X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parsonsk
    • Nov 2004

Denon avr-2800

I'm wondering if anyone has a Denon avr-2800,
    can you take 4 of the 5 channels and bi-amp a speaker with it (2 channels to each speaker, 1 will be left over)

My second question is regarding upgrades. On the brochure it says I can add a separate amplifier...does this amp need to be 6 channels or could I add a 2 channel Rotel rb-1080 to run JUST 2 channel stereo and then when i'm back watching a movie in 5.1 it would us the original internal power.....seems kind of unlikely. If i add an amp (assume it's 2 channel) how does it decide what channels i'm replacing...??

I'm planning on driving B&W 703's, has anyone played with this set up or similar??

This is quoted from the Denon brochure

Pre Outputs for System Upgrading
    The pre-out terminals on the AVR-2800 is offered for Front L/R,
    Center and Mono (Subwoofer) channels. A separate power amp
    can be connected to these terminals to upgrade your system.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Parsonsk
    I'm wondering if anyone has a Denon avr-2800,
    can you take 4 of the 5 channels and bi-amp a speaker with it (2 channels to each speaker, 1 will be left over)
    No, the internal amps are pre-assigned (hard wired) to the 5 channels within the receiver. You can't re-assign them for bi-amping.
    My second question is regarding upgrades. On the brochure it says I can add a separate amplifier...does this amp need to be 6 channels or could I add a 2 channel Rotel rb-1080 to run JUST 2 channel stereo and then when i'm back watching a movie in 5.1 it would us the original internal power.....seems kind of unlikely. If i add an amp (assume it's 2 channel) how does it decide what channels i'm replacing...??
    Yes, you can use an amp on just the 2 channels. The receiver has 6 preamp outputs, one for each channel plus one for the subwoofer. You can use any, all, or none of these along with the internal amps. So, you would disconnect your main speakers from the receiver, connect them to the RB-1080, and connect the left front and left right preamp outs on the receiver to the RB-1080. The internal amps for the fronts will still be operating, but there aren't any speakers connected to them so they won't do anything to the sound.

Comment

• Parsonsk
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info Kevin,
      i guess the only problem here is that if i hook up a Rotel RB-1080 rated at 200 wpc it will be quite different than the 85 wpc on the remaining channels from the denon. This wouldn't be a problem for 2 channel listening but when i kick it up to 5 channel or to home theatre i would guess there would be a significant difference.
      Any thoughts on this?

Comment

• cuda65
        • Feb 2005

I have a Denon avr 3300 hooked up to an Anthem MCA 30. The amp runs the front three speakers and the Denon runs the surrounds. It works great! I will be moving to seperates down the road. But this set-up works great for me for now. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
        Doug

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"