X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

Anthem or Rotel or How many amps does it take to play a SACD

Ok...new to this forum over the past several weeks. There seems to be alot of good info here, so maybe you all out there can help with my decision. Currently running five year old Integra 7.1 receiver, PSB Stratus Silvers up front, Strat Minis rear, C5 center, 6i sub. Got the upgrade bug. Can't afford all right now, so amp end comes first. Narrowed decision to Anthem MCA50 or Rotel 1095. Hoping to get some opinions from owners of either as to strenghts/differences. But then I ran across the thread concerning the importance of a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Logistically that would be a real problem in my house (finished basement), but doing a little investigating last night, my HT room is on its own dedicated 15 amp circuit (I shut the breaker off and nothing else in the rest of the house went dead). Only four outlets in the room, two with lamps, one empty and one with all my gear. Are the MCA50/1095 "amp hogs" and for my room, without adding a seperate circuit, would I be better off with a 1075? I think the 1075 would probably be adequate, but then again, you can never have to much power. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

While I can't comment on Anthem vs. Rotel (I've never heard Anthem), I'm sure your 15 amp circuit to your HT room is enough. This thread can give you a lot more information about that.

As far as getting the 1075 or the 1095, you might want to check out this thread and look at the sensitivity of your speakers to get an idea of how much power you want to have.

AJ
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• rdram
      • Mar 2005

AJ,

Thanks for the links to the other threads. Interesting results with the UPM meter...guess I won't worry too much about amps. The SPL calculator was helpful too. Just may be the 1075 will do the trick. What's really impressive about that amp is I can buy it new for around $900, or get a year old one on Ebay for somewhere in the $8's. Talk about resale value! Thanks again.

Rich

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"