X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Eureka" TV series on DVD

Eureka : Having just burned through the complete series of "House M.D" once again, I found myself in my local library desperately looking for a new series to watch and I stumbled across this one.

Having read the box about the story line I thought that this series could be entertaining........and IT IS!
    This series is about a small town who's citizens are some of the most renowned scientists in the World. It is run by the government and is somewhat of a secret. A US marshal and his daughter inadvertently stumble into the town and immediately realize that this is NOT an ordinary small, US town. The rest is history and he eventually gets a job there as Sheriff.

This is a fun, cool, scientific, brainy and funny series that waffles on whether it wants to be a comedy or an outright, light Drama. In a small way, it reminds me of the series "Chuck", but with a different plot. However, it has the same kooky characters.

I've burned deep into the first season and although I feels like the writers are trying to find their way as to where they want the series to go, it looks like they are going in a good direction!

The video and audio for this 2007 series is exceptional and as I watch it, I am consumed by the excellent video quality on my 60 inch monitor and the audio is also excellent in Dolby Digital.

8/10 stars for what is sure to be an entertaining ride! :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I watched this early on and was intrigued by it, but the cable channel that carried stopped and I never re-connected to it. I now have it on a list of things to revisit (though, to be honest, that list is so long, and preceded by an even longer list of things to watch for the first time--TV programmes and movies--that it may take me a decade to get to it). From what I remember, it was quite entertaining. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Ya I'll be watching this one for awhile. My library carries the whole series. From what I saw, there's a good 7-8 seasons of this puppy, which is a good indicator for a series to last that long !

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

This was my favorite show by a long shot all the way up to its ending, it never got dull or boring and even now I still miss it.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

"Eureka update!

I thought there were more seasons than initially. It turns out that there are 5 seasons in total. I am now spinning season 5 and something has gone terribly wrong. If I had to guess I would think they lost their writers?? Season 5 has lost it's way and has become both dumb and dumber and at times outright sinister! The first holiday episode of season 5 called "Do you see what I see" is outright silly and almost un-watchable. The 2nd episode called "Lost" is really off the mark of the spirit of the series. After the Astraeus mission to Titan fails, the government behind Global Dynamics decides to put the whole operation in the hands of computers and robots and they put all the scientists in a coma state and record and feed off their ideas and dreams by creating a false reality and watching and learning from them that way. This is so off the mark of the original series concept that it appears this series is coming to a crashing halt very fast! A sad ending to what was a great series.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

The bad guys put them in the coma and all that stuff.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Ok.....ok........ok..........Turns out I was a little hasty with my above comments. Continuing into disc 2 and now into disc 3 of the final season, things have stabilized quite a bit. The first 2 episodes of the first disc were off mark but things get fixed pretty quickly after that and the series becomes fun again. However I can tell you one thing, if I was a top scientist working at a government research center and they put me in a stasis coma to suck knowledge out of my brain without my permission, I would be outta' there lickity split once I managed to get woke up!!

However, after that horrible holiday cartoon first episode and the coma induced second one, things get fun and interesting again and some of the science gets pretty cool! I'm looking forward to the final episode and how they are going to end it.

All is well in Eureka again!

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Their employer didn't put them in the coma from what I remember, it was that rogue person that used to be part of their facility. She was working with an independent company or something separate from the group government.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Hdale85, you are somewhat correct but I believe at one point she was trying to justify what she was doing to some person of authority or another. In any event, I have finished the series and very much liked the positive ending.

I very much enjoyed this series and now I have to find another series. Any suggestions??

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Did you ever watch Stargate? Or Battlestar Gallactica? Well neither are on Netflix ATM, although I am watching Stargate on amazon prime instant video.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                      Did you ever watch Stargate? Or Battlestar Gallactica? Well neither are on Netflix ATM, although I am watching Stargate on amazon prime instant video.
                      Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check if my library carries them!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"