X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

B&W ASW-CM Subwoofer Bass Unit Rattle

Hello all,

My ASW-CM has developed a rattle in the bass unit. I took apart the sub to isolate the problem and unfortunately it's not a screw tighten fix. The bass unit rattles even when held outside of the cabinet.

Here is what the rattle sounds like: http://bryan.frommfamily.com/bw-sub-rattle.m4a

The rattle only occurs once you have sufficient bass at a certain threshold. The threshold is pretty low, when sending a line level signal to the sub it will start to rattle around 1/4 volume.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I bring it in to my dealer for repair? The replacement cost for the bass unit on B&W's service site is $423.54 but they have zero in stock.

Service Manual: http://bwgroup-support.com/downloads...SW%20CM-TM.pdf

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Check your pigtails. These are the flexible wire leads going from the terminals to the voicecoil. Firstly they should have enough flex in them, secondly check for no dry joints on the contacts and thirdly, check if the pigtail is glued to the spider edge and may have worked loose, causing a rattle. I have encountered all 3 these problems recently on a pair of 802D's.

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Thank you for your reply windshear.

Are the pigtail leads the leads in the picture going from the cabinet to the bass unit? If so I made sure those were secure and when I played music while holding the bass unit in my hands I could tell the rattle was not coming from the leads.

I did not see any other leads and I do not see any in the service manual either (page 2 http://bwgroup-support.com/downloads...W%20CM-TM.pdf).

Best regards,
      Bryan

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

No the pigtails are the leads that go from the connector on the actual driver into the inside over the spider and then the voicecoil.

The other possibility iis that the spider has collapsed. If that is the case then changing the orientation of the driver would either reduce or accentuate the effect of the voice coil rubbing.

Comment

• bnieman
          • Jun 2006

I did try holding the driver in different orientations and it did not affect the rattle (it neither reduced or accentuated it).

Does checking the pigtails require dissembling the bass unit itself? If so that is a bit out of my comfort zone as it would appear it takes a bit more than the hex screwdriver I used to open up the cabinet and pull out the bass unit.

Again thanks for the information, I think I will take the sub into my dealer tomorrow (they are closed Mondays).

Cheers,
          Bryan

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"