X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesseRJ
    • Nov 2003

B&W 802s and Amps

After consulting with many people and this forum's advice, I will not buy a receiver to go with the 802s but, what now? At the moment I am looking into the Aragon Stage One pre/pro and their 3005 amp. Both of these components so far have gotten great reviews and I am trying to find a dealer in Manhattan who has them so I can hear for myself what they can do. Does anyone on this forum have experience with them or know something about them? I was thinking Rotel for awhile but I keep reading about all kinds of problems with them and I really want to buy well built and sturdy components with at least no initial problems. Thanks again for any info.

JesseRJ
    Jesse Joseph
  • Dan Schulze
    • Jun 2003

JesseRJ,

I don't have any experience with the Aragon Stage One pre/pro and their 3005 amp. I can tell you what I am using, if that helps. I am using the Anthem AVM 20 pre/pro and their MCA 50 amp. I am looking to add two additional amps just for my 802's. The Bryston amps have currently got my attention.

Like I said, hope this helps.

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
    My Home Theater
    I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• chuck1801
      • Feb 2006

I got 802Ds last July and have been driving them with an Anthem MCA50 amp which works OK, but this amp isn't really able to control the bass, it gets kinda boomy on certain tracks. I originally tried to power the 802Ds with a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver but that did not work very well, the bass was very boomy, unlistenable. The Anthem amp is much better than the receiver.

I auditioned several amps to replace the Anthem and the Classe CA2200 was the best amp that I tried without spending a huge amount of money. It made a big difference. So I have a third 802D coming for a center channel and a Classe CA3200 (the 3 channel version of the 2200) on the way.

I'm going to use the MCA50 for the rear channels, which are JMLab Electra 907BE. Eventually I would like to go with an all B&W 5 channel setup, maybe 804Ss, 803Ss or 803Ds. I'm using an Anthem Statement D1 processor which is terrific.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by chuck1801
        So I have a third 802D coming for a center channel and a Classe CA3200 (the 3 channel version of the 2200) on the way.

Eventually I would like to go with an all B&W 5 channel setup, maybe 804Ss, 803Ss or 803Ds.
        Copy cat! :W

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• chuck1801
          • Feb 2006

Kal, as Milton Berle used to say "Only steal from the best."

BTW why did you go for the 804S rears? Are you doing a review of them?

I'm looking forward to your review of the CA3200.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

The 804s have the smallest footprint of all the floorstanders, the same as that of the 805s on stands. No review planned but there will be comments on the system, w/ and w/o a sub.

Kal
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• worldys
              • Dec 2005

i have always been partial to classe/b&w pairing, classe seems to be good at briging out the detail in high and mids (that i cosider a b&w strength) without being bright, the delta series is a bit pricey but good deals on their previous models can be found on audiogon, classe gear is generally built like a tank and i haven't heard of many people having problems with them

my 2c

s

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by worldys
                i have always been partial to classe/b&w pairing, classe seems to be good at briging out the detail in high and mids (that i cosider a b&w strength) without being bright...
                DITTO! :B
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• chuck1801
                  • Feb 2006

I got the center 802D and the Classe CA3200 delivered and wow. I'm using it in a HT and music system. I played the 'The Last Waltz' rockumentary this morning -- LOUD, as per the movie's opening instruction. Spectacular, Kal was right, the matching floorstander sounds better than the horizontal center, creating a large and seamless soundstage -- it made me an hour late for work this morning.

Comment

• caleb
                    • Aug 2004

802 centre to go with 802 fronts and 802 rears must be the ultimate.

Problem is that for us mere mortals thisis a VERY TALL speaker and placement in front of a TV or screen is very difficult.

I envy you.

Comment

• johan
                      • Dec 2004

802 centre to go with 802 fronts and 802 rears must be the ultimate.
                      Not as ultimate as 800's all way around.... for all imortals....

Comment

• chuck1801
                        • Feb 2006

The 802D is not as tall as the 803D nor as tall as my former Paradigm 100s. I use a front projector and the picture is just above the speakers. I sit about 12 feet back and it works really well. The sound is the ultimate for the room, the 800Ds would I think be too much. I will have the 804S rears next week.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Must...... Post...... Pics!
                          B&W

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"