Help me choose my DVD player--Denon 2910 or 3910? Help!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Help me choose my DVD player--Denon 2910 or 3910? Help!!!

Hi, all-

I need help in choosing my new DVD player now. After a lot of research, etc, it really comes down to these two models--Denon 2910, or Denon 3910. The 3910 is the higher-end model, but I'm trying to decide if the extra $500 or so cost is really justified for me. Hopefully those of you that know these two models and not only their specs but their real-life performances can shed some light to help me choose.

Looking at the Denon data from their website, a few differences in features are evident. However, since I use a Parasound pre/processor, I really don't think I'll have any use for the Denon link or IEEE1394 jacks on the 3910. Similarly, I don't use any sort of Crestron RS-232 controls for my theater system (unfortunately) so I don't think I'd use that either.

Other than that, the two units look very very similar in specs. Universal players that do HD-like upconversion. So what would I really be gaining with the 3910?

I'd be using the piece primarily for DVD video playing, upconverted to 720p on a large 119" diagonal front projection screen. I would use the universal audio capability, although less frequently.

Any insight? Experiences with how these two actually perform real-life?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Don't have any insight...other than the fact the 3910 is a solid and more musically inclined. Your best best is to demo the two and see if you 'HEAR' a difference. If you don't ....save your money and get the 2910.

Comment

• mtodde
      • Jan 2005

The 3910 has a much better power supply and thus has better performance for music.

I have the 2900, which was the predecessor to the 3910. If you don't need DVI out, you may be able to find a new 2900 at Crutchfield still. Several places are selling refurbs too.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"