X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkburton
    • Feb 2005

I must be a moron

OK - So I've finally hooked all the speakers up, and all the amps properly. Checked, double checked - discovered a blown speaker (L-rear) - and done the distance and level autocalibration twice. [BTW which is the correct order to do those tests? The distances came out different after the level test.]

All checks out.
    So I put the Halo on DVD - PLIIX mode....
    Front 3 speakers only - actually sounds center dominant.
    Tried cable (broadcast of football in 5.1)...
    Same.

What am I missing? I've checked all the menus, re-read the manual, etc.
    Is the volume not high enough to hear the surrounds?
    I really would like to DIY, but after I get the speaker repaired, I'm ready to pay to get this thing set up for me. Time is $$, and I just want to happily watch movies, football, etc.

Parasound Halo C2
    Krell 250 a/3
    Krell 250a
    Krell 250a
    B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
    B&W HTM Matrix Center
    B&W 804 (side surrounds)
    B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
    Samsung 46" 750TOC
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Blown speaker? Oh no!

As for the surround stuff, make sure that you go through EACH of the setup menus, selecting the appropriate things for you. You'll need to make sure you indicate that you have the correct amount of side and rear surrounds.

With the calibration, I've usually done them in the order they're listed. I haven't found them to change very much, though, if I re-run them. The correct official answer would be to do the distance test, then the level test, then the distance test again, then the level test again. Like I said, the results should change minimally, if at all, the 2nd time.

Lastly, if you've made sure ALL of the settings are correct, are you SURE sound is coming from the front 3 channels only? Even with DPLIIx, the sound will be dominant from the front speakers and ESPECIALLY the center channel, since the center channel is crucially focused for dialogue. Surround sounds are for effect, to draw you into the space, not primary.

If you'd like to widen your spatial sound, you can also increase your DPL "panoramic" setting.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• rkburton
      • Feb 2005

Great answer!

I guess I'm not that familiar with the different modes then.
      I thought the "best" would be with DPLIIx.
      Which mode is good for:
      1) General movies/ general viewing
      2) Action movies/ high surround effects
      3) Live sports/ feel like "you're there"

Any way to easily educate me, or link to somewhere "easy" so I can educate myself?

And, re: the dead speaker - see my link on the B&W page (don't know how to link here)
      Basically - always test stuff as soon as you get it, not 2 months later when you have time. ops:

Parasound Halo C2
      Krell 250 a/3
      Krell 250a
      Krell 250a
      B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
      B&W HTM Matrix Center
      B&W 804 (side surrounds)
      B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
      Samsung 46" 750TOC

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"