Will better amps for 805 produce deeper bass?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Will better amps for 805 produce deeper bass?

G'day,

I've got an 805 on loan from the local B&W dealer, and I'm busy putting it through its paces, using them as fronts for 2-channel.

I'm impressed by the detail, imaging and clarity, and (in most cases) the bass response. I can get tight, well-extended bass for most genres, but on heavier tracks (such as on Tool's "Lateralus" CD), bass lines that I know should be present are just not there.

(Although, some jazz CDs with low acoustic bass, and some techno CDs, seem to have deep, punchy bass that I can feel as well as hear...go figure).

Anyway, I'm only testing the 805s out using a Rotel RMB-1075, which I know is not the best amplification. I know, as impressed as I am now, that better amplification will reveal greater detail, clarity, etc.

But will better amplification also reduce the missing bottom end I noticed above? I suspect that it may produce a tighter bottom end, but will better amplification also produce a deeper bottom end?

-- Geoff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

In my experience better amplificaiton for the 805s will give tighter more controlled bass which can give the impression of deeper bass, since even quite rolled off bass lines are present. However the 805 does drop off its bass very sigificanly below 60 Hz or so (I forget the figure it's something like 57 Hz) - this is the laws of physics with a small bass reflex box and there is nothing you can do other than add a sub (which will totally solve the problem )!

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
      However the 805 does drop off its bass very sigificanly below 60 Hz or so (I forget the figure it's something like 57 Hz) - this is the laws of physics with a small bass reflex box and there is nothing you can do other than add a sub (which will totally solve the problem )!
      Thanks for the info -- I just wanted to make sure I'm not forming too negative an opinion on the bass response of the 805s due to my amplification. I suspect that my bass tests so far are pretty close to the best I can get with the 805s by themselves.

I'm loathe to add a sub for what should be pure 2-channel, mainly because I've never been satisfied with either the speed, or the musicality, of subs. Also, I'm not sure that reducing two channels of bass to one LFE channel is the best thing to do. Another negative: I like to run the pre/pro in "analog bypass" mode for stereo, so that rules out a sub.

So I guess my only options are to trade bottom-end for clarity, etc; or eschew analog bypass and get a sub; or move on up to the 803/804. Not options I can be happy with, or afford.

-- Geoff

Comment

• luszer
        • Feb 2003

hired goon

I have 805s and pair them with a ROTEL rb991 (the former to the 1080). They do sound wonderful, however the bass remains pretty tight and quick, however still missing that chest slam, but for my 2 channel listening experience I am not looking to jump out of my chair. I mainly use the 805s as full-range for 2 channel also incorporating the BYPASS feature on the Rotel 1068.
        The 991 or 1080 will provide less strain and better control vs. the 1075.
        I have also used an ARCAM FMJ A32 intergrated amp (2x100w). A much smoother more refined presentation over either the 991 or 1075 ( I also owned the 1075, but since purchased the 3channel, rb993, to match my 991.

My dilemma is, that I love the 805s so much, will I really enjoy the upgrade to the 804s or should I purchase the ASW 800 or 850?

Happy listening, Ron

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

The 805's obviously don't go very deep because of their size, but they can produce a nice clean and fast bass around 50 Hz and even a bit lower.
          But the real problem is your 1075, I've had one myself and it just doesn't do the 805's justice.
          The main problem with the 1075 is it's lack of bass slam, it's just a very mellow sounding amp but it lacks every speed what so ever.
          So you don't have deep bass (the 805's can't produce it) and neither do you have fast bass with good attack because of the sluggish 1075 which gives the impression of even less bass.
          Try a different amp (Parasound works great) and you'll be surprised.

Comment

• ekkoville
            • Aug 2004

Geoff, I know you shun the idea of a sub, but give a REL a listen. The ST series is very musical and accurate. The Speakon high level input connects to the L&R terminals on the amp and gives the sub a full signal to control with the onboard filter. I run a Strata and the speakers to large on my RSP-1068 and the sound is fantastic in bypass mode. If I had 805's I would be in awe I am sure.

Erik

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

a quick comment on the asw 850. dont under-estimate it. it is a very quick, and precise sub, and integrates seemlessly with 800 series speakers.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"