Dual ASW-800 Subwoofers for my 805 system; What do you think?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

Dual ASW-800 Subwoofers for my 805 system; What do you think?

HI All,
    Now that subwoofers can be found in many sound systems, I am curious if any of you use two. Please add your observations about dual subs to this thread.

Let me offer some background. My first system with subs was in 1976. This was a system based upon the Dahlquest DQ-10 main speakers. These were revolutionary speakers that introduced the average audiophile to the importance of imaging and sound staging. Dahlquest realized that the DQ-10's had inadequate bass so they introduced the DW-1 subwoofer along with a separate active crossover. I first bought one DW-1, then a second. Of course this was a bi-amplified setup. All of my subsequent systems have been biamped with dual subs. It is the way to go, IMO.

A few years later I graduated to the Acoustec Model 2 electrostatics, which had no real bass, and successfully integrated the DW-1's into that system. The DW-1 had no bad habits which made it very easy to integrate their sound with the main speakers seamlessly. Unfortunately, they were not bass monsters either only going down to about 25 Hz.

Still later, having fallen in love with panel speakers, I used the DW-1's with a pair of Apogee Calipers. Again, the DW-1's worked very well with the Calipers which had a reputation of being hard to add subwoofers to.

Moving forward to about 1995, I now had Martin Logan CLSIIA electrostatic mains. I was still using the (edit: meant DW-1's rather than DQ-1's'; sorry if I confused anyone). Then the now defunct Kinnergetics Inc. introduced the SW-800 sub which was specifically designed to integrate both physically and sonically with the CLSIIA's. I bought but not without some hesitation. They were expensive, required biamping, were only available in pairs, I had never heard them, and they were stunningly beautiful in Rosewood. Stererophile magazine rated the CLSIIA/SW800 combo as Class A speakers. That was good enough for me. The SW-800 are bass monsters. I still have them along with the Martin Logan's in my main listening room. They go down to an honest 16 Hz with power and authority and integrate with the mains perfectly. They achieve the goal of not calling attention to themselves. They just make great bass when called upon to do so. I also have 400 Watts per speaker, a Mark Levinson Model 23 power amp, driving them.

Recently I have been putting together my HT system in my bedroom which is where I watch most of my TV. Space is an issue. The room is 15 X 12 X 8 and not a lot free wall space. I had to be space frugal. Having always admired B&W's sound, I bought 805S's along with the dedicated stands + a HTM4S for my main speakers. Then came a single ASW800 sub. For the first time ever, I had only one sub. I really disliked the single sub setup. It was very obvious to my dual sub conditioned ears that two were needed. Unfortunately, the ASW800 is discontinued. But I got lucky and found an absolutely pristine used one in the right color on ebay. I bought it immediately. I hooked it up last night. Yes!!!

Life is good again. With two subs my initial objections vanished. What were the improvements you ask? First, the headroom has improved by a factor of two. The bass sounds easier, less stressed when pushed hard. On paper the frequency response has not changed. But subjectively, the system seems to go lower. I think this is because the dual subs are exciting room resonances from two separate locations. Response is probably not better but the overall room response is obviously smoother with much less boom.

Many folks think there is no directional information in low bass. Sometimes that is true because some recordings are mastered with summed low bass. In cases where there is true stereo information, bass does image in a subtle way. This is demonstrated by the way bass adds to the sound staging of the recording. You can tell where the recording venues walls are by bass arrival times. This also affects the perception of venue size. These things are subtle but important. Of couse, with movies and DD this is not a factor becase of the single LF Effects channel. But music is my top priority.

Last, my single sub, not being able to be placed in the center but to the side, distorted the bass imaging at the crossover frequency. This drives me nuts because it causes the sub to call attention to itself. I could not get used to it. With two subs I now have a perfectly symmetrical placement with each located behind each 805S. The overall imaging and integration of the subs with the 805S’s is much better and almost seamless. More level and filter tweeking should produce a seamless system.

The bottom line is this is turning into a fabulous sounding little system. I'm very happy. It sounds much bigger than its physical size would suggest.

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; 16 December 2005, 20:06 Friday.
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

Good read Sparky! Glad that everything worked out for the better with your dual subs. I always loved those DQ-10s.

I was wondering if you used the speaker level crossovers in the subs or did you have an external x-over? Were the subs tricky to integrate and did you use an measurement devices or, just your ears?

Comment

• Pieter
      • Jan 2005

Sparky, you're doing what I'm aiming at and have envisaged for just short of a year. Your post comes as a godsend.

As Phil has enquired, how are you crossing over the setup?

I am aware of this thread being in the B&W section, but were you forced by nescesity due to owning an ASW800 in purchasing another, instead of say, two REL subs?

P.S. - I've sent you a private message re your bi-wiring thread.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karma
        I think this is because the dual subs are exciting room resonances from two separate locations.
        Yes that is it. The best way to do so is one on each side of the room.

The best would be to have a processor whos bass management keeps left side lows in the low sub and right side lows in the right sub.

David Griesinger is a pro on this kind of stuff...

Comment

• Pieter
          • Jan 2005

Thanks for that link, Jim.

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

I think dual subs are a good idea. I had one sub in my HT setup before I traded it in for better stereo speakers and I definitely noticed that one sub off center on either side of the room affected my hearing. My ear on whichever side the bass was on became fatigued quicker and the sound itself was not balanced because of the extra bass on the side with the subwoofer. I was not able to place the sub directly center because of my TV.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Karma,
              I have got to ask you what a used ASW800 commands in price. I have one and am considring another. I am looking for the light cherry BTW.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                Thanks for your interest and informed replies. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Phil and Pieter,
                For music: Right now I am using the subs built-in low pass filter to cross the ASW800's over. At this moment there is no high pass filter for the 805's in the system. I am just letting the 805's natural low frequency roll off do the filtering. The speaker is rated at 49 Hz. I don't know for sure but usually a manufacturer will state this spec with respect to 1/2 power. Or, in other words, the 3 dB down point. The ASW800 filters are set for 45 Hz. This also is usually the 3 dB point. I don't feel this is the ideal situation and it calls for more tweeking as I noted in my article. It sounds fairly good, though.

For movies (Dolby Digital LFE use). I have all my speakers set for small in my Denon receiver. This tells the processor to direct all low frequencies below the set subwoofer filter to the subwoofer. I have this filter set to 40 Hz. It is not ideal but the next increment for the filter setting is 60Hz which I feel is too high. More experimentation is called for. I'm pretty new to DD systems so I don't feel confident that this is a good setup. I'm open to suggestions.

Pieter, I looked at REL when I first started shopping. I liked them very much. But after I chose the ASW800 there was no way I would mix and with another brand. I bought B&W subs to ease the integration with B&W mains. This would be a bad strategy if the ASW800 were an incompetent sub. But it's not. I actually like the pair very much.

Jim, I'm not sure that bass management is the answer. I would have to hear it. I do know that separating the subs from their associated main speaker can lead to a spatially disassociated image. I prefer to keep the sub as close to its main speaker as possible.

Jeff, yes that is one effect of the off center sub. But there are others. I had the same problem but not now with two subs symetrically placed.

miner, I paid $1425 plus shipping for the used ASW800. What I received was perfect. It didn't look like it had ever been used. I also know the average Blue Book retail resale price for a used ASW800 in good condition is $1500.

Sparky
                Last edited by Karma; 17 December 2005, 12:44 Saturday.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                  Am I the only one on this forum with two subs? Boy, I have a hard time accepting that. Clearly, there is some interest in the subject so those of you with dual subs are again invited to share your opinions.

Sparky

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Hi Sparky,

Ash has 2 x ASW675 subs. I haven't seen him post for a few weeks now.

A few questions about your set-up: do you ever listen to your system at high volume? If so, I'm interested to know how your 805S's cope at high volume receiving a full signal. Have you ever used the 80 Hz high-pass filters in your ASW800's? If so, how did your system sound?

Comment

• georgev
                      • Jul 2004

Dual Subs

Hi Karma,
                      I use two paradigm servo 15's with my Nautilus 802's and it is fantatic.
                      I previously used a single REL, and had issues with placement etc.
                      On obtaining the servo 15's, plonked the on eother side of my equipment rack and it just integrated beautifully.
                      I use it only for movies.
                      George.

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

George,
                        Probably a very silly question, but how do you set up your two subs?

Do you use one at a time to give your reference level, then turn on both or do you get your reference level with both on at once?

Also have you tried various placements - both at the front or one front & one at the back / sides?

It must be a stonking good sound on movies to have two x servo 15s beating at once! ! !

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                          Let's see if I can answer the questions.

bigburner, we need to define the use. I have the system set up for both music and movies (DD). Each has a separate front end signal path. For stereo music, I use the analog output from a California Audio Labs Sigma II tube DAC to a switch box then to my Krell power amp inputs. The subs inputs are obtained from the L and R stereo channels in the switch box. In this case the 805's receive full bore, full frequency bass. The subs are crossed over at 45 Hz with their internal low pass fiters. The 805's are not crossed over at all.

I listen loud but not ultra loud. My goal with music is to listen at realistic levels. This can vary the volume a lot. I'm still tweeking the subs levels and filters but right now I have a well turned out sound.

For movies (DD), my Denon receiver allows me to define each speaker individually as either Large or Small. I have defined all mine as small. This tells the Denon to direct all bass below the subwoofer filter set frequency to the sub. I currently have the sub filter set at 40 Hz. Thus, the 805's (and the center and surrounds) do not see any frequencies below 40 Hz. I do this because I'm frankly afraid to put the extreme bass energy from movie soundtracks into the smaller speakers for no good reason.

For movies I switch the subs inputs to the LFE output from the Denon. With these settings I have not run into trouble with even the most extreme soundtracks and I do play them loud.

I have not tried the 80 Hz high pass filter yet but I should give it a try soon. I'm a bit reluctant because I think 80 Hz is pushing the sub into an area where it is not comfortable. Also, it will cut off some of the 805's bass end. This may be OK. Integration between the 805's and the subs will decide the issue.

George, may I ask a question? It has been my experience that speaker integration for movie soundtracks is much easier than for music. Basically, almost none is needed. Since you only use your system for movies, I assume you cannot say whether the system is well integrated for music. I wonder if we are using the term "integration" to mean the same thing. What do you mean by integration? Lets see if we understand each others terminology. :lol:

Sparky

Comment

• JKalman
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                            HI All,
                            Am I the only one on this forum with two subs? Boy, I have a hard time accepting that. Clearly, there is some interest in the subject so those of you with dual subs are again invited to share your opinions.

Sparky
                            I don't have a sub at all, I had to trade in all my speaker gear to get my 802Ds, and I am not the least bit regretful. I will have two eventually, but that is far down the road. Subwoofers and center channels are at the bottom of my list. The 802Ds have great bass extension making it less of a priority for me since I would only be using them for movies because I always play stereo music in bypass mode. I may not even get a center channel at all... I A/B tested my system with and without one and found that besides differences in dB level the sound quality was practically the same as long as I sat centered between the two front speakers. Though, because I have three kids who will be watching movies with me in my office, I may change my mind and buy a used one down the road.

Comment

• JKalman
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                              George,
                              Probably a very silly question, but how do you set up your two subs?

Do you use one at a time to give your reference level, then turn on both or do you get your reference level with both on at once?

Also have you tried various placements - both at the front or one front & one at the back / sides?

It must be a stonking good sound on movies to have two x servo 15s beating at once! ! !
                              Oops, didn't read the whole post...
                              Last edited by JKalman; 19 December 2005, 22:41 Monday.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Jeff,
                                It's great to have main speakers that have good enough bass to be able to avoid subs. That's one of the good things about the B&W full size speakers. Subs really are a bit of a setup mess. So I won't argue against your chosen path. Won't work with my 805's though.

Sparky

Comment

• JKalman
                                  • Nov 2005

Karma,

I do plan on buying them eventually, before I get a center channel probably. My speakers work fine bass wise for music, but not for deep rumbling special effects. Unfortunately, I have to wait till I buy other things first, like a bigger TV and surround speakers, which will most likely be the 805s (though I am a little worried about them matching up with the 802Ds in the front, but I can't imagine jumping up in price to 7-8k for 803D surround speakers.).

Comment

• georgev
                                    • Jul 2004

Hi Caleb, I set them up with both on at the same time. Turned the one down and set the first and then turned the other one up and set it. I don't know better. Any thoughts? When you are in Joburg next, come and feel what it sounds like. Tremendous.
                                    Karma, I run my 802's as "large" through my Denon A1SRA which gives them a full range signal, and then I route the lower frequencies from 40Hz through the sub out to my Servo 15's.
                                    By integration I mean I cannot audibly pick up a difference in the low frequencies in spite of an overlap b/w the 802's and the Servo 15's.
                                    Enjoy.
                                    George.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"