4x705s/HTM7 + DS6 or 4x705s/HTM7 + DS7 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c912039
    • Aug 2005

4x705s/HTM7 + DS6 or 4x705s/HTM7 + DS7 ??

Hi,

Im looking at putting together a package of 4x 705s plus a HTM7 for 5.1 HT use. I would actually like to go 6.1 (I dont have enough space for 2 speakers on my rear wall), and so my first logical choice was to go for the DS7.

The 'Interior Designer and Chief Financial Officer' has deemed that any speaker thats going on the back wall cant look like a speaker (that wipes out the possibility of using a HTM7 or a single 705 for the job), AND must be white.

Therefore the DS7 seems to be the ideal choice.

Unfortunately, it seems that its not going to be that simple.

1. Local retailer doesnt have any DS7s and wont get them in for a demo
    2. Australian importer wont bring in White DS7s, (but does bring in the rest of the colours)
    3. Importer refuses to split a pair of any speaker sets

My only choices are either -
    1. Import DS7 pair from overseas in white
    2. Purchase pair of white DS6s (which my retailer doesnt have a demo model of and wont get some in)

So, I would like to ask you all, based on your wealth of knowledge, will a DS6 cut it as fair as being put into service as a rear centre in a 4x705/HTM7 setup?

Especially as the DS7 pair will be much more expensive (considering I still have to buy a pair, regardless of whether its DS6s or DS7s) and the hassles of importing them (assuming I can find a sympathetic overseas retailer).

Your thoughts

Many thanks

David
    Last edited by c912039; 21 January 2006, 13:21 Saturday.
  • c912039
    • Aug 2005

Anyone?

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Uh, um... Honestly, I couldn't say without hearing them. My concern would be timbre matching the rears with the sides. If you were using say, 800's in the front and wanted to use DS7's in the rears, I think that might be an easier match (front to back). IMO, mismatched speakers from left to right stand out more than mismatched speakers from front to back.

From what I've read (never listened to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup) the recommendation is for 2 rear speakers, close together, which you said you cannot do due to a lack of space. The lack of space makes me conerned that you may not really have enough room for rear channel speakers at all. How far forward are the seats (couch, chairs, etc.) from the rear wall? I'm not really convinced that the rear channel speaker(s) provide too much return on your investment, unless you have a large enough room (dedicated HT room, etc).

What are your electronics? I'd consider putting the rear channel money into a component upgrade. What about stands for the 705's? And stand/cabinets for the HTM7 and electronics and monitor?

Comment

• perato
        • Jan 2005

In late 2003, I compared 705 vs. 602; I have not listened to DS6 vs. DS7. The difference in 705 vs. 602 is primarily the 3D soundstage. I have 705 as front and DS7 as rear/side in a 5.1 system. As far as I can tell, the 705 and DS7 are timbre matched and have similar soundstage characteristics. My guess is that 602 and DS6 would have similar timbre and soundstage characteristics. I did not try to compare my DS7 vs. 705 as front speakers though.

Your choice would mostly depend on what you are using the rear center for. If primarily movies, you might be able to get away with the DS6. If primarily music, you might be able to detect a difference in soundstage, depending on recording of course.

In either case, buying two speakers when you only want one is a ripoff. You should try your best to just buy one. Call B&W in Britain, if you haven't already.
        In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• c912039
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by grit
          What are your electronics? I'd consider putting the rear channel money into a component upgrade. What about stands for the 705's? And stand/cabinets for the HTM7 and electronics and monitor?
          Hi Garrett,

thanks for your comments.

I have budgeted for front stands for the 705s and will have to organise for custom stands for the suround 705s.
          Ive got a Pio 969AVi DVD player (not sure what the model is called in the US, but it's their top of the line player), and a Yamaha RX-V4600 amp.
          The HTM7 will probably be placed on top of a custom built cabinet that will be the width of the fixed projection screen.

Regards

David

Comment

• c912039
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by perato
            In late 2003, I compared 705 vs. 602; I have not listened to DS6 vs. DS7. The difference in 705 vs. 602 is primarily the 3D soundstage. I have 705 as front and DS7 as rear/side in a 5.1 system. As far as I can tell, the 705 and DS7 are timbre matched and have similar soundstage characteristics. My guess is that 602 and DS6 would have similar timbre and soundstage characteristics. I did not try to compare my DS7 vs. 705 as front speakers though.

Your choice would mostly depend on what you are using the rear center for. If primarily movies, you might be able to get away with the DS6. If primarily music, you might be able to detect a difference in soundstage, depending on recording of course.

In either case, buying two speakers when you only want one is a ripoff. You should try your best to just buy one. Call B&W in Britain, if you haven't already.
            The primary use for the rear centre would be for movies. I wasnt aware that multi-channel music could use the rear centre channel - I will need to take that into consideration.

Your suggestion to contact B&W in Britain is a good idea. I will do that and se what they suggest, regarding purchasing 1 white DS7.

Many thanks

David

Comment

• perato
              • Jan 2005

As far as I know, DVD-A and SACD do not natively support rear center channel. If you use DTS NEO 6 mode in your receiver, that will activate the rear center channel.
              In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"