X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Subwoofer Frequency crossover for best performance

I would like to ask if anyone has experimented with crossover for their subs and 800-802 series speakers

I was wondering if you could help me with the frequency crossover for best performance and so the subwoofer frequencies are not directional.

As you know I have three 802D in front and 802 in the back. Right now my sub is set-up at 80HZ and speakers set to small? My sub is JL Audio Fathom- 113

Should I set the speakers to large and what level should I set the crossover at?

Thanks any help would be appreciated
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

FWIW, although my pockets are much, much too shallow, for now, to consider 802Ds --

I run all my speakers as large, and recently changed the crossover from 80 to 60 Hz. This has made a huge difference in terms of cleaning up the bass, yet leaves plenty of it for me to enjoy, especially on recordings of Bach that do not have much of it.

My listening room is approx. 12' X 20' with a 12' wood ceiling, open in the rear and on most of one side.

Fronts -- B&W 683
    Center -- B&W HTM-61
    Sub -- B&W ASW-610
    Surrounds -- Boston T930 Series II
    Pre/Pro -- Classé SSP-800
    Amp -- Classé CA-5100
    merlin

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
      I would like to ask if anyone has experimented with crossover for their subs and 800-802 series speakers

I was wondering if you could help me with the frequency crossover for best performance and so the subwoofer frequencies are not directional.

As you know I have three 802D in front and 802 in the back. Right now my sub is set-up at 80HZ and speakers set to small? My sub is JL Audio Fathom- 113

Should I set the speakers to large and what level should I set the crossover at?

Thanks any help would be appreciated
      I have the 803Ds in one system; and A/D/S 910s in another that reach down to 20Hz (supposedly according to the A/D/S spec sheet with two 10" bass drivers). Both in large rooms as I believe you have as well. I have both systems set with a crossover of 50Hz and the R/L main speakers set to large (center and surrounds set to small). I can't adjust for 40Hz, but I think that may be a good setting to try as well.

I just realigned my one room with the A/D/S 910s and the setting was still best at 50Hz.

Give it a try. I find the subs are not directional at all, and the bass is very tight with no noticeable overlap between the subs and the speakers.

The other consideration you will have is with adjusting the volume of your sub to blend in best with your speakers, and depending on the output of your amp(s). I have my twin 15" Velodyne subs set with a volume of 27 dB, which is lower than they were intially set with the various EQ factory settings.

This is the best setting that I found for all music and for most movies. I sometimes adjust the sub's volume up a bit if I want more excitement with some action movies.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"