What cables do you recommend for B&W? Nordost okay?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tanwn
    • Jul 2004

What cables do you recommend for B&W? Nordost okay?

There's not much talk about cables here. I'm currently using Nordost red dawn. Can someone comment on nordost or other cables that you would highly recommend.
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Always a good topic.I find wire to be just as Important as anything else in a given system.

B&W speakers should have good wire on them.The owner of this site as his own wire,which if you read around,gets high reguards.

Wire is very personal and needs to be carefully chosen.Listening to different brands is key.Wherever you bought your speakers at,is always a good place to start.See what they use and why.

Over the years I have found some brands to work alot better then others.Nordost is a very good wire company.But again you need to listen.

I could tell you what I use,but it might not work well in your system.

Dan

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

Well you should start off asking yourself "Am I happy with my Nordost cables ?"
      If you are, no need to change them
      If you wonder whether there are "better" cables for your system out there, or you feel like you're missing something then I'd say start going to some dealers and see if you can take home a couple of different brands for demo.
      Kimber (which I use) ranks very high on my list, it's a very balanced sounding cable with a very full midrange and powerful bass.
      It's very good at keeping individual instruments and voices separated and it doesn't sound muddy or congested at all.

When I was shopping for cables, I auditioned several brands, among which Nordost.
      The cable I had for demo was the Solar Wind, ranking just below the Blue Heaven, which in turn is just below your Red Dawn.
      I liked the detailed and clean sound of Nordost, but in my system it lacked a bit of body in the midrange.
      When compared to the Kimber 12TC bi-wire it was also a little less full in the lower region.
      So I ended up buying the Kimber after a month or 2.
      I'm however told by many people that Nordost really starts to shine from their Blue Heaven and upwards.
      I don't know how those perform, but I could definitely live with Nordost and be very happy.
      If I ever change cables again for some reason, Nordost would once again be on my list for sure, but I'd try the more expensive Blue Heaven and Red Dawn then.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

This is B & W speaker forum, not B & W cable forum

First, the B & W speaker area is not about cables, it's about speakers. I've explained that before, but some newer members probably aren't familiar with all the prior battles in this regard.

Second, there are new hard rules regarding cables at htguide that should be reviewed in the "announcement" at the top of this page. What can be mentioned, and what can't and specifically what can't be linked to.

This forum is not only about helping members, but also about helping our sponsors. In order to do so, since we have so few sponsors, this forum is taking a hard line on some areas. You can use other wires, you can include them in your system configuration, you can casually mention them, but you can't link to them, you can't post posts that come across as advertising for an advertiser competing brand.

I know this puts a slight restraint on some of you, and I'm sorry we have to draw some lines in this regard, but if we don't, soon HTGuide ceases to exist because of lack of advertiser support. That would be good for no one.

Doug
        Owner
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"