X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goldear
    • Aug 2003

Opinions on DPLIIx

Hey guys,

I'd like some of your opinions on the Halo and its implementation of DPLIIx. I'm looking at getting a C1 and I need to know what you think about IIx...and does it have the flexibility that others do, such as being layered onto 5.1DD/DTS or even DDEX and DTSES (Discrete) soundtracks. How does it sound on music? Also, if any of you have heard Logic-7, I'd like your opions on how it compares to DPLIIx. After having lived with it, is this something that you would have to have on any new AVR/SSP? Thanks
    Last edited by goldear; 20 May 2005, 16:04 Friday.
    Chris B
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, Chris, I'm a big fan of DPLIIx. Since the update, I leave it on ALL the time now, regardless of the type of input signal--stereo, PCM, DD, DTS, etc. I find that it just gives a much better soundfield, enveloping you in sound. The only input I've noticed that DPLIIx won't handle is DTS ES Discrete (Lord of the Rings Extended series set) but that's a darn good soundfield too. I don't even bother turning it off to try to get a better sound with direct formats. Keeps is simple, too.

On a side note, I engage THX processing whenever possible as well. Gives a smoother sound. So I use both DPLIIx and THX processing (in the proper formats, of course--cinema, music) for television, movies, and music. Like it a lot.

No, I haven't personally tried Logic 7.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

Just like Chris, I use DPLIIx over Direct, which is what I always used to have engaged. However, I feel that the THX post-processing on-top of DPLIIx muffles the soundfield somewhat, and "deadens" the liveliness. I prefer to leave that off.

For music, I use only the multichannel-bypass (SACD/DVD-A), the balanced-routing bypass (CD), and Stereo96 (turntable). 2-channel is the ONLY way to go for music, man!

Comment

• goldear
        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys. I've decided to do something I haven't done in over 10 years: I've got a reciever in my system. I was at Circuit City yesterday and they had an open box HK AVR635 for sale. I've been reading the forums and this thing has been "generally" getting good reviews aside from some software glitches. This was manufactured in March, so, so far so good.

While I don't know if I'm going to keep it (even for a bedroom system), I've wanted to check out just how far technology has taken these little one-box wonders. And to my surprise, I am impressed with what it has to offer at this price point. DPLIIx (as well as HT in general) actually sounds very good on this piece...so I can't imagine how it sounds on the Halo. I'm still using my amps, so I'm sure that helps matters.
        Chris B

Comment

• nicholtl
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by goldear
          I'm still using my amps, so I'm sure that helps matters.
          I think that is what helps to bridge the gap in an otherwise vast, endless chasm.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"