Dolby DPLIIx Upgrade - Do you think it will have this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris CRt
    • Feb 2004

Dolby DPLIIx Upgrade - Do you think it will have this?

I found this on the Anthem forum for their D1 unit, and it appears they just got the DPLIIx upgrade (sigh). It's in "beta" format, but here's the list of what they get in the upgrade:

"Changes from v1.03 to v1.04x:

1. Added Dolby Pro Logic IIx
    2. Added THX Games Mode
    3. Added ability to engage THX Re-Equalization when THX is off
    4. Added ability to engage PLIIx on top of DTS material
    5. Added ability to engage Neo:6 on top of Dolby Digital 5.1"

Can't we apply Neo:6 to DD 5.1 right now? I'll have to go confirm that. I know I would take advantage of the DPLIIx, THX Games Mode and the Re-Eq with THX off.

The poster is also having problems with the upgrade, which explains the beta part. I guess this is also why Parasound probably will have their dealers install the upgrade...

Got to love the FU part! :M
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

Well for now, THX Surround and THX Ultra2 on our C2's should suffice/tide us over as a 7.1 sound field experience with 5.1 source material, until DPLIIx arrives.

Comment

• goldear
      • Aug 2003

It's hard to say what Parasound is going to add to their DPLIIx code since I haven't heard if this is also going to include a hardware revision for the DSPs. One of the reasons for the PLIIx delay from so many manufacturers was because Dolby was trying to write the code for the current crop of Motorola single-DSP 56367s already in the field.

Anthem appears to have eleviated part of this problem with the D1 by adding more processing power with the inclusion of dual-DSP 56367s. As an aside, I remember talking to Tony many months ago and he did mention that they also wanted to go with the AKM 4395 DACs (same as the D1) which appear to have the same pin layout as the now current 4393. Hopefully will hear something soon.
      Chris B

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

Chris, when units of different companies use identical DAC's, what is it then that makes them sound different, considering those are arguably the most important internal component? Or do they even sound THAT different? I've never listened to 2 units utilizing identical DAC's or DSP's.

Comment

• goldear
          • Aug 2003

From what I understand, a lot of it has to do with the particular implimentation and quality of corresponding components. Units such as the Halo, B&K 50 and Anthem AVM20v2 all seemed to have similar DACs and DSPs...yet they also seemed to have distinct sonic differences and features. I don't know how far out of the chain some of these other changes matter...like Op-amps and dual-differential design, but Halo did do some things differently to take advantage of S/N, and especially in the design of their digital switching power supply, which is completely different from the others.
          Chris B

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"