X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin Olund
    • Jan 2010

Aux. Channel Delay.

Alright guys, techy question here.

I have a C2 controller driving my system. I have an A52 to drive my main 5 channels, and a bridged A23 for my sub. I have two custom made bookshelf speakers (as mains, driven by the A52) that sit on top of two custom made woofers. These woofers are hooked up to the Programmable Aux Channels and driven through an A23 amp and are crossed over at 250 Hz utilising the on board filtering. I also have a separate Sub driven by a mono-bridged A23, that is crossed over at 70 Hz.

My question is this. What would be the correct delay setting for the Aux Channels to sink the woofers correctly with the mains?

Thanks in advance.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heya, Kevin, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Very interesting setup you made there. While it may not be optimum, I hope it's working for you! I guess you're using a pass filter on the aux channel, but I have to wonder if you're able to filter the mains too on the high side for a proper crossover at 250 Hz. So I'm understanding that you have two A23's? (when you're able, you may want to get a different amp for your sub... subs need more power than fidelity, whereas A23's are more fidelity than power, oriented towards fine speakers)

To your original question, are you not getting good results using the same delay on the aux channels that you're using for the mains?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin Olund
      • Jan 2010

Yes, the set-up is a little different. I added the two additional woofers as the 6-1/2" woofers on the mains were lacking in the bass to mid-range bass region once I moved to a larger, odd shaped room (it's 16' x 40'). The minister of finance (the wife) would not approve the purchase of an entirely new set of speakers. I have the mains classed as "small", so they cross-over at the same frequency of the 12" sub, at 70 Hz. The additional woofers are both 8" and are bandwidth filtered from 25-250 Hz. The plan being to overlap the frequency in this region to increase output in that range. Overall it has worked quite well.

Currently, I have the speakers set to a delay of 10.5 ms as my mains are 10-1/2 feet from the listening area. It does sound good this way, but I was just wondering if this was the correct way to do so.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I would imagine that you've got the right delay, then.

As for the speakers, given your setup, I would probably configure them the same. Just realize that there's not a true crossover there between the bookshelf mains and the woofer mains at 250 Hz. The bookshelves are trying to go down all the way to 70 Hz, so you're getting duplicate outputs between 70 Hz and 250 Hz on both the bookshelves and the main woofers.

I'd be curious to see pics of your equipment stack and your room!
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin Olund
          • Jan 2010

I could take a picture and post it, but it doesn't look very impressive, I need to come up with a decent stand/rack to put everything on. The system consists of the following.

The Parasound equipment mentioned Plus the following

Oppo DV-980H as Transport
          Belkin PF-60 power filtering
          Pioneer DV-440 (so the kids keep their hands off my DVD therby eliminating scratches to dvd/cd's in my collection)
          PSB Stratus C-5 for center
          Mirage OMD-5 for rears
          A custom Built Sub with 12" Kevlar driver
          Custom built Bookshelfs and subs utilizing morel drivers
          Toshiba 37" Lcd, soon to be replaced with projector, just undecided as of yet
          Monster Cables throughout.

I know the Parasound stuff upstages the rest of the system, but it is the first step from my consumer grade system to the good stuff.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Right on. Keep pluggin' and keep enjoying! :T
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"