X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asg420
    • Jul 2004

New to fourm.....Parasound vs. Rotel

Hi -

I must say that I am extremely excited to find your forum on the web. I am looking forward to becoming a part of your community and thank you in advance for your time to reply.

I have been a long time devotee of Rotel recievers and B&W speakers. I have had the Rotel 900 seeries reciever as well as currently have a RSX-1056. We recently purchased a house and now I have the space and freedom to employ a system of great porportions!

I have chosen the B&W 802's as my front speakers for a 5.1 chanel system. I am addicted to my 2 channel stereo sound and can't believe the clarity and warmth these B&W speakers offer. I auditioned the 802's with the Rotel RMB-1095 and the 1068 processor.

My dealer suggests that if I am willig to spend the money, that the 802's will benifit from making the jump to the 1098 processor. Not being able to audition the 1098 makes me a little sad, but from what i've read here and other places on the net, I shouldn't be dissapointed with either one.

For those who have heard both processors, if I am decided on the 802's then which processor would you buy?

I know this is the Parasound Club, and I am probably in the right place, but how do you guys feel about Parasound gear overall compared to Rotel? I was at a different dealer yesterday and heard the Parasound Halo C2 processor and A51 amp through the 802's and thought the sound was tight, clear and warm. This dealer did not carry Rotel so I was unable to compare the two companies at the same time.

Why would you suggest Parasound over Rotel - I know that the 802's will do whatever I want....but is the Parasound gear better for truly digital 5.1 soundtracks and movies? Is the Rotel gear more suited for cd audio stereo sound?

And very important question for me - if you had to split up the C2 & A51 dur to cost, which would you NEED to have in your system the amp or processof for the 802's? I am considering going with the Parasound processor and the Rotel 1095 amp - would you do this or reverse it? Which Parasound product will make the most difference in the sound the amp or the processor?

I appreciate your insight and thank you for your response!

Best regards,

asg

PS- sorry my post is so long :-)
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

I'm in the middle of writing a long comparison between the Rotel 1098 and the Parasound C2, I'll post it here as soon as it's finished.
    I currently own both processors, and I've had the 1098 for about half a year and the C2 about 2 months.
    I'm still deciding which one to keep and it isn't an easy decision.
    Though the C2 is more detailed and better with movies, the 1098 sounds more lively with music (movies are OK too but a little less good than with the C2).
    One of the main deciding factors is also the functionality, and the 1098 has a whole lot more features than the C2. (component upconversion, group delay, advanced bass managment, 192 / 24 DAC's, analog bypass mode, ...)
    There's whole list of differences between both processors and both have their ups and downs.

Regarding amplifiers, I'd definitely advise you to try a more powerful amplifier with those 802's.
    I'd recommend a Parasound Halo A21 or HCA3500 just for the 802's, and a 5-ch A51 or HCA2205AT for the other channels. (or some other brand if you prefer, like Bryston/Krell/Accuphase/....)
    An RMB1095 imho just doesn't cut it for a speaker like 802's.
    Even the RB1090 isn't what I'd call a good match.
    I used to have an RMB1075 for my 804's, but I got a used Parasound HCA2205AT instead and the difference was huge.
    Compared to the Parasound, the Rotel lacked punch and detail, and not just a little.

I am considering going with the Parasound processor and the Rotel 1095 amp - would you do this or reverse it?
    In light of my own experiences with Rotel and Parasound amps, I wouldn't buy a Rotel amp for Nautilus speakers.
    It may just be personal taste, but then again there just wasn't any sign of tight bass or dynamics or detail with the RMB1075 on my 804's.
    So I'd definitely advise a Parasound amplifier, and then you can still choose the processor which is best for you depending on your system and your needs.
    The 1098 has more functions, but sounds a little less detailed and a bit brighter.
    The C2 sounds cleaner, has less hiss, even has balanced (pseudo) outputs but lacks a lot of functions the 1098 does offer.
    It does have a few things the 1098 doesn't, like those programmable outputs and auto-calibration, but that's it.
    Also keep in mind that the C2 is about 50% more expensive than the 1098 (over here it's even more).
    The same goes for the amplifiers, which is why I bought mine used.

Comment

• asg420
      • Jul 2004

2 channel vs. 5 channel

Thank you for your most imformitive post!

I can't wait to read your review...I guess I am not the only one with this deliemma!

So as I have read more on the internet about the products I am interested in, I see that I may want to divide up my power amps to power the 802's seperatly from the rear's and center.

How does the A51 compare with its 2 channel brother? I was always told that 250w/ch is the same 250w/ch no matter if it is produced from a 2 channel or 5 channel amp. Does this hold true for the Parasound Halo line of amps?

Would I want to use a 2 Channel Parasound amp for the 802's and a rotel amp for the surrounds and rear channels? How does the 2 channel Parasound compare with say the Rotel 1090 which offers 380w/ch? If more power is better for the 802's then maybe I should the Rotel?

In regard to your comments about the processors....The room which I will be using in my new house is much larger, has wood floors and 20 ft ceilings. I am used to listening to my music in a room with wall to wall carpeting and 8 foot ceilings. I am sure that my room is going to be much brighter sounding than pervious. I am now wondering if the Rotel brightness which you mention, will be too bright in the new room.

Does the parasound processor color the sound in any direction? When you say "warmer" do you feel that the sound produced has more emphasis on the upper mid range than the high's? I have always found with my rotel gear that the mids are a bit tapered and highs and lows are emphasized. I guess my question is does "warmer" mean less highs - a less bright, harsh sound? Possible with the carpeting in my old room, the high were absorbed more than they will be in the new room.....something else to rack my brain before the purchase!

Please post your review as soon as you can! (Or let me read a ":draft" :T version)

Best regards,

asg

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I don't know much about the parasound products, but I can say for sure that you are going to want the best amp for those 802's you can get.

What is your options for receivers? If you are trying to go high on one, and low on the other, maybe get the good amp, and the rotel 1068 as a receiver?

The 802's are rated at 500w, so the closer you can get to that number, the better your speakers will sound.

Also, make sure you are getting the htm1 center to go with the 802's. I dont believe the htm2 would be a good match.

If you are wanting to go parasound, you should consider nothin shy of the A51 or A52.

There are other options though too, such as the bryston 14b sst, which would be even better. It is only a 2 channel amp though. I dont know what they run though...

Possibly Krell, or Classe would make good matches as well.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Kevin97225
          • Oct 2004

Rotel and B&W go hand and hand!!

[QUOTE=DrBoom]
          Even the RB1090 isn't what I'd call a good match.
          Compared to the Parasound, the Rotel lacked punch and detail, and not just a little.
          In light of my own experiences with Rotel and Parasound amps, I wouldn't buy a Rotel amp for Nautilus speakers.

I strongly disagree with you!! Rotel and B&W Nautilus goes very well together. Using:

RB-1090
          RC-1090
          RCD-1072
          RT-1080
          B&W Nautilus 802

The bass from the Rotel RB-1090 is amazing. It has great punch! Deep, tight, clean bass with one of the best slams I've ever heard! Before I bought the Rotel RB-1090, I listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and I still favor the Rotel RB-1090 very much so over the Parasound. Even Stereophile did a review on the Rotel RB-1090 and prefered it over the Parasound. They also said the Rotel had no listening fatigue where as the Parasound was harder to listen to for longer periods. The review said that Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and more natural than the Parasound and that the Rotel was completely free from listening fatigue.... one of the BEST! Stereophile perference was for the Rotel. So is mine! The Rotel RB-1090 is very smooth, detailed, and warm tube-like... as some of the other reviews stated and goes well with all B&W speakers!

Comment

• nicholtl
            • Aug 2003

Boy, you sure dug around to resurrect this thread...

Do you have a link to that review?

Comment

• NMyTree
              • May 2004

[QUOTE=Kevin97225]
              Originally posted by DrBoom
              They also said the Rotel had no listening fatigue where as the Parasound was harder to listen to for longer periods. The review said that Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and more natural than the Parasound
              Wow. I don't own any Parasound amps, yet. But I plan on it.....in the not-too-distant future.

Your comments about Parasound, completely contradict what I have heard. And what just about every Parasound Amp owner has ever said.

I always hear them say: Parasound amps are clean, powerful, quiet, smooth, detailed...sweet and very musical. Absolutely non-fatiguing.

Odd.
              Tony

Comment

• nicholtl
                • Aug 2003

Not only that, but I've read several comparisons with Parasound and other contenders in the league, Rotel sometimes being briefly mentioned, but only briefly because it's not even in the same league. Whatever the case, the results are uniformly unanimous.

Comment

• goldear
                  • Aug 2003

Kevin:

Wow, Stereophile said all that about the Halos (listening fatigue) and yet they still chose it (JC-1) as their Amp of the Year for 2003. I'd like to see that review if you can dig it up. While I can't comment on the A21, the A51 was also awarded a AAA rating by SGHT in 2004. In fact, all the Halo amps have recieved enormous praise and Editor Choice awards...and I've never heard any reviewer characterize their sound as bright or harsh. Not that I doubt what you may hear, it's just that I've heard much the opposite.
                  Chris B

Comment

• goldear
                    • Aug 2003

By the way, if any of you missed it, Enjoy The Music has a wonderfully, detailed review of the JC-1. It also explains why some people may not have favorable impression of the JC1 right away (break-in takes a looong time). For those interested:

The Parasound Halo JC 1 Monoblock Amplifiers Review By Wayne Donnelly, Superior Audio Magazine is the leading authority in high-end audiophile music and audio equipment reviews.
                    Chris B

Comment

• bhuskins
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin97225
                      Before I bought the Rotel RB-1090, I listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and I still favor the Rotel RB-1090 very much so over the Parasound.
                      Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad you're happy with your selection.

Even Stereophile did a review on the Rotel RB-1090 and prefered it over the Parasound. They also said the Rotel had no listening fatigue where as the Parasound was harder to listen to for longer periods. The review said that Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and more natural than the Parasound and that the Rotel was completely free from listening fatigue.... one of the BEST! Stereophile perference was for the Rotel. So is mine!
                      Stereophile did a review when, specifically? They list all of their reviews online and the RB-1090 is not one of them. The RB-1080 was reviewed a year ago and got a so-so review. It specifically stated don't use it with really high-end (and demanding) speakers. I would consider the 802's in this category.

Now if you can produce the article I'll gladly eat crow...but I think that what you've stated above is completely false. Stereophile didn’t compare the 1090 to the A21 or to JC1s and they also didn't state what you've misrepresented. So the idea that Stereophile somehow preferred the Rotel amp over the Halo amps is absurd and does a disservice to everyone hear to say such a thing. Halo amps fatiguing...you've got to be kidding, right?

The Rotel RB-1090 is very smooth, detailed, and warm tube-like... as some of the other reviews stated and goes well with all B&W speakers!
                      Rotel...tube-like...NOT! Their not a bad amp at all, but let's get real. Most consider them on the bright side due to their inherent design.

Brent Huskins
                      Media Design

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

Time to Eat Crow!

The review on the 1090 from Stereophile is on the Rotel website.
                        You should always check a brand's website first before jumping to a quick conclusion. I wish I could have downloaded it here, but the file was too big.
                        Adz

Comment

• nicholtl
                          • Aug 2003

I'd be quite surprised if Kevin, with his 5 posts, responds to any of this at this point.

Comment

• bhuskins
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Adz
                            The review on the 1090 from Stereophile is on the Rotel website.
                            You should always check a brand's website first before jumping to a quick conclusion. I wish I could have downloaded it here, but the file was too big.
                            No quick conclusion here...and no crow to eat either. First, the article from January 2000 (thank you Adz for pointing out its location) compared the 1090 to the Parasound HCA-3500. This was almost 2 years before Halo. The HCA-3500 is a far cry from the Halo JC1's or even the Halo A21. The main problem is that Kevin lumped them together like they are one and the same. The HCA-3500 was discontinued in early 2001 and it is two generations earlier than any of the Halo stuff. The funny thing is that the review stated that there were several things that the 3500 did better than the 1090...superior in presenting detail, superior in controlling bass, superior dynamic headroom. The reviewer also stated that the Rotel was a bit compressed in sound.

My point is that even thought the reviewer ultimately preferred the Rotel...I can spin it too.

Let's compare the right things and not use outdated articles to try and prove our invalid points.

Like I said before, "Stereophile didn’t compare the 1090 to the A21 or to JC1s and they also didn't state what you've misrepresented. So the idea that Stereophile somehow preferred the Rotel amp over the Halo amps is absurd and does a disservice to everyone hear to say such a thing. Halo amps fatiguing...you've got to be kidding, right?"

Somebody please correct me...I'll get the humble pie ready if need be.

Brent Huskins
                            Media Design

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                              • Sep 2003

Hmm, I had the Rotel 1075 for a good 8 months so I feel I have the right to comment in here. While I thought it was an excellent amp, and still believe it is, the Halo A52 I got to replace it is much sweeter sounding, and seems to have much more dynamic power.

I found the Rotel caused listener fatigue, so my findings are the opposite of the "professional" reviewers.

It was a nice amp, especially for the price I paid used on ebay. But in my opinion, the current batch of Rotel amps dont belong in the same breath as the Halo amps. Simple as that.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                              GameTracker -My List-
                              Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2003

Guys,

Sounds like we are getting a little too intense over what is just subjective opinions on amplifer quality and sound. Rotel makes different models with different sound qualities and prices, so does Parasound. The Parasound top end goes well above the Rotels in price and (for many ears) quality - like the magnificent Halo JC1...

But it's all just opinion. I'm for relaxing and enjoying our systems...

Geoff

Comment

• Adz
                                  • Jan 2004

You are certainly right about the comparison in the 1090 review and the discrepancies in the post. :T

I was only pointing out that the review did in fact exist, since it was strongly implied that it didn't. I could have owned either amp but happily chose a different path.
                                  Adz

Comment

• goldear
                                    • Aug 2003

I agree, Geoff...amps, like all things audio, are very subjective. Unfortunately, Kevin did try to mislead with his statments about the January 2000 Stereophile review. Indeed, as Brent points out, this was a comparison between the Rotel and the HCA-3500...an amp that was discontinued the following year, and is a couple generations removed from the current Parasound crop. No doubt one could be happy with either unit...but let's at least be honest about what we are comparing.
                                    Chris B

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Okay, guys, you all know that I like everyone to get all the facts, both good and bad, about Parasound and competing products. This is the link that Adz refers to from Rotel's website, mentioning the RB-1090 amplifier in comparison/contrast with Parasound's older classic HCA-3500:

Click here for the rich text version
                                      Click here for the Adobe Acrobat .pdf version

I was actually surprised to find that Parasound is only mentioned in the last small section of the review. All this fuss in this thread over that? This is the section in question, quoted from the Stereophile review:

Much of my time with the RB 1090 was spent comparing it to the similarly priced ($2195 Parasound HCA 3500, reviewed elsewhere in this issue. Designed by the legendary John Curl, the HCA 3500 features full dual mono construction, with even bigger transformers and higher power supply capacitance than the Rotel (1.4kVA/97,600UF vs 1.25kVA/88,000UF). Although the Parasound is rated at 350W to the Rotel's 380W, the Parasound seemed to have more dynamic headroom: it sounded more comfortable playing music at very high levels higher than I normally listen where the Rotel started to sound a bit compressed. The Parasound was also superior in controlling the Dunlavy SC IV/As' woofers, bass having greater extension and punch.

In all other respects, however, the Rotel's performance was comparable or better. Both amplifiers allowed the Dunlavys to create a soundstage that was wide and deep. Both excelled at presenting detail, with perhaps a slight nod going to the Parasound. Where the Rotel moved ahead was in its avoidance of the sonic characteristics that lead to listening fatigue. It's not that the Parasound led me to cover my ears and run screaming from the room far from it. But, over time, I became increasingly aware of some of the upper midrange/ treble grain lending a slightly overetched quality to voices and instruments. The Rotel was relatively free of this effect, with the result that I was able to listen to it comfortably for longer periods.

The Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and, to my ears, more natural than that of the Parasound, at least in the context of this particular system. Both amplifiers represent outstanding value, and both are capable of excellent performance in the right system, but my preference is for the Rotel.
                                      Notice that this review is from Dec. 2000, four years ago, so while people can certainly take it into consideration, this would likely NOT be the authoritative word on "Parasound compared and contraster with Rotel". Remember, this is before Parasound Halo products even existed, and Rotel has developed many new products since then as well, including the nice 1098 processor.
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                        • Oct 2004

For nicholt

Originally posted by nicholtl
                                        Boy, you sure dug around to resurrect this thread...

Do you have a link to that review?
                                        Yes, go to the Rotel site and look under product reviews and they have
                                        a link to it.

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                          • Oct 2004

I never said Stereophile's review was the Parasound A21 and JC-1 in the same review!!! I said they prefered the Rotel to the Parasound in that review. I said
                                          that I listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and that I liked the Rotel RB-1090
                                          better, that is my own personal choice that I made after listening to them all
                                          and going for the Rotel RB-1090.

Now, one Amp doesn't mean it's better than another Amp, it's all personal choice. Some of you may think Rotel isn't any good but that's your choice, you can think what you want. I am very pleased with the Rotel RB-1090, just as I wouldn't be pleased with what others choices they may pick. It's personal choice and that is what really matters..... what sounds good to you and your ears. You are the final one paying your money!

My post was more for "DrBoom" who implies that the Rotel RB-1090 "lacks in bass in detail, and not just a little" comment is totally untrue. It just isn't the case, must have a problem else where in the system.

Now take a deep breath and calm down...... if you prefer Parasound over Rotel, it's ok! Just because I don't..... doesn't mean you can't be happy too with what you prefer. I'm happy you are happy with what you prefer for your likes.

Happy Music-ing

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                            • Oct 2004

You sound angry !!!

[QUOTE=bhuskins]
                                            Rotel...tube-like...NOT! Their not a bad amp at all, but let's get real. Most consider them on the bright side due to their inherent design.

Sorry to disappoint you there, several reviews do refer to it as almost
                                            warm tube-like. I find the same and it's definitely not bright! Unless
                                            you have something else in the system causing it, but not here.

I don't have time to debate and want to argue with you here about
                                            it, you must have not used a Rotel Amp. You can do your own research
                                            on it and go read TAS and The Innerear reviews on the Rotel RB-1090
                                            and some of the others and you can confirm it for yourself.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                              • May 2004

Before I bought the Rotel RB-1090, I listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and I still favor the Rotel RB-1090 very much so over the Parasound. Even Stereophile did a review on the Rotel RB-1090 and prefered it over the Parasound. They also said the Rotel had no listening fatigue where as the Parasound was harder to listen to for longer periods. The review said that Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and more natural than the Parasound and that the Rotel was completely free from listening fatigue.... one of the BEST!
                                              I believe the reason for the misunderstandings, and misinterpretations of what you said, lies in the above quote.

Nowhere in your post do you specifiy what Parasound amp was reviewed in Stereophile. Right after mentioning that you listened to the Halo A21 and Halo JC1, you made the comments about "Parasound Amps". Which is basically a generalization of all "Parasound Amps", because you never specified which Amps or which Parasound series of Amps you were refering to.

Thus the responses, that now, appear to be a simple misinterpretation.

Although, as much as I misinterpreted your comments, you certainly did not make yourself clear in your writing. It did come off as a sweeping generaliztion of all Parasound Amps.

I suggest we all ....gently place-in our favorite CD/record, kick back and enjoy the equipment we favour. :^x

"Oh OOOOh ...Listen To The Music....
                                              Oh OOOOh....Listen To The Music..........
                                              Oh OOOOh.......Listen To The Music............All The Time "

" Oh Baby, Let The Music Play "

:B :B
                                              Last edited by Chris D; 02 November 2004, 22:13 Tuesday.
                                              Tony

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                • Jan 2004

My post was more for "DrBoom" who implies that the Rotel RB-1090 "lacks in bass in detail, and not just a little" comment is totally untrue. It just isn't the case, must have a problem else where in the system.

Now take a deep breath and calm down...... if you prefer Parasound over Rotel, it's ok! Just because I don't..... doesn't mean you can't be happy too with what you prefer. I'm happy you are happy with what you prefer for your likes.

Happy Music-ing

So if DrBoom posts his impressions based on his preference it's "totally untrue" and your offended, but when you imply one amp is superior to another it's an opinion and everyone should calm down and remember it's just your opinion?

What?

Did I misunderstand something here, maybe I read this thread all wrong, or maybe you should go back and read you’re threads again and remember to treat others the way you expect to be treated. Sorry, but I have to call you on this, that was a blatant close-minded post.
                                                My Center Channel Project

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                  • May 2004

Unless you have something else in the system causing it, but not here.

Then, is it not possible that when you " listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and I still favor the Rotel RB-1090 very much so over the Parasound. " There could have been a component/speaker or something in the system link, which caused Parasound Amps to sound "inferior" to the Rotel amp, to your ears?

You know, works both ways.
                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 02 November 2004, 22:15 Tuesday.
                                                  Tony

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                    • Oct 2004

Some RB-1090 review quotes for "bhuskins"

"Rotel's strength is designing electronics and building them as cost efficiently as possible without
                                                    deteriorating quality. The RB1090 is practically two totally separate power amplifiers which share a single
                                                    chassis and a (detachable) power cord. Our listeners' overall impressions were that the amplifier sounds
                                                    extremely smooth across its frequency range, almost delivering what is often referred to as
                                                    "tube-like" information. This amp never sounds hard or clinical‹as in sterile. Rather, it sounds rich,
                                                    full-bodied and melodious. The Rotel's clearly audible forté is its capacity to deliver a most astounding
                                                    sound-stage. We feel that some loudspeakers one might use with the Rotel will sound more revealing
                                                    than others. As many loudspeakers feature somewhat harder and more forward sound, it stands to reason
                                                    that the RB1090 will provide an excellent match."

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                      • Aug 2003

I never said Stereophile's review was the Parasound A21 and JC-1 in the same review!!! I said they prefered the Rotel to the Parasound in that review. I said
                                                      that I listened to the Parasound A21 and JC-1 and that I liked the Rotel RB-1090
                                                      better, that is my own personal choice that I made after listening to them all
                                                      and going for the Rotel RB-1090.
                                                      You can back track all you want...It still doesn't change what you were saying. The fact is that 2+2 will never equal 5.

I assume then you are the only one with a correct opinion?

Brent Huskins
                                                      Media Design

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                        • Oct 2004

Fickle Finger Fate!

Again, my post was for "DrBoom" for the convictions he made with the RB-1090.
                                                        I'm not here to argue with you "NMyTree". And I'm not here to defend the
                                                        dealer's Parasound setups. I made my choice, you made your choice. Be happy!

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                          • Aug 2003

Sorry to disappoint you there, several reviews do refer to it as almost warm tube-like. I find the same and it's definitely not bright! Unless you have something else in the system causing it, but not here.
                                                          Once again, if someone disagrees with you then they must have something else wrong. The 1090 can definitely be on the bright side when compared to other amps in its class. When compared to JC1s (which are above its class IMO) the 1090 sounds harsh. This is my opinion from personal review.

I don't have time to debate and want to argue with you here about it, you must have not used a Rotel Amp. You can do your own research on it and go read TAS and The Innerear reviews on the Rotel RB-1090 and some of the others and you can confirm it for yourself.
                                                          If you don't have time to debate, then why did you post anything to begin with? Facts won't be argued with, but biased comments will always get challenged...especially when they are in the minority. "I must have not used a Rotel amp", are you kidding? I've been a dealer for 6 years and all but stopped carrying them when Halo came out. My direct A/B comparisons led me to that decision. BTW - I've already confirmed what I've said...that's why I said it to begin with.

Brent Huskins
                                                          Media Design

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                            • May 2004

Fickle Finger Fate!

Again, my post was for "DrBoom" for the convictions he made with the RB-1090.
                                                            I'm not here to argue with you "NMyTree". And I'm not here to defend the
                                                            dealer's Parasound setups. I made my choice, you made your choice. Be happy!
                                                            I'm not arguing with you.

I have simply offered up some opinons and suggestions, in a manner that I believe, has been for the most part very diplomatic and objective.

I would never argue over what someone likes or prefers, for their Audio/Home Theater gear. It's all a matter of personal taste/preference.

These forums are for discussions and sometimes debates do break out.

But the fact remains, you made some comments that were vague, unspecified and were basically sweeping generalizations.

You offer up an explanation for why a Rotel amp may come off bright or harsh, but you don't seem take the very same reasoning into account, when discussing the Parasound Amps.

Don't you see how your posts are coming off as biased and unobjective?

You also seem to ignore the fact that your original post was misleading, because you never specified what Parasound Amps you were refering to, and spoke in general terms. Apparently you're not holding yourself accountable for your written errors, which lead to the misunderstandings. It almost seems as if you think everyone pulled this out of mid-air, and not from your own words.
                                                            Last edited by Chris D; 02 November 2004, 22:17 Tuesday.
                                                            Tony

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                              • Oct 2004

Thanks all for your comments and concerns!

Now it's time to move onto more positive things.

Happy Music-ing !!

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bhuskins
                                                                The HCA-3500 is a far cry from the Halo JC1's
                                                                :T And here's a review that backs up Brent's statement: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...rasoundjc1.htm

The HCA-3500 turned out OK, but wasn’t outstanding. How did it get so good and rise, like the Phoenix, from its own ashes to become the JC-1? You might ask.
                                                                Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Thanks all for your comments and concerns!

Now it's time to move onto more positive things.

Happy Music-ing !!
                                                                  In other words, you admit defeat and are trying to "gracefully" back out.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Okay, (MODERATING HAT ON) Let's take it down a notch, everybody. The stuff brought up here in this thread is understandable, but let's try to take out the bickering.

Kevin, I'm genuinely glad that you like your Rotel equipment. I know if my equipment was all Rotel right now, I'd find it very satisfactory, and I don't want people bagging on other people's stuff. So that's a GREAT thing that you like your stuff!

As for the review in question, the material and facts have been shown now, so hopefully the argument can be laid to rest.

Game on!

(Mytree, FYI, I fixed some of your quote formatting errors so they display correctly)
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2003

Halo 2 in 6 days! Thats all that matters!

sorry, couldn't resist! :T

If I mention my other Halo gear, I might upset the Rotel fans, even though in my review I stated the Rotel was quite good. :E

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                                                                      GameTracker -My List-
                                                                      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                                        • Oct 2004

Not here to try and defeat you!

Originally posted by nicholtl
                                                                        In other words, you admit defeat and are trying to "gracefully" back out.
                                                                        nicholt, there is nothing I can say to you that you don't already think you have already educated yourself with and there is no need for debate or defeat, it just becomes child's play and that isn't what we are here for.
                                                                        We all enjoy and love music and Parasound or Rotel both will get each of us there. Enjoy. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Okay, ENOUGH, really--put it to rest. No more "I have to have the last word".

Yes, ANY brand of A/V product will get you music.
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ProStereo
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 22

I generally don't get involved with user inputs over the forums.
                                                                            I've been selling Stereo gear since 1961, yes before many of
                                                                            you here were born!

Rotel and Parasound are both very respected names in this
                                                                            business. Both are very good. Both give you much product and
                                                                            value for your doallars. Both have flagship products and are
                                                                            darn good! Each lean to the warm side and never BRIGHT! If
                                                                            you get bright, you better look in the chain and find the
                                                                            culprit, often this can be the CD Player that resides towards
                                                                            the bright side and sends this along to the amplifier. All
                                                                            stereo gear together have to be in par with each other or
                                                                            some blame it on the amplifier. I see this many, many times
                                                                            with our customers.

Heck, I can garantee anyone here that you will be very
                                                                            happy with either Rotel or Parasound. Both get excellent
                                                                            reviews on various products over the years, but don't always
                                                                            put stock in reviews! The final choice, decision, desire,
                                                                            and conclusions will be your own ears! In this business,
                                                                            that is all that matters. When has any 10 people all like
                                                                            the same thing!! There is no perfect product, each have it's
                                                                            own characteristics and sonic signatures, you just pick the
                                                                            one that best fits you (and budget). So let us all appreciate
                                                                            each product and the hard work involved that these company's
                                                                            offer us.

Good Day!

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 504

#39
                                                                              I agree ProStereo...especially your note about brightness caused by digital sources such as CD players.

The only additional thing that people need to be aware of is that an amp alone CAN actual cause the tonal characteristics to lean to the bright side and another amp alone could correct this (all other things remaining the same.) My personal comparison of the 1090 to the JC1s showed this exact result - even though it was a minor tonal difference.

Like I said (and to be fair) the differences I noted were minor and only caused a slight preference toward a more neutral to warm sound from the JC1's. This really is no different than the article that noted the 1090 was slightly preferred to the HCA-3500 for certain characteristics as well. I would agree with the article.

It's like you said though...Everyone has different desires and the customer is the ultimate decision maker. Reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt...including online forums...maybe I should say...especially online forums.

Brent Huskins
                                                                              Media Design

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                true, true... nice to be back on topic!
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 1188

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by ProStereo
                                                                                  Heck, I can garantee anyone here that you will be very
                                                                                  happy with either Rotel or Parasound.
                                                                                  :T Agreed! The BIG difference betwen the units is IMHO in what you see with your bare eyes: Design, features, connectors, etc.

Some people will probably decide on either unit just only because some minor feature makes it more valuable to them.

Some people are probably seduced by the blue glow of the Halos. :B

Some people will like the industrial look of the Rotel. I went with a Rotel RB-1050 to drive my computer speakers - the amp fits in perfectly in my industrial computer rack.

Some people will probably go with Bryston simply because of their 20 year warranty.

Each one to his/her own.

Peter

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2004
                                                                                    • 355

#42
                                                                                    I noticed that when I switched my Sony amps out with the Halo's there was a far stronger midrange on the Halo's, but after adjusting the active crossover's midrange gain controls down a bit, it sounded almost the same. The Halo’s had an almost identical tonal characteristics as the Sony's, just a little more headroom and a tiny bit more forward and a lower noise floor.

My guess is that the speaker amp combo is very important, with most speaker systems being passive there will be a lot of components between the amp and the speaker, so there will be a lot of this Bright, Forward, Harsh talk and such depending on the speakers. However, with an all active system I have noticed that nearly any amp I put in the system can be made to sound very similar with some adjustments to the gains. The big difference is noise floor, with the drivers directly coupled to the speakers any noise in the chain is very obvious, some amps are noisier than others, but with a passive crossover I suspect this is mostly absorbed.

All in all with my setup the noise floor reduction was worth the upgrade all by it’s self, having a dead quite background during soft passages is a great improvement mostly due to the better match up with the Halo C2. The Sony amps themselves are very quite and IMO every bit as good as the Halo’s when matched up properly.
                                                                                    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• KathyMason
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 57

#43
                                                                                      just my 2¢ worth.........

Okay, okay, I've got to get my 2¢ in too.

I can comment on the Parasound A21 and the Rotel RB-1090 because these are the exact two models I had a hard time deciding between. I narrowed my search down between these two after listening to too many 2-channel amplifiers out there. I almost had bought the Parasound when my salemsman told me that I should take a listen to one of his personal favorite, like a hidden gem called the Rotel RB-1090. He said that it is often way
                                                                                      over-looked in high-end but gets close to some of the best of the best.

The Parasound A21 sounds warm, nice, and detailed. It reminds me very much like my high-end Marantz I used to have with it's warmth quality.

After listening to the Parasound A21 and Rotel RB-1090 for 3 hours with the salesman switching back and forth, there is something about the Rotel RB-1090 that has a very smooth overall quality that is very pleasing to me. Both are kind of simular in much ways but that smoothness of the RB-1090 is very nice the way it does it over the entire feq.spectrum. The biggest difference between the A21 and RB-1090 is the bass. The RB-1090 clearly wins in that department. The RB-1090 can get very deep down and tight, like I've never heard before. The Parasound A21 does a good job with bass but not that deep down very tight and well controlled as the Rotel RB-1090.

Okay, please remember that I like both the Parasound and the Rotel models that I talk about here but that these are my personal evaluation of my decision making so please don't flame me for it. This is my reasons I decided to go with Rotel RB-1090:

Rotel RB-1090 is the same price as the Parasound A21, but get more for my money with the RB-1090 so it help with the decision.

Rotel RB-1090........................Parasound A21
                                                                                      =============...................=============
                                                                                      380watts..............................250watts

Has two 1.2VA transformers.....only one 1.2VA transformer shared by both channels

excellent build quality...............excellent build quality

8 very large capacitors............4 smaller med.size capacitors
                                                                                      (almost the size of pop cans)

85 pounds.............................60 pounds

built-in wheels to move
                                                                                      around for us girls who
                                                                                      don't have a man to help
                                                                                      move it.

Nice smooth warm sound...........Nice warm sound

Largest SoundStage
                                                                                      out of all the Amps
                                                                                      I heard.

Oh yes, biggest and most critical difference is the Amp and Speaker combo! Some speakers can be VERY revealing on both these Amps, recessed speakers are always less revealing. I noticed some recessed speakers sound like someone threw a blanket over the speaker. I don't like that kind of sound at all. I like the more forward hear it all speakers. My speakers are very revealing so I hear everything with the Rotel RB-1090, very detailed and highs are very smooth and detailed, not harsh. All Amps have to go through a break-in so make sure you fully break-in an Amp before you judge!

Parasound A21 - Great review out on it right now from Audioholics.

You won't go wrong with either Amp. I could be happy with either but I gave my reasons why I went with the Rotel. I'm very happy with the RB-1090 and since I got it, I read great reviews on the RB-1090 from "The InnerEar", Stereophile, SoundStage, "The Absolute Sound" and some UK review sites as well as user reviews on Audioreview and other audio sites and forum sites and the good things the reviews are saying seem accurate.

Some of the reviews say the RB-1090 forte is an astounding huge soundstage, this is true! It's also noted to being a scaringly close to the Mark Levinston 336, but I never heard that model so I don't know.

I hope I remembered every thing I wanted to say, I know I forgot some thing. Just hard to remember every thing all at once.

Okay, happy listening every one and have fun. Kathy
                                                                                      Last edited by KathyMason; 10 February 2005, 00:36 Thursday.

Comment

• nicholtl
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 539

#44
                                                                                        Wow, what a review! Nice post, Kathy! And can I just say how refreshing it is to have a female audiophile's voice among us? Awesome.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 1188

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by KathyMason
                                                                                          Has two 1.2VA transformers only one 1.2VA transformer shared by both channels
                                                                                          This difference has a big impact. Since the Rotel has twice the capacity in it's power supply, it is expected that it is better at producing bass.

If the price of the 1090 is the same as the A21, then I agree with you: The Rotel gives you more for the money. (I'm almost tempted to say "a lot more" because of that difference in the power supply :B )

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"