Can I build in-walls with this TV stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilverJS
    • Mar 2006

Can I build in-walls with this TV stand?

Hi all!

I've been a reader of this forum for a long time, and have been thoroughly enjoying my Nat P's (so has my friend with his, as we built ours together) for over 5 years now. I have another project that's been floating in my head now, and I'd like to ask for a bit of help from you guys.

I'd like to build a TV stand that's an actual "wall" (you'll see in pics), and the "shelf" for the HTPC/receiver I'd like to also use as a subwoofer cabinet (driver would be facing downward). Haven't decided on driver yet, still planning all this.

As you'll see, I've come up with two designs : one on the left, which is what I'd prefer, with integrated speakers; and the other, on the right, with generic monitor speakers on built-in stands.

My questions :

1. Can I use in-wall speaker designs with something like this? The "wall", btw, would be actually made with 2X4's and framed normally (16"), and I'd estimate the dimensions to be roughly 6' by 6' (I say "estimate" because although I did build this in Google SketchUp - which I suck at, I'll gladly admit - the final dimensions are not yet set in stone);

2. What I'd *really* like to do with the wall-mounted speakers, however, is something like the Totem Tribes - Link :

In other words, a really slim enclosure protruding 2-3" from the wall. Would this be a possibility also?

I don't have a set budget, as long as it's not ridiculous.

Much appreciated!

EDIT : I did start a thread similar to this one a while ago, and somebody suggested the Event Horizon's at :

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Just wondering if there are newer alternatives since then, or if I can, as per Q1, just do generic in-wall designs.
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The Khan-center + In-Khan should work well in your preferred design - I can't speak as well to designs others have done.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

No disagreement with cjd, but I have to ask, if you like NatP's, why change?

Acoustically, you have a wall, even if it's only 6' wide, and with this approach, in-walls are the way to go. NatP's have an in-wall/on-wall XO design, and you'd use the Modula MTM CC as your center, also with its on-wall/in-wall XO.

I would urge you to go flush mount with this, rather than your second sketch for generic monitors, for reasons shown here (excerpts from Toole):

You'd be using a crossover designed to give Fig 12.8A's response when mounted like 12.8B.

As to your Totem links, they're just a shallow enclosure, lengthened to maintain internal volume. Paul's Event Horizons are still over the horizon, it would seem, but they do exactly that. No reason you couldn't with NatPs, either, save for the 180mm driver requiring more room because it's bigger.

Unless of course you want to use the newer generation of drivers, while NatP/Modula and Khan-series use Dayton RS drivesr... I will note that you can use unshielded RS180s, which allows use of a smaller box. Just built a pair of NatP's in 20L.

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

• SilverJS
        • Mar 2006

Well - now I feel like a proper fool. Why I hadn't thought of that, I can't say. =)

But, on further thought, I think the enclosures would be a touch too wide for the cosmetics I'm going for. In any case - not to question what you're saying, but if I understand correctly, you're saying it's fine to take a speaker design and lengthen it (but also making more shallow) to preserve internal volume? I thought that baffle dimensions were pretty fixed in a design....?

I've actually found these, which are also by Paul Carmody. Not too expensive, bang-on cosmetically, and even available with pre-built crossover. Still don't know if I could use as a main, however.

Comment

• SilverJS
          • Mar 2006

For anybody reading this down the road and wondering, Paul Carmody himself did answer he thought that the CC would work well (in my application, anyways - with sub) stood up vertically, used as a L/R main pair.

So, that's what I'll do. Cheers!

Comment

• fbov
            • Jun 2008

Then enjoy! It's all about the custom application, glad you found a build that fits.

BTW, baffle width and relative driver location on it, are what matter on the baffle, plus tweeter distance to the edge if it's at the end, as for a TM, but not an MTM. Plus, an on-wall/in-wall application is best with flush mount to the wall, so there are no baffle edges, just relative driver spacing.

Have fun,
            Frank

Comment

• SilverJS
              • Mar 2006

I see! So, just to make sure I understand correctly :

1. Width of a baffle must remain constant;
              2. On a TM, tweeter distance from the top edge must remain constant;
              3. On an MTM, relative driver location (with the center as a starting point, I assume) must remain constant;
              4. If the above three are satisfied, one can lengthen the baffle at will, provided the interior volume remains the same.

Correct? If so, I might actually use that on this very build.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"