X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Speaker-Equipment Placement

Hello to All:

Well, my new major upgrade(s) are in place. As you can see from the enclosed picture, things are very tight on my main wall. SimonS, along with others have suggested that I make some modifications in order to get the 803's out of the corners of my listening room. I could move the equipment rack over to the left wall, relocate the subwoofer to where the left front 803 is and move the left front 803 inside of the subwoofer and move all and the monitor down to the right. The end result would be less separation between the left and front rights, but they would be much further away from the side walls. Any thoughts on whether this is worth a shot?

The other possibility is to relocate the sub to the left wall and move all down to the right, but I am now sure how this would sound with the sub not firing directly to the seating area on the other side of the room.

I am going to do something to tilt the front of the HTM1 up a little, and/or think about a new monitor stand with a slightly higher-larger shelf. The HTM1 would not fit in the limited space in my Sony stand.

I cannot wait until I can move to a new larger listening-viewing room - maybe within one year or so.

Stan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gostan; 06 August 2004, 13:40 Friday. Reason: add information
    Stan
  • Rags
    • Aug 2003

It would be good given the current constraints to tilt the centre speaker up a bit. Auralex mopads may be useful to get a some upwards tilt.

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

The HTM1 would not fit in the limited space in my Sony stand.
      To me, that is the major downside to LCD and DLP TV's, finding a good stand to accomodate a center channel is next to impoosible unless you build one yourself or are prepared to spend A LOT of money. The Sony LCD RPTV was my first choice but since it was a lot more than a CRT RPTV to start off I wouldnt have been able to afford a stand to fit my needs.

As already said, I would start with angling the center up. Unfortunately certain rooms are very limited when it comes to finding an optimal setup for HT gear. Good Luck.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

In my opinion, to maintain symmetry, you would need to remove both your rack and your sub and relocate them to the side wall. Because this would most likely require new cables, this might not be the best option, as you will be moving in a year, and would be better off if you were to buy new cables to do it at that time for that room.

With that being said, an alternative, while you would lose the seperation of the speakers slightly, would be to move the swap the rack and sub for where the speakers are located. meaning have the rack and sub against each repective corner and move the speaker closer to the tv.

depending on your room size, after doing that you could move your 803's slightly into the room, away from the wall, which might offer some added seperation.

You would probably also want to experiment with your sub on each corner to see which on has the best results. I imagine that would be a pain because you would have to tear down your rack each time you relocated it.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Of course, I can simply leave all as is and allow the speakers to get some hours on them and determine how they really sound after they are broken in. I was listening to a Kevin Mahogany disc entitled My Romance in stereo and it sounded quite good.

The right side of my listening room is almost wide open, so my guess would be that if I were to put the sub in one corner and the rack in another, that I would place the sub in the left corner and the equipment rack in the right corner, which would involve one complete break-down and re-hook up of the rack and equipment. I am actually getting much quicker at this. I think that I will listen and ponder. I did raise the front of the center speaker with three small pieces of granite (I am in the marble and granite business), so I will probably fabricate a custom piece of granite to fit under the HTM1 raising the front end for better vocalization. But, I will have to listen to that also. Patience.
          Stan

Comment

• gostan
            • May 2003

If i relocated my equipment rack to the left corner and the sub to the right corner and my mains inside of each, the mains each be about 24" +/- from the side walls and 13 " =/- from the rear walls, but they would be very close to my Sony LCD with about a 4 foot loss of separation. I don't really know if this would improve or diminish existing sound. It is pretty good now, so maybe, because I do not have the perfect listening room (who does?) I should simply live with my room constraints and use my avia disc, my ht digital essentials and radio shack sound meter to re-confirm and adjust all settings as well as can be made, for now.
            Stan

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"