X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vince Helm
    • Mar 2006

new on Blu-ray

Can not wait to see this one, U2 Rattle and Hum on Blu-ray!

Vince :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

That's the first one that I bought when I bought my PS3, as it's also my all-time favorite DVD. If you like the other recordings of this "movie", you'll LOVE this one. Just don't go into it thinking it's going to be some pristine quality transfer for picture quality. The movie was shot (intentionally?) in a grainy black and white, and that's still very much the case with the high-def transfer. The grain is just much sharper. :T

Where the new transfer really shines is in the SOUND. I don't have the capability yet of decoding and playing the new high-def audio formats. So I currently watch/listen to the movie over a digital optical audio cable from my PS3 to my processor. It's encoded in DTS-HD, which is sent out over the optical cable as DTS. HOWEVER... first, the movie has never been available in DTS before. Second, we've found out that DTS-HD "downrezzed" and sent over legacy digital connections is still sent at FULL BANDWITH DTS. This is a practice long-ago abandoned by movie makers, so now you get a whole new level of sound quality that you've never heard before on Rattle and Hum. And that's not even using the HD audio formats!!!

The sound is much more robust now, much deeper in layers. One of my favorites on that disc is "Bad"... listen to the bass notes that Adam hits during the low points of the song. Before, they were there, and nice and deep. Now, they are positively rockin'.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

(oh, and I didn't realize initially that you had posted this here in Club Parasound, go check over in the "At the Movies" section or "DVD" section here in HTGuide and you'll see movie stuff there)
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"