X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • See-Fu
    • Oct 2006

804 d3 or 802 d2

Now that the D3's are out should the D2's even be considered?

THis is assuming i have a fixed budget, so would be comparing used to used
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Based on price, yes. A second hand pair of D2's would be a lot cheaper than a brand new pair of D3's. That's my plan at least. Get a used pair of 802D2's. But ya, depends on your budget, and what your ears like for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• See-Fu
      • Oct 2006

what if both were about the same price?

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

802D2 second hand price in the UK is about the same (well, slightly cheaper) than the new 804 price. A lot of it would depend on how big your room is, how much you care about residual value (802s hold their value better than 804s in my experience even before you consider the 802s in this case will already have depreciated a lot) and how important bass and volume are to you. I would hazard a guess based on my brief experience with the 804D3 that it would beat the 802D2 in a small room (such as mine, I just don't think it's worth changing) or in a large room with the assistance of subs.

The 804D3 and 805D3 have crossed my mind for replacing my 802D2s as I have a small room and two subs but I think selling them will be more trouble than its worth for a near cash neutral upgrade. If I had a big room it wouldn't be a consideration I don't think, would stick with 802s.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• dan87951
          • Nov 2005

I would recommend you listen to both. The D2's and D3's sound very different. I wasn't impressed with the D3's at all so I prefer the sound of the D2's.
          dan87951
          audio guru

Comment

• Edgeyboy
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TomScrut
            802D2 second hand price in the UK is about the same (well, slightly cheaper) than the new 804 price. A lot of it would depend on how big your room is, how much you care about residual value (802s hold their value better than 804s in my experience even before you consider the 802s in this case will already have depreciated a lot) and how important bass and volume are to you. I would hazard a guess based on my brief experience with the 804D3 that it would beat the 802D2 in a small room (such as mine, I just don't think it's worth changing) or in a large room with the assistance of subs.

The 804D3 and 805D3 have crossed my mind for replacing my 802D2s as I have a small room and two subs but I think selling them will be more trouble than its worth for a near cash neutral upgrade. If I had a big room it wouldn't be a consideration I don't think, would stick with 802s.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
            A pair of 805 D3's with (ideally) a pair of good subs or a single Arendal Sub 2 might make an interesting proposition, but would you still benefit from the fantastic midrange that the 802 has?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Edgeyboy
              A pair of 805 D3's with (ideally) a pair of good subs or a single Arendal Sub 2 might make an interesting proposition, but would you still benefit from the fantastic midrange that the 802 has?
              I do not think so. Despite the similar size and the similar cone material, the midrange in the 802 is distinctly different from the woofer/mid in the 805 in 2 ways:
              1. Because it handles only mids, it has a unique edge termination to further minimize cone break-up.
              2. It is mounted and loaded by the Marlan head instead of standard box/panel mount.
              (3. Also, it doesn't have to handle bass.)
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                I do not think so. Despite the similar size and the similar cone material, the midrange in the 802 is distinctly different from the woofer/mid in the 805 in 2 ways:
                1. Because it handles only mids, it has a unique edge termination to further minimize cone break-up.
                2. It is mounted and loaded by the Marlan head instead of standard box/panel mount.
                (3. Also, it doesn't have to handle bass.)
                Yes, I had feeling that would be the case. The midrange on the 802 is very seductive. The 802 Diamonds I had were something to behold. I may have a look at some 804 D3's but there's always going to be that feeling that something is missing.....

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Yes, I had feeling that would be the case. The midrange on the 802 is very seductive. The 802 Diamonds I had were something to behold. I may have a look at some 804 D3's but there's always going to be that feeling that something is missing.....
                  Well, the 804D3 eliminates distinctions 1 and 3.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                    • Nov 2006

Thanks Kal. I will investigate the 804 D3's.

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

The 804D3 is far beyond the 805D3 IMO. I am flirting with the idea of home demoing some 804D3s to see how they get on vs my 802D2s but I demoed the 805 and 804 against each other and it was a non contest as far as the midrange was concerned (I was disregarding the lack of bass as I have two subs anyway). Also good to see you may be getting back into the game Tom!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        Well, the 804D3 eliminates distinctions 1 and 3.
                        Eliminates half of distinction 2 as well as the FST is mounted in the same way as it is on an 802 just without it being in a head, i.e with the rod to the back of the cabinet rather than being screwed on from the front.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
                          I would recommend you listen to both. The D2's and D3's sound very different. I wasn't impressed with the D3's at all so I prefer the sound of the D2's.
                          That's interesting you say that. How did you find the sound different? I had a pair of 802 D2's which I loved. Midrange and treble were sublime. Thank you.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                            • Nov 2006

The 804D3 is far beyond the 805D3 IMO. I am flirting with the idea of home demoing some 804D3s to see how they get on vs my 802D2s but I demoed the 805 and 804 against each other and it was a non contest as far as the midrange was concerned (I was disregarding the lack of bass as I have two subs anyway). Also good to see you may be getting back into the game Tom!

Thanks Tom It's good to be back. I can't afford a pair of 802 D3's, so it's a second hand pair of 804 D2 or D3's or a pair of 802 D1's. The 802 D2 second hand is a bit of a stretch for me right now.

Comment

• TomScrut
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Nov 2013

Thanks Tom It's good to be back. I can't afford a pair of 802 D3's, so it's a second hand pair of 804 D2 or D3's or a pair of 802 D1's. The 802 D2 second hand is a bit of a stretch for me right now.
                              The 804D3s are great. Depends on how much bass you want and how much space you have but the midrange on the new series is far far superior to the old one in my opinion.

New 804D3s are similar money to a used pair of 802D2s I would say. £6750 vs £7k-7.5k as a guess. I think if I tried selling mine I'd really struggle to get £7500, as much as I'd like to. That's the thing putting me off trading down to 804s, even if they are better I'll have hassle selling mine, and won't free up any money worth the bother either and end up with something that will depreciate a lot quicker than what I have now.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                                • Nov 2006

The 804D3s are great. Depends on how much bass you want and how much space you have but the midrange on the new series is far far superior to the old one in my opinion.

New 804D3s are similar money to a used pair of 802D2s I would say. £6750 vs £7k-7.5k as a guess. I think if I tried selling mine I'd really struggle to get £7500, as much as I'd like to. That's the thing putting me off trading down to 804s, even if they are better I'll have hassle selling mine, and won't free up any money worth the bother either and end up with something that will depreciate a lot quicker than what I have now.

Hi Tom,

I think the going rate for a used pair of 802 D2's is circa £6300 - £6800 at the moment.

I've not had 804's since the first Nautilus range a good while ago. I liked them but the bass always frustrated me, or lack of it. Haven't heard the D3's yet so don't know how improved / extended it is over the previous models.

Real issue is we're spoilt on the 802 D2's. They are excellent speakers....

Comment

• TomScrut
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Nov 2013

Hi Tom,

I think the going rate for a used pair of 802 D2's is circa £6300 - £6800 at the moment.

I've not had 804's since the first Nautilus range a good while ago. I liked them but the bass always frustrated me, or lack of it. Haven't heard the D3's yet so don't know how improved / extended it is over the previous models.

Real issue is we're spoilt on the 802 D2's. They are excellent speakers....
                                  Yes so the 802D2 are realistically about the same as what you'd pay for 804D3s excluding any discount you can get. I haven't researched the prices of 802s other than thinking they would be on that ballpark

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

For once I would say forget the sound. Having a room with a pair of 802 compared to a pair of 803's is simply no contest. Love the look and feel of the 802. You can really see the quality from far away. If your room can handle them then I would pick the 802 any day. Also as others have mentioned you will most likely not experience the same drop in value as most of the value loss have been taken by others.
                                    Good luck with your new 802's.... ;-)

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                                      • Nov 2006

It looks like it'll be a pair of 803D3's. My last B&W's were 802 Diamonds, but I'm hopeful the 803's will give what I need low end wise with the midrange that is so good.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                                        • Nov 2006

So, I went to listen to a pair of 803 D3's and although the midrange and treble was something to behold, I felt that they didn't have a bottom end to match.

First impressions were of a transparent, almost holographic sound. Excellent imaging.

I listened to mainly older recordings that I know very well and the 803's certainly didn't mince their words.

However, as I listened further into the tracks, the lack of bass started to make the speaker sound a little tiring. I would best describe the 803 D3 as a more "modern sound" which may sound a bit weird, but it seemed to be all about resolution.

As I said earlier, my last pair of B&W's were 802 Diamonds. Though they not be as ruthless to older source material (aka music) and transparent, they were an easier listen as the low end gave the music more warmth. I had Classe electronics at the time which no doubt helped - the CDP202 was superb.

I will go and listen to the 802 D3's in the next few weeks, but have settled on a second hand pair of 802 Diamonds for now and until I have a chance to spend some serious time with the 802 D3's.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"