X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

LCR600 vs. HTM7?

Hi, I currently have a 600s 5.1 setup right now and been pretty happy with it so far. But I've noticed one thing about the setup when I watch movies, there seems to be alot of cabinet resonace coming from the speakers, especially the LCR600. Is there anything I can do to reduce it? I currently have it on a Sound Anchor Center Channel stand, but it's not filled. Is this pretty much what I get for what I paid? I've heard of people liking the HTM7 better because the resonace is less of a factor for it, due to the isolated tweeter. If I upgrade the LCR600 to the HTM7, I'll upgrade my 603 and 601s to the 704s and 705s also at the same time, so I can have matching timbre all around. I mainly use the system for movies, but I do listen a little bit of music on multichannel also.
    Of course upgrading to the HTM2 would also be a good option, since it's even cleaner than the HTM7, but just that it'll be more expensive having 800s series all around, and I don't think I need speakers that good for a system that's mainly used for movies. Please give me your insights on LCR600 vs. HTM7. Thanks.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

The 600 S3 are renowned for having particularly flimsy cabinets (relative to the larrger speakers in the range)...

I like your upgrade option the best... :T

However others you could try include:
    1) Making sure that they are all set to SMALL with a SUBWOOFER crossover of at leaast 80 Hz (100 Hz would reduce the vibrations further)
    2) Using blu-tac or similar to isolate the speakers from the stands (I have used sound isolating felt from Car Audio places to good effect in the past)

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

thanks for replying Geoff. The center is currently set on small and at 80 Hz x-over, haven't tried 100Hz yet, but I will now. Unfortunatly, my Denon 2805 can only set a universal x-over for all speakers, not individually, so I might find the sub too locatable that way. I have museum wax that sticks the speaker on the Sound Anchor center stand right now and it's pretty secure on it. Would filling it with some kinda "deadening" material make a significant difference in minimizing resonace? The Sound Anchor site claims that the materials that they fill the stands with will minimize resonance, and I didn't get them filled. Should I try their material, or just plain old sand or lead shots?
      Have anyone compared the LCR600 to the HTM7 directly and felt that the HTM7 was much cleaner and free of cabinet resonance? Or I won't see much of a difference unless I move up to the 800s range? I really don't wanna spend that much on going with the 800s because the speakers will be mainly used for movies, with slight occasional use for music and music that I listen to are just mainly rock, dance, or hip hop.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

I'd definitely fil that stand... I've had good results with other stands using dry clean fine builders sand (you can get it in bags) - much cheaper than led shot....

Re the HTM7 it is MUCH less prone to any virbration than the LC 600 as it has a matrix bacing system and curved sides - BUT I would recommend mathcing it with the 705s to get a gfood front sound stage...

Geoff

Comment

• usmcninja
          • Oct 2012

LCR6 vs HTM7

so do you like your HTM7 better? was it worth the upgrade? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
          Hi, I currently have a 600s 5.1 setup right now and been pretty happy with it so far. But I've noticed one thing about the setup when I watch movies, there seems to be alot of cabinet resonace coming from the speakers, especially the LCR600. Is there anything I can do to reduce it? I currently have it on a Sound Anchor Center Channel stand, but it's not filled. Is this pretty much what I get for what I paid? I've heard of people liking the HTM7 better because the resonace is less of a factor for it, due to the isolated tweeter. If I upgrade the LCR600 to the HTM7, I'll upgrade my 603 and 601s to the 704s and 705s also at the same time, so I can have matching timbre all around. I mainly use the system for movies, but I do listen a little bit of music on multichannel also.
          Of course upgrading to the HTM2 would also be a good option, since it's even cleaner than the HTM7, but just that it'll be more expensive having 800s series all around, and I don't think I need speakers that good for a system that's mainly used for movies. Please give me your insights on LCR600 vs. HTM7. Thanks.

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

The HTM7 is light years ahead of the LCR600 and for what both are going on the used market this upgrade will not cost you much! Definitely worth the upgrade!
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Watch out for this thread... It might want your brains since it has come back from the dead...
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"