X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrockman
    • Aug 2007

Brainstorming a multi-function TV stand

Had a bit of a brainstorm this evening and searched these threads for something similar, but was left empty handed. Perhaps because there are fundamental issues with the idea.

I'm in need of a tv stand for a 60" hdtv. Since it's quite tall - I've been looking for one to house a center channel underneath as well.

At the same time, I've been eyeing the Modula NeoD CC thread with the intent to build it.

The basic idea is to build a single enclosure that serves 3 purposes.
    1. TV stand
    2. Subwoofer cabinet (to replace my SVS CS-Ultra standing in a corner)
    3. Center channel cabinet (isolated from sub volume)

I calculate that I have about 11 cu ft to work with. Approximately 1 cu ft for the center channel, and 10 cu ft for the sub. (17"h x 52"w x 22"d)

The questions which I'd like feedback regarding are:
    1. Do I need to isolate the tv from a sub enclosure? (My SVS Ultra doesn't vibrate to much even when the walls do)

2. Can I get equivalent or better sound quality and quantity in 10 cu ft as the SVS? (for less than $1k) I realize it will not be corner loaded, but the WAF would go way up....

If this could be accomplished (it may be heavy), it would be very effecient useage of space and quite functional.

Does anyone see any fundamental issues with this idea or have input on similar efforts?
  • crazybastard
    • Oct 2007

Hey, I'm thinking of doing the coffee/tv stand-subwoofer enclosure thing as well. Definitely would recommend not putting any electronics directly on the cabinet. I'm thinking a large 5ft long, low s-shaped dipole cabinet with 4 subs. see link
    link

Imagine 4 of those side to side.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

kingpin has a sub project in the works where much discussion happened regarding use of a TV cabinet for a sub box. In the end he did not go that route. Somewhere in the top few pages here.

Building a speaker in like that means you throw away the baffle, which means the careful crossover work also kinda goes out the window. You might get muddy or bloated bass. Not at all sure how it would impact the Duelund filter which has time alignment requirements.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jonny_boy
        • Oct 2007

a nice 60" HDTV?

That wouldn't happen to be a DLP, LCD or CRT rear projection TV now would it? I'm only asking because I don;t think that these types of TV would live happily over a grumbling and vibrating sub/stand. I would expect the image to vibrate, the TV to suffer premature failure (specially wit the DLP's spinning color wheel) and possibly a problem with color convergence.

I would keep the sub in a coffee table enclosure or in a vertical cabinet tucked in a corner out of site.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

What Chris said....

The current version of the NeoD cc isn't designed to be used as a built-in. Eventually there will be a version for that purpose, but don't expect to see it for months...

The vibrations of a tube sub are damped by the inherent characteristics of the tube material. Don't expect this of a box sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

You will also lose any possibility of placing the sub in the location where it would sound the best in the room. Even trying to move it 6 inches to one side or another or position it further away or closer to the wall is probably not going to happen.

Chuck

EDIT: can't spell
            Last edited by chasw98; 29 October 2007, 15:11 Monday.

Comment

• Rbrockman
              • Aug 2007

Ok, you have talked me out of this idea for the reasons stated above. Way to many compromises. Back to square one...

Thanks for your input though, this is a great forum.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"