X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofreak7
    • Feb 2005

Speaker cables..... EVERYONE MUST READ!

Sorry fellas, but I had to get your attention somehow. I am very confused lately about some of the threads regarding speaker cables. Before I start, I will say that I use a major brand sold in any A/V store. Only because at the time I bought into the whole hype (you've all heard it before) Well gee whiz Sir, you've got these great components and speakers.....you wouldn't want to hook them up with sub par cables would you? Now...that being said, doesn't a speaker cable (wire) carry an electrical current. I see all these posts saying how Brand X "sounds" better than Brand Y. First off, unless your using the EXACT same components AND speakers, you could never compare X to Y. Secondly, when has anyones copper wire given off any sound. I don't know about your HT setup but I think the sound is coming from my speakers...wait I'll go check............................yep its definitely coming from my speakers. Yes...O.K. on paper, solid silver wiring probably does come out ahead in the numbers department, BUT...is it audible (can you actually hear the difference or are you wanting to hear the difference to justify the price? Wanting to know all these questions, I did a test on my Paradigm Signature S4's using an Anthem AVM 30 and MCA50 amp. One speaker I hooked up with my Brand X cable and the other with...get this...an old lamp cord that I spliced at both ends. Both cables were about 7 ft long. I simply turned off the right speaker to listen to the left and vice versa. In my honest opinion, I heard absolutely no difference. I guess I just don't understand what people are "hearing" from certain cables. If you ask me, if I had it to do all over again I would just save my $ for my next upgrade. Just my .02
  • Cracking Oboe
    • May 2004

Audiofreak7

Firstly - let me state that I do not have hundred dollar speaker cables... but I don't use lamp cord anymore either.

May I ask you to do something for me before stones are cast?

1. Hook-up the lamp cord to both front speakers.
    2. Listen to your system for 5 or 6 days.
    3. Change back to your speaker cable and listen for a couple of days.
    4. Let us know the results.

(Generally, did you turn the volume up or down? Was the music involving? Did you find yourself loosing interest and do other things, or wander away?)

I look forward to your results.

Cracking!

Comment

• audiofreak7
      • Feb 2005

I understand what your saying, and trust me I'm definitely NOT advocating the use of a lamp cord to hook up your speakers. Its just that, to me, sonically, the bass, treble and openess, punch (whatever you want to call it) sounds the same. True....theres no dielectric or insulating in a cheap piece of lamp cord but again I just can't tell what I'm missing by using cables that are $3-6 per foot.

Comment

• zipbear
        • Feb 2005

Audiofreak:
        Be happy that you can not hear a difference so that you can spend your money elsewhere. I would also suggest that you dont dwell on it,testing
        various cables and such as it will drive you crazy trying to hear things that you simply cant.
        I am in the same boat as you. I couldnt hear a difference between valhalla $2500 cables and cheap ones. I was happy. If I begin to detect something wrong in the sound of my music, then maybe I will try some different cables or connects,but until then I will just concentrate on the things that do make a difference to me.

Comment

• audiofreak7
          • Feb 2005

Zipbear,
          I agree with you 100%.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

If it were only that simple guys. You know there are a lot of different variables of course.

There's environment, speakers, amps, sources, pre-pros/amps, then there's source material, then there's your ears. There are so many different variables, that there is no way that a person can unequivacally state that "speaker cables make no difference". You can't even state that, "you can only hear a difference up to a certain $ amount".

The fact is guys, it's all system dependent. If you can't hear a difference between mega-buck cables, and standard zip cord, or cables near that? Then consider yourself lucky I guess, that you don't drive yourself nuts changing wires. lol. As you know, my own take on wires is a biggest bang for the buck standpoint, regardless of type of cable. In other words, you can use a high end cable without breaking the bank, and Every cable should meet certain minimum requirements. I didn't say standard cables are what I use in my own system. I do use my higher end product. Can I hear a difference? Well, I've not sat down and done comparisons in a long time, but I love how my system sounds with my high end speaker wires. no, they aren't 2500 high end, but they do have 50% silver, teflon. I guess if one of the majors sold them, they probably would be 2500.

Doug
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

I am have posted an interesting article, read it.....it will help you

The article is named "Placement of Speaker is "THE" important aspect in HTS.......read on"
              Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"