X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

Which Mcintosh amp for 802 Diamonds...

I was all set on the MC302 with my B&W 802 Diamonds but the Mcintosh dealer keeps insisting that I am wasting money with the 300wpc 302 and I really 'need' a 450wpc 452 with the 802D2s. Unfortunately no way to audition with my speakers. The Mcintosh dealer used Focal speakers and honestly I could hear no difference. The 452 has great reviews but hardly any reviews on the 302. The 2k price difference is not insignificant, especially if all I am effectively getting are the (admittedly very pretty) handles. More importantly, the 452 is a bit too deep for my rack (with the handles) and about 10lb beyond its rated load capacity! The balanced design is also a win for the 452 as my preamp (Linn Akurate DSM) is also fully balanced.

However, they look and sounded the same to me!!!!!

Has anyone compared these two amps side by side or with the 802 Diamond?
  • ninja12
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by akhter
    I was all set on the MC302 with my B&W 802 Diamonds but the Mcintosh dealer keeps insisting that I am wasting money with the 300wpc 302 and I really 'need' a 450wpc 452 with the 802D2s. Unfortunately no way to audition with my speakers. The Mcintosh dealer used Focal speakers and honestly I could hear no difference. The 452 has great reviews but hardly any reviews on the 302. The 2k price difference is not insignificant, especially if all I am effectively getting are the (admittedly very pretty) handles. More importantly, the 452 is a bit too deep for my rack (with the handles) and about 10lb beyond its rated load capacity! The balanced design is also a win for the 452 as my preamp (Linn Akurate DSM) is also fully balanced.

The 802 Diamonds are very efficient speakers which means it shouldn't require too much power to drive them. I think 300 watts is more than enough to drive your speakers. You said that it sounded the same to you, and you are probably correct. In order to gain 3db, you have to double the power. So, in order to gain 3db, you will have to go from 300 wpc to 600 wpc. I think you will be very happy with the 300 wpc unless you just want to give your dealer and extra 2k to put a smile on his face. If it was me, I would go with the 300 wpc and call it a day; but, the decision is really yours.

Good luck!!! :T
    Last edited by ninja12; 31 August 2012, 09:40 Friday.

Comment

• Rod#S
      • Oct 2010

I honestly can't imagine hearing a difference unless you double the wattage or more than double it. I would think the amps would have to have a different sonic signature between them to notice a difference in sound or performance since the extra 150 watts alone will not be too noticeable if at all.
      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

somehow i like Classe amp sound. McIntosh usually sounds slow and muddy.
        with that said, 300W should be plenty enough for 802Diamond, unless you have a bigger than normal room.

Comment

• Nuz1
          • Jun 2011

I haven't heard the 302 so I can't contrast the MC302 vs MC452. But I've heard the 452 and been doing some reading on another board and they say the 452 is a different design and sound. After hearing the difference, many owners on that board have traded out older amps for the MC452 or even MC601s. But as we always say, only your ears can decide what's right for you.

Comment

• leo2498
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by akhter

Hi Akhter,
            when you was trying the classe gear it was the new or the older version? when you listen your 802di with your current set up the harsh was gone?
            Leo,
            Saludos
            My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• akhter
              • Jun 2005

Hello leo:

All the classe gear and B&W speakers were the latest spec. The showroom was not a dealer but owned by B&W. I live in Hong Kong and B&W only sell 800 series directly and not via dealers.

Comment

• Glenee
                • Aug 2006

Not the Same McIntosh Amps

Originally posted by Antus
                somehow i like Classe amp sound. McIntosh usually sounds slow and muddy.
                with that said, 300W should be plenty enough for 802Diamond, unless you have a bigger than normal room.
                I used to think that when I was running the 252 and the 501 mono blocks. The new amps from McIntosh are killer they have more sparkle in the top end and they fixed the low end, and they maintained the Mid Range they have always had. The new Amps are a lot quicker and just and overall improvement in all ways. I had the MC302 and MC452 at my house at the same time and I actually preferred the sound of the 302 to the 452. I ended up selling the 302 and kept the 452 just in case I would ever change speakers and need the extra power. In short if it's been a while since you listened to a Mac Amp have a ear full and enjoy.

Comment

• windshear
                  • Dec 2004

I can understand how you feel about the difference in power. Im currently going through a similar situation with my equipment. My present amp is 300w and im testing the 600w monoblocs of the same series, in the hope of "upgrading". They sound identical and so far i cannot notice a difference, im trying to imagine that i can hear a difference in bass extension, but even then im unsure. More power does not always translate into an in your face difference , it may be subtle at the best of times, especially if you arent driving the equipment into a range where you need it, let alone notice it.

Comment

• Glenee
                    • Aug 2006

In most cases you can't look at power as a db and spl producer. Most people get caught up in the DB/SPL output from a certain speaker. All electrical engineers and people who try to use SPL output versus wattage, forget about the ability of a Amp to maintain what it's doing and also that other little load that comes along from time to time. A Radio Shack SPL meter is useless in this. What you need to think about is really the Amps ability to hit certain notes without any strain. Then it also has to maintain the rest of the music while doing this, this is where the real benefits are noticiable when considering POWER as a purchasing consideration.I could go on and on but it would make too much sense.I will tell you that I have seen better 200watt Amps than 500 watt Amp, just because of this exact thing.

Comment

• mb225
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Glenee
                      I used to think that when I was running the 252 and the 501 mono blocks. The new amps from McIntosh are killer they have more sparkle in the top end and they fixed the low end, and they maintained the Mid Range they have always had. The new Amps are a lot quicker and just and overall improvement in all ways. I had the MC302 and MC452 at my house at the same time and I actually preferred the sound of the 302 to the 452. I ended up selling the 302 and kept the 452 just in case I would ever change speakers and need the extra power. In short if it's been a while since you listened to a Mac Amp have a ear full and enjoy.
                      Hi Glenee,
                      I've been dreaming about upgrading to a MC amp. Can you give a little more detail? What do you mean by "fixed the low end"?

Also, you said you preferred the 302 but kept the 452. Does anything stand out between the two? Or was it subtle and you just went for extra power?

Thanks!

Comment

• Glenee
                        • Aug 2006

Glenee on Sound

Originally posted by mb225
                        Hi Glenee,
                        I've been dreaming about upgrading to a MC amp. Can you give a little more detail? What do you mean by "fixed the low end"?

Also, you said you preferred the 302 but kept the 452. Does anything stand out between the two? Or was it subtle and you just went for extra power?

Thanks!
                        It might have been all in my head. (That has Happened before). I thought in my personal evaluation of the 2 Amps at the same time, that the 302 was a little quicker and just a little more detailed at low volume. What I mean by fixing the Bass in my opinion is: McIntosh Amps have for years in their more powerful Amps had a tendency to linger on a Bass note. What I mean by this is they never could get it to get off the Bass Note with a sharp cut off as it should be for that note. The newer Amps are very defined in their Quickness and just get all notes just right.( or as well as can be expected from a electronic piece of equipment) You know that all this amounts to a personal taste of music. I like my sound to be like a live performance in a smokey old bar room or speak easy. I don't like it in my face concert levels and all the definition that goes with it. I have had various Amps and equipment over the years and always drift back to this kind of sound.
                        Glenee Quote : If it sound better in another room than the room the System is in, It's not for Me.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"