X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Next step a HTM7?

Hi all!

After going nuts on the matter 705 / 805, I hope my next upgrade will be a little easier ...

I eventually decided to get the 705s. For harmonic resemblance I could (or should?) get the HTM7, since it's essentially a 705 on its side (or is it, there is a difference in sensitivity...). However there's also the HTM2...

- The HTM2 doesn't feature a FST mid-unit either. Will it therefore be a decent match with the 705s too?

- Assuming placement of an HTMx is a more common problem, any ideas?

- The center speaker will be placed on top of the television, meaning it will approximately be placed 1,5 foot higher than the mounted 705s. Will the soundstage be ruined anyway?

- Auditioning the HTM7 will be very hard (scarse availability). Any comment on the rumoured shrill performance compared to, for instance , the HTM2?

- Is the HTM2 magnetically shielded? This is not mentioned on the B&W website.

I'd very much appreciate any feedback.

Greetings!
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

weijst,

I have listenned very carefully to the B&W 705 and HTM7 combination and found them to be a very good match with each other. Voices etc moved seamlessly accross them. They have the same drive units with slightly varying crossover frequenies and enclosure size - but tonally they are almost identical (try pink noise and see)... Weirdly I found the HTM7 to be a little (2b on test) more efficient than the 705s but that was easily changed using the processor set-up levels...

IMO - If you like the 705s you'll like the match from the HTM7s. The HTM2's would only make sense if you wanted to upgrade to the 805s, since the HTM2s don't mate with any of the the bigger brothers in the 800 series... Get the 705 / HTM7 now - save your money and do an upgrade later to the 803 / HTM1

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

yup yup...i'm actually planning on upgrading to the 804s and HTM1 aslo, that's why I'm saving money to get the 705s w/Htm7 combo instead of HTM2/805s.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"