X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris CRt
    • Feb 2004

Parasound C1 Settings with THX Subs

Hello!

I have a random question here. I have a pair of M&K MX-350 THX Ultra subwoofers that I am hooking up to my Parasound Halo C1 unit. Right now, I have the sub out going to one of the subs and the other sub hooked up to Pro 2.

Under "Size Setup", I am trying to figure out what to do with the subwoofer settings. Obviously, Subwoofer is set to "Yes". Would I turn on the subwoofer filter setting? I know my Sub frequency is set to 80-THX, and of course, I have Enhanced bass to off. Where I get confused is here. I have my M&K subs all set to THX mode. Here's what the manual tells me:

Low Pass Filter Switch (THX) - When using the subwoofer with a THX controller, set this switch to the "THX MODE" position. When using the subwoofer with a standard stereo system or a surround sound processor that is not THX certified, set this switch to either "80 Hz 24 dB/OCTAVE" or the "VARIABLE" (center) position. The THX mode bypasses the internal crossover of the subwoofer.. The THX controller contains the crossover and sets the rolloff point of the signal fed to the subwoofer to 80 Hz. (This explains the Sub Frequency setting, correct?)

But in the Halo C1 manual, I find this...

Subwoofer filter (On-Off): A low-pass crossover filter that passes only the low bass (which subwoofers are designed to reproduce), and blocks upper bass, midrange, and treble (which subwoofers reproduce very badly). Most self-powered subwoofers, and many passive subs, have such filters built in; still, you might prefer to use this filter instead, because it works in the digital domain and therefore filters (at 12 dB per octave) without creating phase alterations. Don’t use both the filter in your sub and the filter in the C 1, or some frequencies you want may not be heard at all. If your sub doesn’t have a bypass switch for its crossover filter, adjust it to its highest frequency setting to minimize redundant filtering.

So, if the THX mode on my sub "bypasses the internal crossover of the subwoofer" and the subwoofer filter on the C1 set to on enables a low-pass crossover, this is what I should set it at, right? I think I just answered my own question! I guess it helps to write it all out for me! LOL! :rofl:

If I'm missing something, please let me know! Thanks!
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

Basically, if your sub has a "bypass" function, set that to "ON," and then set the crossover (80hz being THX standard) accordingly on your C1. If, per chance, your sub does not have a "bypass" function, which would surprise me greatly if that were the case, then simply set the crossover to the highest hz setting you can (eg. 120hz), and leave the 80hz setting on the C1 as is, thereby minimizing what Parasound calls "redundant filtering," or as I like to put it, leaving maximum headroom for the C1 to bring down the guillotine.

Comment

• Brian
      • May 2004

Chris,
      You got it right. Set the subs to THX mode and then set the C1 to 80hz for the crossover.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
        • Jan 2004

Yes, let the C1 handle the crossover, and by-pass the speakers internal crossover.
        My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"