X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesseRJ
    • Nov 2003

Rotel 1098, 1075 or 1095

I am new here so please be kind. I am about to start the adventure of buying components for a Home Theatre. I have B&W 802s for my present stereo system along with stereo Krell preamp KSL-2 and Krell amp KST-100. I plan to somehow get rid of the Krells and purchase a Rotel 1098 preamp processor and one of the Rotel amps. I am also thinking of the Marzntz DV-8400 universal player and small B&W speakers for the rear. I have very little room in the back so I guess they will have to go on the wall. I realize this is not an ideal situation but I still want the excitement of home theatre. I must say though I spend a lot of time listening to classical music so the audio is vital for me to be great. I also plan to buy a plasma display very soon but have not decided which one yet. I would appreciate any thoughts on my initial plans. Thanks. :?:

Jesse Joseph
    Jesse Joseph
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

JesseRJ,

I currently own the RSP-1098 and the RMB-1095 combo driving Mirage OM7 speakers and this combination is phenomenal. I believe Rotel and B&W work together very well , in fact B&W actually test their speakers with Rotel gear. Since you are running the 802's the sensitivity level is not an issue (91db), however these speakers have a maximum power capability of 500W, don't sell yourself short (better to have too much power that not enough). IMHO, the RMB-1095 would be my preferred choice to drive these beautiful speakers. You may even want to consider driving the fronts with the RMB-1090, (just a thought, if you are a stereo listener). Bi-wiring should also be a considered in your plans. Your mileage may vary.

There are quite a few forum members who utilize B&W speakers driven by Rotels, and I'm sure they will provide some input for you as well.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

If I were you I'd keep the Krell amp and either get another 5-channel amp from Krell and use it in a 7.1 system or to bi-amp your mains or perhaps get the KAV-3250 3-channel (X 250W in to 8ohms) for the mains/centre and use your current KST-100 for the rears. No offence to Rotel (I mean I do own Rotel and LOVE my gear and the company) but in my opinion it would be a step down from Krell. Sure still get the 1098 if you find it to be the best product for you in your price range (I won't really disagree with you there) but if you have the money I'd stick with Krell for the whole system. If not, still try for the amps like I stated and get the 1098.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

P.S.

I wish I had your problems! 8O ...lol

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

If it was me, I'd keep BOTH Krell units, and add the 1098 and one of the 5-ch amps... especially if 2-ch music listening is a priority.

At least give yourself a chance to switch around and see how the various combinations perform for music... if the Rotels outperform the Krells within any combination, you could sell the Krells later.

I wouldn't be too hasty in moving out the Krells just yet.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Not a bad option either , if ya have the funds...

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Frank T.
              • Oct 2003

I know this does NOT belong here but since the question has been made by Jesse, here a quick reply: The Marantz DV 8400 has a DVI digital video output, hence you will need a display device with an HDCP authorized (!) DVI input to enjoy this leap in picture quality. However, I have the sincerest doubts that you will achieve this with a plasma and strongly recommend a front projector or a comparable rear-view TV set.

Frank T.
              Frank T.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I know that I might catch some heat here from some of the other guys but for now, I'd stay away from the Rotel RMB-1095 (see my comments elsewhere on this htguide forum --- hint: Audio Hideout). The 1098 would be a wonderful addition; I absolutely love my unit and if you are looking to go for a universal hybrid player, e.g., Marantz (hey, check the Denon DVD-5900 --- it's right in the same ballpark $$$-wise as the Marantz and heck, they are part of the same company anyway) the tft screen will be great to use for your dvd-a menus (I own the Denon DVD-2900 universal player and I like having this feature on the 1098 vs. having a static screen on my hd rptv). You won't regret buying the 1098.

I am in the process of replacing my 1095 with either the new Anthem Statement P5 amplifier (just went into production 11/3/2003 and due to release ~ mid-December) or a couple of Bryston amps --- 7B SST for my center channel and 9B SST for my surrounds; I have the Bryston 14B SST for my fronts. Those B&W 802's are wonderful speakers. Are you more into music or movies? I know you are delving into multi-channel audio too. If you are more into music, your Krell amp will be awesome for this. If you are disatisfied with it, try to find another amp that does a great job for music. Just my 2-cents.

See the other section for my comments on the 1095. I didn't want the Club Rotel thread to be littered with my ramble on this nor others telling me I am a buffoon.

Good luck!!!

Jim
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Well you may be a baffoon Jim but not for your reccomendations :P

I still say keep the Krell amps too and the Denon's are a good reccomendation as well. Not to mention the comment on the usefullness of the TFT on the 1098 with DVD-A's.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• JesseRJ
                    • Nov 2003

:? I want to thank all of you who replied to my questions. You gave me a lot to think over. My Krell power amp is about ten years old and I wonder if the Rotel amps or other very good brands are inferior to it. I am starting my listening tomorrow at a high-end dealer here in NYC. Music listening is very important to me, more so than the soundtracks of movies. I will keep you advised and thanks again.

Jesse Joseph
                    Jesse Joseph

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Thanks aud19, you just made my day....

Jim
                      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JesseRJ
                        :? I want to thank all of you who replied to my questions. You gave me a lot to think over. My Krell power amp is about ten years old and I wonder if the Rotel amps or other very good brands are inferior to it. I am starting my listening tomorrow at a high-end dealer here in NYC. Music listening is very important to me, more so than the soundtracks of movies. I will keep you advised and thanks again.
                        A lot of people would say that because it's ten years old is a good reason to keep it! Call it the, "they just don't make them like they used to" theory. Besides, amplifier technology really doesn't advance all that quickly. I still reccommend the new 3-channel Krell for your mains/centre and use your existing 2-channel for surrounds. The lower power rating and any worries of it's more "senior" technology won't be noticed in the rear channels. Keeping it Krell should still give you a consistent soundstage front to back too. But the only way to tell is to listen.

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                        Thanks aud19, you just made my day....
                        Glad I could spread some cheer...lol

Jason

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

Hey Jesse, nice to see a fellow NYer. I was just at Stereo Exchange tonight and had my first glance at the 1098. I got there late and the store was closing, so I had no time to fiddle with it. Stereo Exchange has become like the Rotel and B&W center. They're positioned in all the demo rooms and placed everywhere around the store. I did come away with a Rotel brochure on the 1098 and a B&W 700 series brochure.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"