X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

HCA 1000 operating temp. question

We have a client we just did a system "re-do" for and we stacked his 5 HCA 1000 amps in the top of an enclosed M/A rack. They are all bridged. B&W 804s for fronts, HTM1 center, N805 rears.

The cabinet maker didnt really design enough airflow capability for the amount of gear in the rack so we are trying to keep the amps cool.

Question 1: Do these amps have a thermal protection device that will turn them off if it gets too hot?

Question 2: Are the B&W speakers (especially the fronts) too much for these amps to handle in bridged mode?

Question 3: In a wide open area, do these amps run hot enough that you cant keep your hand on the faceplate for more than 15 seconds or so?

The client is expecting more than is even possible I think. But we are doing what we can with airflow. I just was wondering what the normal operating temp. of the amps is so I have an idea of how big of a temp. drop we can realistically expect.

Thanks for any info.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Even if they don't shut off, the elevated temperatures will surely shorten the life of the amps -- or even worse, pose a fire hazard!

Why not add a pair of Parasound Zbreeze or a Middle Atlantic Ultra Quiet Fan Panel or some other innovative cooling solution.

Peter

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"