X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Problems with MXEditor Live Update after DPLIIx software update

Weird. I downloaded the DPLIIx update to two different computers I own, including the new MXEditor software version. Got through the update okay, following the instructions for both Halo Control and MXEditor. So far so good. I ran the MXEditor program Live Update, which downloaded a rather large file. The size isn't listed when you download, but based on the amount of time it took to download, I'm guessing the file was 8-12 Megabytes. Then I exited and restarted MXEditor for the new software to take effect, ran Live Update again to be sure, and it said "No Updates available at this time". Great--everything looks good.

However, MXEditor didn't seem to be actually updated. The software version in the Help-About tab still showed 1.11.184, which the Universal Remote website lists as being a version from back in 2003. The firmware and IR database under the Help-Firmware Version tab were listed as way back in 2002 and 2003, too. Looking in the IR database, it was severely outdated, not having codes for any products in the last 1-2 years. So the Live Update didn't seem to take. Like I said, I have MXEditor installed on TWO separate computers, so I tried it with both and got the same problem.

Here's what I tried--
    - Close and restart MX Editor, re-run Live Update. Still the message No Updates available.
    - Uninstall and re-install MX Editor with the DPLIIx update file, then run Live Update. No change. Tried this with both installing the Discrete Zone code patch and without it, just install and update.
    - Uninstall and re-install with the standalone MX Editor installation file posted on the Parasound website. (on the DPLIIX update instruction webpage) No change.
    - Called Universal Remote tech support on the phone this morning. Spent 30-40 minutes on hold, and then talked to Damian. He said that the Parasound MXEditor is an OEM version, and Universal Remote can't provide specific tech support. The only thing he recommended was to remove and re-install the program, which I had done. (he did help me with another specific question, though)
    - Got right off the phone and then called Parasound tech support, talking to Tony. He said that all MXEditor and MX-700 support needs to be provided by Universal Remote. :roll: He recommended also removing and installing, and his other suggestion was to download the standard MXEditor program (non-Parasound) from Universal Remote and try to modify it to meet my needs. I REALLY didn't want to do this, especially since the Parasound website SPECIFICALLY states that the U.R. file will not work with the Parasound remote and will cause it to malfunction.

So, here's what I did--I save ALL files that I download and install in a folder on my desktop, so I uninstalled MXEditor one more time. The current file version listed on the Parasound website is "MXEditorv2", which it also states is necessary for the new discrete update, and that the old version won't work. Well, just for poops and giggles I re-installed the OLD installation file that I had saved last year. Right away, when I started the program, it tried to open my last saved remote configuration, and gave me a message saying "Cannot open configuration file. This was saved with a newer version of MXEditor. Saved under MXEditor 1.09, current version 1.08" interesting. So it started up with a default configuration instead. I ran Live Update--right away, it downloaded a very large file, and told me I had to restart the program. (interestingly enough, the new version didn't tell me to restart after Live Update, but I did it anyway on my own from experience) When I restarted, it said it was running version 1.12.231, which is current as of last week. Both firmware and IR database current too. Things were looking up!

I uploaded my configuration from my remote control. No problems. Then just to be safe, I performed the discrete zone code patch AGAIN as per the DPLIIx update instructions. (I don't think this was necessary, though) Fine. Tweaked a few config changes I was wanting to make, then downloaded it back to my remote. All fine, except I noticed that a few buttons weren't working now, like my C1 Menu, Guide, and Status buttons. Weird. Looked in MXEditor, and saw that no actual code was mapped to the buttons. It was listing code file 190 for the C1/C2 that I was using on the remote. Curious, I went into the IR database and saw that the C1/C2 code file in the database was 333, so I re-saved that as the C1/C2 code, and it mapped all codes to the appropriate buttons. Strangely, a few other buttons I had re-mapped on other devices had blanked out, such as duplicating my CD player "play" button to the "pause" button as well, because the player doesn't have a distinct pause button, just one that toggles play/pause. So I re-mapped the other buttons, saved the config, and downloaded it all to my remote.

It seems to be working like a champ now. But this makes me wonder if the "MXEditorv2" file posted on the Parasound website currently has a bug where it will download Live Update files, but not properly install them.

Anybody else have problems with MXEditor since the update? If nothing else, hope this helps somebody.
    Last edited by Chris D; 30 March 2005, 13:24 Wednesday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

Good analysis...I've always used the MX editor software directly from UR...the BIG issue you have to be aware of is that the Power buttons are backwards on the OEM Parasound MX-700 compared to the actual MX-700 from UR. If you're not careful you'll really have things screwed up and you'll be turning off gear when you mean to turn it on. I forget all the time when I'm programming C1/C2's and have to invert the Power commands to get them all in sync within the software. (Off is ON and On is Off) I sell the MX-700's from UR regularly in addition to the Halo version included with the C1/C2’s and like to keep my database for all of the gear I work with intact in one location.

The power button discrepancy is really the only reason Parasound states the warning to not use it in the first place. They don't want to support people making that mistake on a regular basis...I don't blame them. I probably do it 25% of the time and I’ve programmed hundreds of them.

As far as I'm aware UR is supposed to provide all of the support for the remote software. I would complain to the UR support manager if you don't get sufficient help.

Not to completely change the subject…but what do you guys think Parasound should include in future Halo processors, now that the excellent MX-700 is being retired from UR? Parasound has a nearly unlimited supply with their contract (so they aren’t going to run out), but it would be nice to see them offer the MX-850 or even the MX-950 when it finally gets released. The MX-950 is a beautiful remote...hopefully they won't flip flop the power buttons next time if the change to a newer remote.

I've even thought they should offer an upgrade remote and incorporate the MX-3000 as the remote replacement for people that choose it. It might bump the retail price of the C1/C2 by $750 if you selected it, but it would have factory installed Halo screens ready for use out of the box. I occasionally offer that to my custom install clients as an add-on but I have to charge more because I have to program it and I have to pay for the included remote (MX-700) as well. It would be nice as a factory upgrade option. Just a thought...

Brent Huskins

Comment

• Brian
      • May 2004

I'd like to see Parasound go to the Orion (850). I sold my Parasound MX-700 awhile back and used a MX-800. I've since gone to the 850.

And I agree about the power buttons being confusing. I've done the same thing when programming remotes for people, forgetting to swap the buttons. doh...

Comment

• Jon SS
        • Oct 2002

I had the exact same problem but just tried again to do a live update today and it worked! Perhaps they have fixed the problem on URC's end.

My version is still 1.11.184 though

Comment

• Jon SS
          • Oct 2002

Decided to do what Chris did. Thanks for this.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"