What is DSD and isn't it the same as SACD??? HDCD does not light up on Rotel 1098?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

What is DSD and isn't it the same as SACD??? HDCD does not light up on Rotel 1098?

Hi Everyone, :lol:
    I found CDs that say Telerac DSD format or simply a DSD CD. What is DSD besides Direct streaming?? I though that DSD meant that it is a SACD CD format?? Am I wrong?? So what is the difference between DSD and SACD??
    Also My Rotel Processor 1098 does not Indicate with a light or any indication that I am palying HDCD on my Rotel TCD-1072. Why?? The RCD 1072 has a red light that turns on when you play an HDCD CD but the processor 1098 does not indicate anyhting ( Light or anything). Am I receiving a true HDCD signal from my 1098 processor in HDCD or not?? I can't tell!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is no indication on my processor, except from my CD player 1072 that I am playing HDCD, then how would I know if my processor is really actually playing my 1072 in HDCD??Hope that explains things.
    Thanks in advance for all your help, ;x(
    Chinets
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

CDs use PCM, not DSD. If a CD (not SACD) is marked DSD, that means DSD was used for recording and/or mastering, but it's invariably converted to PCM before it gets put on a CD.

To decode HDCD, you need to use a digital connection between your player and your processor. Then the HDCD light should go on on the processor.

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Thanks Kevin P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your Kind help Kevin P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :T

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

In addition, using the analog out of the 1072 provides an HDCD decoded signal as well. Only one unit will be able to decode it, either the 1098 or the 1072. Digital connection = 1098 does the decoding, analog connection = 1072 does the decoding. It's up to you to decide which sounds better.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Kevin P says to get HDCD only through digital connections ,and Kevin D contradicts that and says if you play it in Analog then you can get HDCD.
          I have a HDCD Rotel connected to a Yamaha processor with HDCD and th RED light goes on does that mean I get HDCD if the processor does not give HDCD?? don't think so!!!! Even in Analog!!
          If i connect my Rotel player with HDCD to a Rotel 1098 with HDCD in analog will I get HDCD I don't think so either. I think Kevin P is right only by digital.
          Please tell me it can be connected by analog to in order to get HDCD because that is how I have it connected.
          I believe ONLY DIGITAL connections produces HDCD RIGHT!!!!!!!??????????????

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Ok, I'll explain in a different way..

HDCD is a decoded format, it can only be decoded in the digital domain. The 1098 can decode HDCD from any of it's digital sources, provided the source can pass the signal. The CD player does not have to have an HDCD decoder to pass the signal, but not all will pass it. (the RDV-1040 will pass it, the RDV-1050 will not etc... Neither can decode the signal itself).

So, if you want "HDCD" to pop up on the 1098, you need to send it a digital signal.

Now, the 1072 ALSO has an HDCD decoder built in just like the 1098. When you put an HDCD in the light will light up (just like "HDCD" popping up on the 1098). This means the 1072 is decoding the HDCD signal and sending the decoded signal out the analog connections. Now since its ALL READY decoded, choosing the analog source on the 1098 will not pop-up "HDCD" on the 1098.

However, the undecoded signal is still sent out the digital output and can be decoded by the 1098.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Kevin D is correct, and his post is more complete than my quickie post. If you had a CD or DVD player that passes but doesn't decode HDCD, then my post would be correct, you'd need a digital connection. But since your 1072 decodes HDCD and sends it out the analog outputs, you'll get the HDCD quality, even if the HDCD light doesn't go on on your 1098.

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Wow Kevin P and Kevin D Bravo!!!. I got it now. So if I have my 1072 connected coaxial ,In addition to my already Analog connection ,the signal on the 1098 will go on. Great!!! Since I have the 1072 connected with Analog the 1072 always lights up, but the 1098 gives me no indication. Therefore, if I add the coaxial and have my 1098 accepy a digital code then I presume my 1098 will indicate that. Brilliant.!!!
                Now, Can you ansewr this: Therefore, any 1072 even if connected directly to an amp. and not through a processor would give me HDCD too if the Red light goes on on the 1072 while connected through analog..RIGHT???????????? Or Not??
                Thanks Kevin P and Kevin D for your time and effort and helping me get this straight. Keep up the good work, you guys are so helpful, and I deeply appreciate it.
                Thanks,
                Chinets

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chinets
                  Now, Can you ansewr this: Therefore, any 1072 even if connected directly to an amp. and not through a processor would give me HDCD too if the Red light goes on on the 1072 while connected through analog..RIGHT???????????? Or Not??
                  Correct, or as you said, "RIGHT!!!!"

When the light goes on on the 1072, it's decoding HDCD and sending it out the analog outputs.

When the light goes on on the 1098, it's receiving HDCD via a digital input and handing the decoding itself.

One more tip: if you're using the analog input to play HDCD, you should use an analog bypass on the 1098 to get the best sound quality.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Kevin P ,
                    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    WOW!!! Thanks for your explanation. Perfect to the last drop!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Thanks man..you made my day,
                    Cheers,
                    Chinets

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"