X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackspider
    • Jan 2018

Bi-amping S684 s2 with denon avr?

Hello,

I have a Denon AVRX2300w avr which is connected to my S600 series speakers.
    The avr is 7.2 channels & i m using only 5.1 channels. In the user guide of the Denon, i read that i can Bi Amp my front speakers with the extra Surround Back amps which are not being used.
    I want to know if it is ok to Bi Amp my front speakers which are the S684 s2?

My denon avr spec is 95w @ 8ohms for stereo. Since the S684 s2 max power limit is 150w, was wondering if i m not giving them enough power.
    So is Bi Amping advisable for the S684 s2 in my case?

Thanks.
  • sgtjim57
    • Dec 2008

I am going out on a limb and say you won't notice any difference if you do it. The internal amps in your Denon unit are rated at 95w per channel, with either only one or maybe 2 channels driven. With the other channels being used that reduces the amount of power the amp provides to each speaker and adding two more will only reduce it that much more. If the unit has pre-amp outputs then adding an external amp would be the best way to increase the output from your speakers. My setup is with the Denon x4000 driving Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1 at 200 WPC. I've read many a posting on multiple sites that address bi-amping speakers and the lack of benefit over upgrading amp. But you could give it a try, and with your ears you might like the effect.
    Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
    SVS SB 2000 X 2
    Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
    Oppo BDP 93
    Apple TV 4K
    B & W N804 Mains
    B & W 603 Rear surrounds
    B & W LCR 600 Center
    B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
    Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• Blackspider
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by sgtjim57
      I am going out on a limb and say you won't notice any difference if you do it. The internal amps in your Denon unit are rated at 95w per channel, with either only one or maybe 2 channels driven. With the other channels being used that reduces the amount of power the amp provides to each speaker and adding two more will only reduce it that much more. If the unit has pre-amp outputs then adding an external amp would be the best way to increase the output from your speakers. My setup is with the Denon x4000 driving Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1 at 200 WPC. I've read many a posting on multiple sites that address bi-amping speakers and the lack of benefit over upgrading amp. But you could give it a try, and with your ears you might like the effect.
      Hmmn yes its seems complicated for sure. I only though of Bi-amping my S684 s2 as there are Surround Back amps lying idle & not being used.
      So technically when i Bi-amp the front speakers through the avr itself using the surround back channel amps, the speakers won't get at least 5-10% more power then just using the Front channels amps of the avr?

Thanks for the reply..

Comment

• sgtjim57
        • Dec 2008

They'll loose power as they gain power, the total output will have to be shared to two more channels outputing to speakers.
        Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
        SVS SB 2000 X 2
        Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
        Oppo BDP 93
        Apple TV 4K
        B & W N804 Mains
        B & W 603 Rear surrounds
        B & W LCR 600 Center
        B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
        Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I'll add my .2 cents.
          Long time ago I had the 601 S3 and the Nautilus 805.
          I don't remember what AV receiver I had, but I remember it had the option to bi-amp.
          I had thoroughly compared both speakers.
          I tried bi-amp via the AV receiver as well.
          With the 601's, bi-amp didn't make a difference. With the 805's, it gained a bit more bass from bi-amp.
          The 800 series is notorious for wanting more and more power. So my guess is that even though it's still the same power source, the 805's gained from even a little more power to drive the speakers.

Some people will tell you this or that.
          Best advise is to try it out for yourself since you have the option available.
          Doesn't hurt to try.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"