SW10.............................................. .................. $tba
    CT SW12.............................................. .................. $tba
    SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier............................ $tba
    CT8.4 LCRS (Custom Theater 800 Series).... $4,000

-Russ
    Russ
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

Hi Russ L

Do you have any pictures of the new CT 700 series and the new CT8,4 or links to some pictures.I must say that the new CT 7,3 sounds very interesting,but how does it sound in stereo?

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Mikael
      Hi Russ L

Do you have any pictures of the new CT 700 series and the new CT8,4 or links to some pictures.I must say that the new CT 7,3 sounds very interesting,but how does it sound in stereo?
      Nothing yet...just the B&W press release. Details will follow from B&W. -Russ
      Russ

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

They looked, well, like a box. They're designed to go in a cabinet, so nothing but a black box with blue kevlar mids.

I did ask what range they would best match and was told none of them. The tweaks needed to make them sound good built into something made them sound different then B&W's normally do.

Kevin D.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Here's a preview...

Attached Files
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Mikael
            • Aug 2007

Hi RebelMan

Thanks for the preview.I love the blue kevlar, if I could get a 803D with blue kevlar it would be so cool.But I think it would have been better if B&W had mede the left and right and sides upright like the CT 800 series

Best Mikael

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

ThanX for the news, Russ & amazing pic preview, RebelMan. The blue Kevlar looks awesome. Wonder what the sound will be like. This creates a desire to give serious thought to whether or not to separate home theater from audio in terms of dedicated rooms. Ahhhh, it feels good to dream. :B :B

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Thanks for the preview.I love the blue kevlar, if I could get a 803D with blue kevlar it would be so cool.But I think it would have been better if B&W had mede the left and right and sides upright like the CT 800 series.
                Ah, herein lies the beauty of the CT8s. The trebel/midrange unit is adjustable up to 180 degrees. Rotate the cabinet and TM unit and bam, you have a TMW config instead of a WTM config. Sweet!

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Ah, herein lies the beauty of the CT8s. The trebel/midrange unit is adjustable up to 180 degrees. Rotate the cabinet and TM unit and bam, you have a TMW config instead of a WTM config. Sweet!
                  Only the CT800s have adjustable tweeters and mids? Not the CT700? Whatta bummer if that's the case.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

More B&W pics at CEDIA thanks to engadgetHD...

Bowers & Wilkins / Rotel's CEDIA booth tour

Comment

• WI Rotel
                      • Jul 2006

Guess the CT8' were selling as fast as Bugatti Veyrons, time to build a set that non billionairs can afford

Comment

• Mikael
                        • Aug 2007

Yep Wi Rotel.that must be the case,as i said before I love the blue kevlar but why have they gone from the super cool black kevlar to the blue?
                        Speaking of new speakers, does any one know when we can expect an opgraded or new version of the 700 series,it is a bit outdated after the new 600 series.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

Yep Wi Rotel.that must be the case,as i said before I love the blue kevlar but why have they gone from the super cool black kevlar to the blue?
                          Speaking of new speakers, does any one know when we can expect an opgraded or new version of the 700 series,it is a bit outdated after the new 600 series.
                          Its looks like the 7 series is history. Replaced by the XT and CM series.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

I think if I were building a dedicated theater, these would find their way into it somehow.

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

... i said before I love the blue kevlar but why have they gone from the super cool black kevlar to the blue?
                              Isn't it obvious why? Blue is cool (pun intended). :B

I suspect it's because the use of blue minimizes reflections and it progressively distinguishes the B&W brand from would be plagiarizers. Notice the increased use of yellow Kevlar from B&W competitors? B&W has and they make a point of it in their literature.

Comment

• Mikael
                                • Aug 2007

Do you think we 'll se more B&W speakers with the blue kevlar instead of the yellow,maybe the new 700 series, I don't think the 700 series is historie,and if it is, it could be cool with an updated version of the matrix series.IMO.

Comment

• Sanman023
                                  • Apr 2007

the system is also featured in the current home entertainment magazine....

Comment

• Mikael
                                    • Aug 2007

Do you have a link Sanman023?

Comment

• Sanman023
                                      • Apr 2007

sorry..no link..just the magazine..

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"