X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Problems with Denon DVD-3910...help!

I just got a new Denon DVD-3910. There's parts of it that I really like, but I'm having some problems. I know that several people here on the Guide own the 3910, so I thought you could help out. Several things--

1. Can't quite figure out bass management with SACD/DVD-A over the 5.1 analog outputs. Digital audio connections to my Parasound C1 pre/pro work great and sound good. With the 5.1 analog, I was getting NO subwoofer output, even after going into the Denon audio setup, selecting subwoofer-yes, all speakers-small, etc. Finally, I tried selecting Source Direct - YES, which is not well described in the manual and is confusing. I got a subwoofer output, but it was very soft. So I bumped up the subwoofer output in the Denon menu to +10, and now it sounds okay, although I haven't calibrated. Basically, with the analog outputs and DVD-A/SACD, are the only bass management controls that matter the ones in the Denon, and what should be selected?

2. Pluge. Using Avia/DVE, I'm not seeing any pluge signal passed, also known as blacker-than-black. This apparently has been acknowledged by Denon as a problem in units manufactured after August 2004. My build date is October 2004. I called Denon tech support, and as soon as I said "Denon 3910", they said "problems with blacker-than-black, or red?" So this is a known problem. Denon tech said that a fix is coming for this in the next month, but that the chip will have to be re-flashed, requiring the unit to be taken or shipped to a Denon service center.

3. Firmware. When I checked the firmware my unit shipped with, it was -5. I went to Denon's support website, put in my serial number, and it provided me a software update for -9 firmware. I did the update, with no change in pluge. But now my component outputs put out a 4:3 signal, regardless of progressive or interlaced selected. I've even tried re-initializing the unit per Denon instructions and resetting all settings, including a 16:9 display, squeeze mode off, etc. Still 4:3, so if I watch an anamorphic movie on my widescreen projector and screen, it's double letterboxed with black bars on all four sides.

The Denon tech suggested I try doing a unit reset (not a re-initialization) by turning the unit off with the on/off button, then turning it on while holding the "STOP" button. I did this, and all it did was a normal power-on sequence.

Does anybody know how to RESET Denon 3910 players? Apparently powering it off and pulling the power cord doesn't do it either.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

Go back to your set up and make sure you have 16:9 selected, also change direct output to "on", this will increase SACD by 15db's but will not use any processing in the DVD player (dont confuse this with direct source).
    My Car Audio

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Not sure if the 3910 has the same bass management as my 2900, but the factory LFE analog output is 15dB down. I adjust the main 5 channels to -10 using the level controls in my 2900, and then boost sub output +5dB using my pre/pro. Of course when switching back to the digital out of my 2900 I have to cut this 5dB boost for DD/DTS tracks.

Hope that helps.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Thanks, Nicholas, that's pretty close to what I've figured out with the 3910. If I boost the subwoofer by +10 in the 3910 analog processing (it's even a selectable option, so Denon must know that this happens) it seems pretty close. That way all the boosting is done in the 3910, too, so if I swap back to digital or another input source, the pre-pro is still set up correctly.

Eddie, I do have 16:9 selected, and I'll take another look at the Direct Source again tonight.

The big news is, I think I figured out the issue with the aspect ratio problem on component. somebody posted this on the web:

Older versions of the firmware did support auto detection of anamorphic DVD's via component, although I never could get that to work via DVI even at 480p. On version -6 and earlier it would support auto detect via component 480p if you turned squeeze mode off. I don't know why they axed that in future updates, but it seems from -8 on it no longer worked.
        This would explain why the 3910 worked fine over compoent for me with the original -5 firmware it came with, but the -8, -9, and the -9A I've updated to all have the component aspect ratio problem. Why in the world would Denon REMOVE this feature from updates, though? That seems to be going in the wrong direction.

The good news is, I figured out a work-around. If I go into my 16:9 projector and manually force it to display a 16:9 image over component regardless of the input aspect ratio, it's displayed correctly. This is rather silly, though, that I have to do the manual selections.

Still no blacker-than-black with the latest -9A firmware update that came out yesterday.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Chris I'm not 100% sure about the 3910, but with the 2900 its down -15dB. You might still be down 5dB if you don't bost sub output with the pre/pro. Have you set up proper phase and equalized the output? From what Ron from SVS has told me (I'm soon upgrading to two 16-46 PC+'s), running two subs out of phase can actually give you less oomph if they are canceling each other.

Good luck, and I hope your party goes well!
          ~Nick

Comment

• eddiem67
            • Jun 2004

Do what i told you, I had the same problem that you were having, until I switched to direct output to on. now both 5.1 analog and digital side sound the same, I use my pre pro for all my settings.
            My Car Audio

Comment

• Jon SS
              • Oct 2002

Chris,

Just wondering what other players you compared the 3910 to when deciding what to buy. Did you look at the Pioneer Elite 59avi. I also have the Halo equipment and am deciding between the 3910 and the 59avi but am 50/50!

Thanks

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Jon, my short list was the 3910, the Denon 2910, and the 59avi. Went with the 3910, mostly for the rave reviews about audio and video performances. The 59avi wouldn't be a slouch.

However, with the problems with my 3910 (no pluge and component video aspect ratio error) I'm considering swapping for a different unit, and am looking at two brand new universal Sherwood Newcastle DVD players about to come out in the next month. Thank goodness I got the player from a fantastic dealer--Jim at NextLevelAV, see the top ad banner on this page.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• eddiem67
                  • Jun 2004

Denon just released the latest firmware upgrade for the 2910,3910 and 5910.
                  My Car Audio

Comment

• georgev
                    • Jul 2004

What is it called and what does it correct?
                    I am waiting for Denon to upgrade my 3910 whic I bought two months ago. It has version 6 currently.
                    I do my bass management via my processor.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

are these problems directly related to the 2910 as well?

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Blaze, the 2910 isn't seeing these problems.

Jim at Next Level swapped out my 3910, which is working much better. I haven't had time to do the newest software update. (is it -9-B now?)
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ralph P.
                          • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Chris,

Yes 6609-B is the latest firmware update.
                          Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
                          Blu-ray Disc Reviews
                          AVSForum.com
                          My Home Theater
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Oh, hey, Ralph!
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Good to see you over here Ralph. Welcome!

Jim
                              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Patt
                                • Feb 2005

Hello Ralph......... :later:

....................aka...Workerbee
                                ......Pat

Comment

• Ralph P.
                                  • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Chris, Jimmy, and Pat thanks for the welcome ! :T
                                  Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
                                  Blu-ray Disc Reviews
                                  AVSForum.com
                                  My Home Theater
                                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

The rumor on the street is that Denon will be releasing ANOTHER new firmware update by the end of June that would include the Denon Link 3rd Edition to pass SACD as well. Should be 9-C firmware.

I haven't updated my new 3910 at all yet (I think it came with -6) but I'll probably do 9-C when it comes out, although the Denon Link won't do me any good since I use a Parasound pre/pro.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"